Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Give Jacko The Job (He got given it on page 31...)

Comments

• I wonder what Grapevine makes of the current situation.....

Would love to hear his thoughts tonight. 
  • Need Washington to be up to fitness ASAP. Burstow has zero confidence and Leko is just terrible. Can’t keep continuing with Burstow or Leko up top. Really need Washington to hit the ground or he needs to change formation.
  • Jacko’s Points per game 31/23
    would currently put us on 48.5 points which is 13th
    and a season ending total of 62
    Not good enough and, even worse, it’s trending downwards 
  • edited March 2022
    Scoham said:
    Honestly hasn't showed me anything to indicate he could lead a squad to promotion over the course of a year. 

Nothing about a training ground overhaul, no new coaches. Only a formation change and a nice speech. 

Need a top to bottom refit of this club. 
    Not saying he will but neither did Powell.

Powell signed 20+ players after that season. 

He also had experience with better managers and was able to see how a properly run club operates. 

Jackson has had umm, us. And the basket case we've been the last 5 seasons. 
    Like I said I’m not saying I think Jackson will turn things around, I’d understand if TS changed manager. I won’t completely write Jackson off though, he’s been part of promotion sides as a captain and assistant. Powell signed about 12/13 players who improved the first team that summer when you exclude Alonso, Pope, Bover, Smith etc, so it’s not far off what we’ll need if we make the right decisions with the out of contract players.
  • Jackson is so out of his depth it is laughable.

A great player but a rubbish manager.

• Is Jacko persisting with 3-5-2 because he thinks we won’t be relegated even if we don’t win another game?

He needs to try back to basics 4-4-2 to at least get a couple more points…then he can experiment with his preferred formation once we’re mathematically safe.

The stubbornness is so extreme that today we ended with Fraser at LCB…
  • RedRyan said:
    Is Jacko persisting with 3-5-2 because he thinks we won’t be relegated even if we don’t win another game?

He needs to try back to basics 4-4-2 to at least get a couple more points…then he can experiment with his preferred formation once we’re mathematically safe.

The stubbornness is so extreme that today we ended with Fraser at LCB…
    I had it down as a 2-5-3 for the last 10 minutes after Burstow came on for Gunter. If anyone dropped back it was Dobson. Fraser was fairly anonymous for the last 15-20 minutes.

Clare and Lavelle at the back. Burstow and Washington up with Stockley. DJ and Leko wide with the three who started the game in the middle playing the full 90.
  • Sponsored links:

• I hate it that it’s reached this point where we’re debating the future of a genuine club legend but things are looking and are bloody grim. We’ve looked like a team devoid of everything including motivation and tactics and that buck I’m afraid has to stop with the manager. He’s had some piss poor luck with injuries but even in the face of those difficulties I would expect the team to have passion and fight. That is the bare minimum required. Gutted to say this but I can’t see any future with JJ at the helm. 
  • I honestly think we need to try the diamond. Jackson has experience with it under Bowyer. We don’t have the wing backs for a 352. I get he might want to sign players for it next year but has to be worth a try? 
  • A few weeks ago I'd have said the thought of replacing Jacko before the end of the season was unthinkable. At this point I might be siding on doing it just to try and ensure we are still in this shite league next season.

I hate even thinking it but I am starting to think that the initial results was a response to the players disliking Adkins, recently I think it's showing Jacko is out of his depth.

I very much hope I'm wrong and he turns this around bit right now that seems a long way off. Something has to change.
  • The injuries have been tough .. but on Tuesday he will have Washington and CBT fit to start if he don’t get a win then it has to be JACKSON OUT 
  • He's being let down so badly by the players that put him there.
  • I honestly think we need to try the diamond. Jackson has experience with it under Bowyer. We don’t have the wing backs for a 352. I get he might want to sign players for it next year but has to be worth a try? 
    The fact that Jackson is fixated and refuses to budge from a system that we don’t have the players for and is producing loss after loss is a huge red flag. He looks so beaten now when interviewed. I was until today happy for him to get the nod next season but I’ve changed my mind. He’s showing absolutely nothing that might dig us out of what is a very serious situation. 
    I don’t disagree. We don’t have the players for the formation but I’d prefer him to see what players he wants in terms of ability and effort over sticking by the formation. Can always change it up over the summer but yes it’s a red flag. 

Still can’t see us going down but we need a few points over the next couple of weeks to make sure. 
    Undoubtedly but he’s showing naivety and a lack of tactical awareness too. Of course the squad isn’t good enough to win promotion but it’s better than what we’re seeing at the moment. We’re making the same mistakes every week and the manager always has to take some responsibility for that. 
  • Woeful on every level. Defensively the worst Charlton team I can remember. Set pieces is beyond a joke, remind me, who was our set piece coach before jacko became manager…? 
  • Sponsored links:

Undoubtedly but he’s showing naivety and a lack of tactical awareness too. Of course the squad isn’t good enough to win promotion but it’s better than what we’re seeing at the moment. We’re making the same mistakes every week and the manager always has to take some responsibility for that. 
    Agree, the run these same players went on a few months ago have shown the ability is there to at a minimum compete in this league, for whatever reason right now they are way off that. 
  • I’m hoping like everybody else that despite the circumstances this could be a repeat of Chris Powell’s glorious return to Charlton as manager. The underwhelming start and then the turn around to promotion the following season. The similarities are a good. Ex Charlton legend, first management job. But then SCP’s background was perhaps at a higher standard (Premier League, England international) and the managers he played or coached under were, during their careers, more successful. Perhaps the big difference is the owners ambition and most importantly who they’re entrusting the recruitment to. I’m hoping it will be the same outcome, but it looks a real long shot.

Chris Powell

Recruited virtually whole new team during summer.

Head of that recruitment: Peter Varney (short term contract), experienced Premier League CEO

SCP played or coached under:

Jim Smith

Alan Curbishley

Aidy Boothroyd

Alan Pardew (Promotion Season)

Nigel Pearson

Paulo Sousa

Sven-Göran Eriksson

Jonnie Jackson

TS states we need to add just two or three players to compete for top two places.

Head of that recruitment: Owners son, briefly played for Barnet.

JJ played or coached under:

Geraint Williams

Steve Cotterill

Phil Parkinson

Chris Powell

José Riga

Bob Peeters

Guy Luzon

Karel Fraeye

Russell Slade

Karl Robinson

Lee Bowyer

Nigel Adkins

• I’m hoping like everybody else that despite the circumstances this could be a repeat of Chris Powell’s glorious return to Charlton as manager. The underwhelming start and then the turn around to promotion the following season. The similarities are a good. Ex Charlton legend, first management job. But then SCP’s background was perhaps at a higher standard (Premier League, England international) and the managers he played or coached under were, during their careers, more successful. Perhaps the big difference is the owners ambition and most importantly who they’re entrusting the recruitment to. I’m hoping it will be the same outcome, but it looks a real long shot.

Chris Powell

Head of that recruitment: Peter Varney (short term contract), experienced Premier League CEO

Jim Smith

Alan Curbishley

Aidy Boothroyd

Nigel Pearson

Paulo Sousa

Sven-Göran Eriksson

Jonnie Jackson

TS states we need to add just two or three players to compete for top two places.

Geraint Williams

Steve Cotterill

Phil Parkinson

Chris Powell

José Riga

Bob Peeters

Guy Luzon

Karel Fraeye

Russell Slade

Karl Robinson

Lee Bowyer

Nigel Adkins

I think the big difference is that Powell had played with or against almost all the players we signed. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

I’m hoping like everybody else that despite the circumstances this could be a repeat of Chris Powell’s glorious return to Charlton as manager. The underwhelming start and then the turn around to promotion the following season. The similarities are a good. Ex Charlton legend, first management job. But then SCP’s background was perhaps at a higher standard (Premier League, England international) and the managers he played or coached under were, during their careers, more successful. Perhaps the big difference is the owners ambition and most importantly who they’re entrusting the recruitment to. I’m hoping it will be the same outcome, but it looks a real long shot.

Chris Powell

Jim Smith

Alan Curbishley

Aidy Boothroyd

Nigel Pearson

Paulo Sousa

Sven-Göran Eriksson

Jonnie Jackson

Geraint Williams

Steve Cotterill

Phil Parkinson

Chris Powell

José Riga

Bob Peeters

Guy Luzon

Karel Fraeye

Russell Slade

Karl Robinson

Lee Bowyer

Nigel Adkins

I think the big difference is that Powell had played with or against almost all the players we signed. 
    Good point!
  • Cafc43v3r said:

I’m hoping like everybody else that despite the circumstances this could be a repeat of Chris Powell’s glorious return to Charlton as manager. The underwhelming start and then the turn around to promotion the following season. The similarities are a good. Ex Charlton legend, first management job. But then SCP’s background was perhaps at a higher standard (Premier League, England international) and the managers he played or coached under were, during their careers, more successful. Perhaps the big difference is the owners ambition and most importantly who they’re entrusting the recruitment to. I’m hoping it will be the same outcome, but it looks a real long shot.

Chris Powell

Jim Smith

Alan Curbishley

Aidy Boothroyd

Nigel Pearson

Paulo Sousa

Sven-Göran Eriksson

Jonnie Jackson

Geraint Williams

Steve Cotterill

Phil Parkinson

Chris Powell

José Riga

Bob Peeters

Guy Luzon

Karel Fraeye

Russell Slade

Karl Robinson

Lee Bowyer

Nigel Adkins

Isn’t it possible that Jackson signs players he knows about?
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chris Powell

Jim Smith

Alan Curbishley

Aidy Boothroyd

Nigel Pearson

Paulo Sousa

Sven-Göran Eriksson

Jonnie Jackson

Geraint Williams

Steve Cotterill

Phil Parkinson

Chris Powell

José Riga

Bob Peeters

Guy Luzon

Karel Fraeye

Russell Slade

Karl Robinson

Lee Bowyer

Nigel Adkins

I honestly don't think he had heard of the two young loan signings we made 
    The fact he never plays them reinforces that.
    Someone is making decisions and not in a good way.
    Airman mentioned Birmingham wanting rid of Castillo so we signed him on loan to enable the Aneke deal to go through.

John was a mistake but either way came in as back up.

I’m thinking more ahead to the summer where we’ll need to bring in several first choice players.
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chris Powell

Jim Smith

Alan Curbishley

Aidy Boothroyd

Nigel Pearson

Paulo Sousa

Sven-Göran Eriksson

Jonnie Jackson

Geraint Williams

Steve Cotterill

Phil Parkinson

Chris Powell

José Riga

Bob Peeters

Guy Luzon

Karel Fraeye

Russell Slade

Karl Robinson

Lee Bowyer

Nigel Adkins

Who?  He hasn't played for 4 years, hasn't coached anywhere else, he has watched us every match day for ever.

I am not saying its not possible but I doubt Jackson knows any current players as well as Powell knew Yann and Morrison.  IIRC the keeping coach had also worked with Hammer before as well.