Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Rotherham United | Tuesday 2 November | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited October 2021 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic v Rotherham United
Tuesday 2 November | Kick-Off: 19:45
Live on Valley Pass (UK included)

Tickets can be bought here: https://booking.cafc.co.uk/en-GB/categories/Home%20Games

Referee: Scott Oldham - Previously officiated a Charlton match way back in January 2018 where we played Walsall at The Valley, winning 3-1.

Introduction
What a transformation! Jackson's 100% record as a manager (albeit currently caretaker) continues and in style too. From the solid, yet still extremely impressive display in the North East last weekend, to an accomplished and slick performance at The Valley, against what must admittedly be said, a very poor Doncaster team. Jackson's Addicks ran out worthy winners. But it could have been so much more comfortable with quality chances being created left, right, and centre. The feel good factor is back. The challenge now is to maintain the tune he has been getting out of the players, and arguably, you won't come up against a tougher opponent than the current most in form side in the division, Rotherham United.

Opposition
Manager: Paul Warne (35.4%) | Stadium: AESSEAL New York Stadium
League Position: 4th | Nickname(s): The Millers
Form: WWWDWW

Rotherham United played host to Sunderland on Saturday, winning 5-1, their line up was:

Vickers
Harding | Edmonds-Green | Ihiekwe
Barlaser
Ogbene | Wiles | Rathbone | Ferguson
Smith | Ladapo

If we thought our win against Sunderland was impressive, which it was, Rotherham tore the Mackems apart. A club who have seemed to yo-yo between League One and the Championship in recent seasons, they're a side who have shown to be very capable under Paul Warne, especially by being able to put an incredible run together in this division. The Millers are currently unbeaten in their last 9 (11 in all competitions), conceding 4 goals in the process of picking up 21 points. To emphasise, Rotherham have scored the second most, and conceded the least in the league this season. They're going to pose a stern test for Jackson’s boys, but one I am sure he will be confident that we can overcome.

Warne has had time to develop his team, and this season has gone with a formation that we have seen Jackson deploy since taking the reigns. A 3-5-2 with a sitter in front of the back 3 allows their wing-backs to push on and create. Rotherham have scored 11 goals this season from crosses. Ensuring we stop the cross and defend it right when it does come in will be a challenge on Tuesday evening. Up front, Rotherham have Michael Smith. The striker signed for Charlton back in 2011, but never got the chance to show if he was good enough as promotion to the Championship, under Powell and Jackson as captain, meant opportunities were going to be at short supply for the target man. With an impressive 11 league goals so far this season, Smith has found himself a home in Rotherham. Stopping the big man is something that we must do if we are to come away with the points. 

Charlton Team News
A settled side? A settled way of playing? Are my eyes playing tricks on me? Jackson seems to have found a way of getting the best out of the players we have available and putting his stamp on the team early doors is a great sign. Players now are playing for each other, they're playing for the shirt, and giving it their all. The re-introduction of George Dobson, sitting at the base of midfield, mopping up any danger that comes our way, has been a revelation. Bringing Purrington back in to the side has provided us with balance. The left-wing back could have, and probably should have, scored three in the last two, but will have to settle for the one to round off the empathetic 4-0 win on Saturday.

The last time Charlton ran out 4-0 winners at home before Doncaster was back in our promotion season, the last game of the season against Rochdale. That win followed another 4-0 victory against Scunthorpe. Football is a funny old game, surely we couldn't, could we?!

Personnel wise, two changes were enforced on Jackson's selection on Saturday with Lavelle's groin injury, and surgery, meaning the club captain started at the heart of defence. Matthews missed out with a niggle so the able Gunter slotted in at right centre-back (his best position in my opinion). Leko came off early with a hip problem, but DJ showed his ability and was a danger throughout. We could see an unchanged team with the exception of Leko, and I think that Jacko will try to as much as he can. But other players will be pushing to be included in the 18. Arter has been in training for a few days, whilst Morgan and Kirk have had to settle watching from the sidelines.

Subs: Henderson, Matthews, Watson, Clare, Blackett-Taylor, Kirk, Davison

Prediction
We have good form against Rotherham, we always seem to do well against The Millers. And their run has to come to an end at some point. With the feel good feeling back, and the players giving 100% in everything they do, I can't go against us right now. Stockley is on fire in front of goal and should have had a hat-trick against Donny, I think his run will continue. Jackson's Addicks go marching on.

Charlton Athletic 2-1 Rotherham United
Stockley
Gilbey

Comments

• Options
    This is a match that will really show where we are at in terms competing well enough to climb the league towards top 6 after our dire start. A loss will put us back in the bottom pack, a win and we can start to believe.
    Saying all that I think it will be a draw 2-2 and we will be left wondering 😉
  • Options
    Good write-up Sage, but I think he will keep Elerewe on the bench
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Matthews or Clare in for Jaiyesimi, just to protect the defence a little more.

Otherwise I'd change diddly squat
  • Options
    One against Sunderland, four against Doncaster so I am looking for seven against Rotherham, if not.......Jackson out!
  • Options
    Any news yet re Leko’s injury?
  • Options
    Tough game and it'll be an indicator of our REAL potential and ability .. they have the best goal difference in the League, a mean defence and a good attack, allied to a fierce midfield it'll all make for a great game which we will win

CAFC 2 v Rotherham United 1
  • Options
    Will Pearce be able to cope with 90 mins ? 
  • Options
    Jacko's 100% run to end, but no condemnation even if we are well beaten.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Pretty sure it was Rotherham we beat 4-1 on a Good Friday, 11am ko, late sixties, 67-68 ? When as a young lad living in Blackheath I was supposed to meet my parents at a family do and I’d promised to get a train after the game to wherever it was in Kent that my uncles, aunts, cousins were, walked out of the ground after the match and saw my dad waiting for me at the top of floyd road, which was handy because i hadn’t a clue as to where I was supposed to be heading, so keen was I in going to the game 😂. 4-1 to the Addicks seems as fair a prediction as any

Just checked, found and posted the results for 67-68 below. It was 4-1 
  • Options
    I know it's only been 2 good results but already looking forward to the game Tuesday night. Should be a good battle. I'm saying 2-1 win stockley and Lee to score. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021

• Options
    Acid test. We’re at home and need to make a fist of it. Good performance is absolutely required even if the result goes against us. This will be tough. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I’d take a draw but Rotherham are the form team in the league so I  think it might be a narrow defeat . 
    1-2 
  • Options
    Thanks for another quality preview. 
    I can’t see how we can contain the Geordie Crouch. 
    Pearce will need to be on top form. 
    0-2, but we play week in defeat and go again. 
  • Options
    Tails up for both sides. We will give it our all to earn a point 1-1 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Draw at best and I’d be more than happy with that 
    we win this and I’ll believe the play offs are a real possibility 

gutted I can’t make it with a prior commitment organised by me ffs stupid old git
  • Options
    Great preview as always. Tough game against very in form team but after Saturday we should be confident and no reason we can't get another three points. Will need Stockley in view of their aerial threat at set pieces. No changes to the line up other than Leko who presumably is injured. Looking forward to this one.
  • Options
    We are 5/2 for this, it will be tough, I am sure we can win it though 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we are to have any chance of reaching the top 6 then we have to win the vast majority of our home games for the rest of the season. 
    I reckon it will be a great game on Tuesday and we will win it 2.1
    Onwards and upwards as they say. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I think an untimely yellow card has meant that Rotherham has lost a player for Tuesday who is a big part of how they play. Maybe somebody could tell me who he is, but that is what I heard! It may be Smith which the preview identified as the player to stop.
  • Options
    Hard to call - we have to deal with their set piece expertise. Go for a 2-2 draw.
  • Options
    Fair play to Rotherham, 5 wins and 1 draw in the last 6 is good going.  Their manager is very capable and they seem like they have a very good chance of being in the promotion mix.

Will be a tough game but if we get ahead I think we can win as the crowd get behind us and we add to this momentum.

We’ll do it, 2-0.  Washington and Lee
  • Options
    We have nothing to fear,play out normal game(as the last 2) and we will win,This league is open,nothing impossible,bear in mind we have caught up 6 points on Sunderland in a week.
  • Options
    We have nothing to fear,play out normal game(as the last 2) and we will win,This league is open,nothing impossible,bear in mind we have caught up 6 points on Sunderland in a week.
    And that is what a run does. Ok, you don't always catch up on every side but say 6 wins on the trot, like we did last season and you catch up a lot of points on most sides.
  • Options
    I think an untimely yellow card has meant that Rotherham has lost a player for Tuesday who is a big part of how they play. Maybe somebody could tell me who he is, but that is what I heard! It may be Smith which the preview identified as the player to stop.
    From my research, Smith picked up his 4th booking of the season on Saturday so is one away from suspension. That’s why I included him. Of course, my research could’ve been wrong but we shall see.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    From my research, Smith picked up his 4th booking of the season on Saturday so is one away from suspension. That’s why I included him. Of course, my research could’ve been wrong but we shall see.
    Rotherham fans weren’t sure either, but looks like he’s available. Which is a shame 😉

https://www.millersbanter.co.uk/t67979996/vs-charlton/
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Definitely only four.