Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jeff Stelling to leave Soccer Saturday at the end of this season

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2021
    He's got an impressive collection of mobile 'phone covers.

Hartlepool United Phone Cases  Redbubble
  • Options
    Lost a lot of time for him when he started hawking a betting company.

A very tough act to follow, though - pretty much single-handedly invented a new genre of sports TV.
  • Options

A very tough act to follow, though - pretty much single-handedly invented a new genre of sports TV.
    It’s likely in his sky contract that he should be able to promote sky products, sky bet being one of them. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I love him, although too often when he says "and the deadlocks been broken at the Valley, but by who? Over to Chris Kamara" 

"Yeah and its the visitors who take the lead Jeff" oh ffs 

I've got a story about Jeff Stelling, I was on my way to buy some LED disco lights when I was still in the mobile disco game and saw him at South Mimms, now this wasn't entirely shocking as I'd hear him mention in am interview thats where he goes to do all his research for the Saturday. My mate I was with got a nudge in the ribs as we were queuing up for some motorway service station slop and I said look, thats Jeff Stelling, from soccer Saturday and countdown, shall we go and say hello. My mate looked over and said to me I'd lost my marbles as it didn't look anything like him (it was 100% Jeff Stelling) so I had another look and by this time he had probably clocked me and was either preparing himself to smile through gritted teeth or tensing himself up st the prospect of a couple of muppets distracting him. 

I decided to go for it and took him over a coffee and a kitkat as a gesture of goodwill and said hello, didn't want to disturb him but "I love your jokes and knowledge of the game Jeff" and he couldn't have been nicer and laughed his head off and thanked me for the sustenance (no sugar in coffee for Jeff) he asked who I supported, told him Charlton and he asked if I was going to the game at the weekend, told him yes I definitely was. And he said to keep an eye on the young Portuguese kid united had just signed as between me and him could well be the real deal if he can handle getting kicked. I thanked him, he also gave me a nap to back someone like Leicester that weekend which I followed and won. 

Good man Jeff Stelling
    I understand he’s quite small and wouldn’t get anywhere near passing an Addicks height test.
    About 5ft 6in I believe?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Give it to Clinton Morrison. He's the only real candidate.
    Better still, Clinton Baptiste. He could give us all the results at 3pm and we could get on and enjoy our afternoons.
  • Options
    Laura Woods is a good shout and wouldn’t be surprised if she replaces Warren on the midweek edition 
  • Options

• Options
    Caroline Barker sometimes anchors matches, I'm sure she'd be good, but probably nowhere near top of the list
  • Options

It’s likely in his sky contract that he should be able to promote sky products, sky bet being one of them. 
    It isn't. The trading name Sky Bet is owned by Flutter Entertainment plc; the same Ireland-based people that own Paddy Power and Betfair.  They pay Sky a fee for use of the name.
  • Options
    Curbs 16/1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcfan said:

It isn't. The trading name Sky Bet is owned by Flutter Entertainment plc; the same Ireland-based people that own Paddy Power and Betfair.  They pay Sky a fee for use of the name.
    You've seen his contract?
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I love him, although too often when he says "and the deadlocks been broken at the Valley, but by who? Over to Chris Kamara" 

"Yeah and its the visitors who take the lead Jeff" oh ffs 

I've got a story about Jeff Stelling, I was on my way to buy some LED disco lights when I was still in the mobile disco game and saw him at South Mimms, now this wasn't entirely shocking as I'd hear him mention in am interview thats where he goes to do all his research for the Saturday. My mate I was with got a nudge in the ribs as we were queuing up for some motorway service station slop and I said look, thats Jeff Stelling, from soccer Saturday and countdown, shall we go and say hello. My mate looked over and said to me I'd lost my marbles as it didn't look anything like him (it was 100% Jeff Stelling) so I had another look and by this time he had probably clocked me and was either preparing himself to smile through gritted teeth or tensing himself up st the prospect of a couple of muppets distracting him. 

I decided to go for it and took him over a coffee and a kitkat as a gesture of goodwill and said hello, didn't want to disturb him but "I love your jokes and knowledge of the game Jeff" and he couldn't have been nicer and laughed his head off and thanked me for the sustenance (no sugar in coffee for Jeff) he asked who I supported, told him Charlton and he asked if I was going to the game at the weekend, told him yes I definitely was. And he said to keep an eye on the young Portuguese kid united had just signed as between me and him could well be the real deal if he can handle getting kicked. I thanked him, he also gave me a nap to back someone like Leicester that weekend which I followed and won. 

Good man Jeff Stelling
    I understand he’s quite small and wouldn’t get anywhere near passing an Addicks height test.
    About 5ft 6in I believe?
    Haven't got a clue he was sat down 
  • Options
    Got to be Warren in my opinion. Jeff leaving is very disappointing, watched him over the last 20+ years, he IS Soccer Saturday!!
    Just don't give it to Sue Smith, she is dire!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    cafcfan said:

Of course not. I was referring to the comment "to promote sky products, sky bet being one of them". It isn't.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Off_it said:
    cafcfan said:

Of course not. I was referring to the comment "to promote sky products, sky bet being one of them". It isn't.
    Of course it’s a sky product! Just because they don’t underwrite the risk, doesn’t mean they don’t have skin in the game. If something goes tits up, it’s their name out there, not flutter entertainment.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    cafcfan said:
    Off_it said:
    cafcfan said:

Of course it’s a sky product! Just because they don’t underwrite the risk, doesn’t mean they don’t have skin in the game. If something goes tits up, it’s their name out there, not flutter entertainment.
    Exactly that.

And I wouldnt be surprised if the white label agreement these guys have with Sky means that they are entitled to Sky doing a fair bit of promotion for their mutual benefit.  That may or may not include Sky using their contracted employees to star in adverts, etc. Stelling may have had a choice or he may not, but unless you've seen the contracts or were a party to the discussions then you woulnt know. None of us would.
  • Options
    Bianca Westwood if they want to have a woman presenter 

Would ya ?

(it’s a yes from me BTW)
  • Options

Would ya ?

(it’s a yes from me BTW)
    All day long, but prefer Laura Woods.
  • Options

Would ya ?

(it’s a yes from me BTW)
    Yes, as long as she takes off the West Ham top first. 

Terrible Would Ya by the way! 
  • Options
    Julian Warren alternating with Faye Carruthers unless the choice is a BAME male or female (doubt it'll be a trans person) .. BUT, how do you replace a legend, a consummate professional ? .. I really don't know how Jeff kept so enthusiastic for all those years. 
    I wonder where Jeff will turn up next ? .. he was excellent on Countdown and reportedly gave that up at Sky's request to concentrate more on football
    One thing for me though, his constant repetitive adds for Skybet have tended to diminish my total respect for him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Julian Warren doesn't do it for me.
    Just a bit too clean cut and non opinionated.

A safe option,but pretty dull.
  • Options
    Think they should keep a presenter like Julian Warren who is able to host and fill in when games are a bit dull. 

But please please start hiring people with intellect that actually know what they're watching and give us updates with the correct names and passage of play. 

Getting 'names' like Merson etc. etc. that can't commentate to save their lives has stopped me watching it for the past 3/4 years. 
  • Options
    Julian Warren alternating with Faye Carruthers unless the choice is a BAME male or female (doubt it'll be a trans person) .. BUT, how do you replace a legend, a consummate professional ? .. I really don't know how Jeff kept so enthusiastic for all those years. 
    I wonder where Jeff will turn up next ? .. he was excellent on Countdown and reportedly gave that up at Sky's request to concentrate more on football
    One thing for me though, his constant repetitive adds for Skybet have tended to diminish my total respect for him

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up doing something sports related on the radio, I imagine he'd not be short of offers and I could see his style really working. Some radio presenters bore me to tears however I could see him being a really good listen, he could easily do something similar to soccer Saturday on the radio and I reckon he'd have loads tuning in and he could probably get his mates back in like Le Tiss etc .
  • Options

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up doing something sports related on the radio, I imagine he'd not be short of offers and I could see his style really working. Some radio presenters bore me to tears however I could see him being a really good listen, he could easily do something similar to soccer Saturday on the radio and I reckon he'd have loads tuning in and he could probably get his mates back in like Le Tiss etc .
    Like to see him at the Beeb .. their football pundits (not the commentators) are currently a bunch of guffawing, grinning, boring knowalls .. can't see it though 
  • Options
    More like he should be in an institution.  I always found him irritating 🙄 
    There’s always one.🥺
  • Options
    Jim White anyone? *runs for cover*
  • Options
    Is Stelling on Sky television?
  • Options
    Give it to Richard Keys
  • Options

Would ya ?

(it’s a yes from me BTW)
    All day long, but prefer Laura Woods.
    Never got the hype around her.  She’s a bit ‘look at me’ if you ever see any of her tweets about nights out etc.  
  • Options
    Saw a documentary following Jeff for a day. I literally don't know how he does it. He has multiple conversations going on in his ear piece, multiple screens in front of him, conversations with the pundits and talking to camera. 

Made my head hurt just watching it.