Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Give Jacko The Job (He got given it on page 31...)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    I don’t think JJ necessarily deserves to be manager come the start of next season, however I’m happy to see if he gets the right support, Which he does deserve in pre season recruitment etc. if things start slowly I think TS has to be prepared to act a hell of a lot quicker than he did this season as by then Jacko will have his own team and ethos installed into the players. I’m not convinced as things stand about his ability going forward but will be very happy if he does turn out to be top notch. So at the moment it’s definitely splinters in my arse time, but hope to be getting off the fence. If we don’t have a substantial turnaround in playing staff for next season I don’t see much improving sadly. He’s had this group long enough to be able to see if they can be a promotion winning team, and I’d hazard a guess he knows the answer.
    In hindsight, yes I know it's easy, our season was doomed before it started. 

We started the season with about 12 fit senior pros and a half fit Inniss.  Some of the players knew Adkins didn't want them and we played 4 of the divisions best teams straight off the bat.

The first time Thomas could have justified sacking Adkins was after the Bolton home game.  He lasted 3 more games, we won one and lost one in injury time.  By and large we have beaten the teams we should beat and lost to the teams we should lose to.

If Jackson or anyone else had been manager from the start, all things being equal, we MIGHT be 5 or 6 points better off and got those points in a slightly different order.  We would still be a bang average mid table league 1 team.

My fear is we have a marginally better summer and a bit more luck and have a similar season to Portsmouth next season and it counts as progress because its Jackson. 
    Well his current PPG total would have us 11 points better than we are now if in the completely hypothetical scenario that he started the season managing us.

(Which is still bang average mid table)
    But the points per game don't factor in the squad we had at the start of the season.  Even from the team he had when he was caretaker we had Purrington and Gilbey unavailable and Lavelle, CBT, Lee and Leko hadn't signed yet. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    I don’t think JJ necessarily deserves to be manager come the start of next season, however I’m happy to see if he gets the right support, Which he does deserve in pre season recruitment etc. if things start slowly I think TS has to be prepared to act a hell of a lot quicker than he did this season as by then Jacko will have his own team and ethos installed into the players. I’m not convinced as things stand about his ability going forward but will be very happy if he does turn out to be top notch. So at the moment it’s definitely splinters in my arse time, but hope to be getting off the fence. If we don’t have a substantial turnaround in playing staff for next season I don’t see much improving sadly. He’s had this group long enough to be able to see if they can be a promotion winning team, and I’d hazard a guess he knows the answer.

We started the season with about 12 fit senior pros and a half fit Inniss.  Some of the players knew Adkins didn't want them and we played 4 of the divisions best teams straight off the bat.

The first time Thomas could have justified sacking Adkins was after the Bolton home game.  He lasted 3 more games, we won one and lost one in injury time.  By and large we have beaten the teams we should beat and lost to the teams we should lose to.

If Jackson or anyone else had been manager from the start, all things being equal, we MIGHT be 5 or 6 points better off and got those points in a slightly different order.  We would still be a bang average mid table league 1 team.

My fear is we have a marginally better summer and a bit more luck and have a similar season to Portsmouth next season and it counts as progress because its Jackson. 
    Well his current PPG total would have us 11 points better than we are now if in the completely hypothetical scenario that he started the season managing us.

But the points per game don't factor in the squad we had at the start of the season.  Even from the team he had when he was caretaker we had Purrington and Gilbey unavailable and Lavelle, CBT, Lee and Leko hadn't signed yet. 
    Indeed, how well he would have done we will never know, and that bad run against top teams we had when we had injuries, may likely indicate not so great. 

Though I will say, although I’m not sold on Jackson, I think he probably could have mustered more than the 6 points Adkins got in that run at least!
  • edited March 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:

Indeed, how well he would have done we will never know, and that bad run against top teams we had when we had injuries, may likely indicate not so great. 

Though I will say, although I’m not sold on Jackson, I think he probably could have mustered more than the 6 points Adkins got in that run at least!
    He probably would have done but then would we have got the bounce after?   We probably, and we can only guess, would have got more points at the start and less in the middle. 
  • Maccn05 said:
    One problem is people are still harking back to the season of Powell's rebuild and think bringing in 5 or 6 players will instantly mean we walk to promotion like that season. But we're not factoring in how tough this league will be next year - it's now like a mini Championship.

We will likely face seriously monied sides in Sunderland, Ipswich, Barnsley and Derby under new ownership.

Then you have big clubs for the league like Pompey, Wednesday and Bolton and the well run clubs that constantly overachieve like Oxford, MK and Wycombe.

If they don't get the decisions right then we'll be finding a top half finish tough again and even if he does it's going to be incredibly tough to get promotion.

So it's a massive season next year in terms of us not becoming an average L1 team and possibly Sandgaard's desire to keep pushing on against what would become a challenging fanbase and yearly £6m+ losses

Hate to say it but this season was the season to go big and 'blow the league away' as Wigan have done.
    The league is really strong this season as well, but you are right there are probably at least 10 teams expecting to be going for promotion now in league 1. Last season was probably our best chance but the takeover being too late in the summer cost us. For this season look at Ipswich, built the best squad on paper and have only done a little better than us. If we’d have gone big in the summer I still think the Adkins/recruitment issues would mean we would still not have been up there but just would have blown even more money on it like Ipswich. Think we will be nearer next season but can’t see us being top 2 with the competition there is 
  • Jackson was on TalkSPORT earlier, you can listen back about 20 minutes in:

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1648544400/1648551600/
  • Ipswich will still be focusing on getting top six and it’s very achievable. Where will our focus be ? Until a fortnight ago I’d say we were all seriously looking over our shoulder at league two. This season has been a disaster no matter how you try and spin it. 
    I agree entirely with this.
  • I've read this thread, good to know I don't need to worry about next season, I'll come back in 2023 
  • Sponsored links:

• If genuinely we have the 3rd biggest budget spend in league one, that’s not a very good return for your investment, I’d be asking serious questions if it was my dosh, does just bringing in MS suddenly make things better, I guess we’ll find out in the summer.
  • NabySarr said:
    Really? 9th to our 14th but more importantly 5 points off the play offs to our 20. A little better than us? LOL.
    5 points off with a game more played, I don't think they have much chance of sneaking in. I think them finishing 9th is more shocking than us finishing 12th based on summer business most were expecting Ipswich to be top 2 easily. 

We have been pretty much just behind them most of the season until our nightmare run recently but I was more just making the point to the original comment that even if we had gone big in the summer and tried to "blow the league away" the Adkins/recruitment problems would have still been there so we would have been a lot more like Ipswich than Wigan
    There's always that team that makes a late push and they are flying under the new manager, I can see them sneaking 6th... They will be top 2 next season in my opinion.

Remember our marquee signing this season was a player who couldn't make their bench LOL.

• Ipswich will still be focusing on getting top six and it’s very achievable. Where will our focus be ? Until a fortnight ago I’d say we were all seriously looking over our shoulder at league two. This season has been a disaster no matter how you try and spin it. 
    Where do you get all this , we was all looking over our shoulder?
    Do any of us actually look at the fixture list?
    Just before the Accrington game we had just played 6 games 5 of them games had been against top 6 sides.
    The fixtures after Accrington were alot easier than the 7 games before.
    Why do we always make a mountain out of a mole hill?

• Let’s hope that there is some serious work being done now identifying players for next season. The only positive of the position we are currently in is that we have a months head start on most other teams.
  • Put bluntly, cock the recruitment up again , and it won't matter who the manager is it we will fail again.
    Plus if we sack him the options to take his place will be limited. Summer recruitment is probably the most important it’s ever been. 
  • Put bluntly, cock the recruitment up again , and it won't matter who the manager is it we will fail again.
    People blamed Adkins for the recruitment at the start of the season I remember. 
  • Sponsored links:

He was certainly wrong to not want Dobson. 
    It depends who he wanted instead.... 

It's also wrong that he had players (I don't think Dobson was the only one) who knew he didn't want them.

Who ever was ultimately responsible it was a cluster fuck all round. 
    The 'wrong' is signing players the manager doesn't want. 

When it happened under Powell it was a travesty. When it happens under Adkins it's his fault somehow? 
    People mainly blamed Roddy & a few blamed Gallen.
    I've no doubt someone may have blamed Adkins, but I don't remember it.
    Mainly, people thought Adkins had a small say in the matter and I suggest that is true. 
  • Addick93 said:
    Let’s hope that there is some serious work being done now identifying players for next season. The only positive of the position we are currently in is that we have a months head start on most other teams.
    identifying? They should have started to talking to agents a month or so ago.
  • edited March 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Put bluntly, cock the recruitment up again , and it won't matter who the manager is it we will fail again.

It's also wrong that he had players (I don't think Dobson was the only one) who knew he didn't want them.

I'd wonder if it was Harry Arter, but then again he seemed to be the one to instigate a move to us

Put bluntly, cock the recruitment up again , and it won't matter who the manager is it we will fail again.

When it happened under Powell it was a travesty. When it happens under Adkins it's his fault somehow? 
    Yeah cant argue with that
  • Cafc43v3r said:

I'd wonder if it was Harry Arter, but then again he seemed to be the one to instigate a move to us

Yeah cant argue with that
    I think Adkins wanted a conservative back for with either one or two "quarter backs" in front of them.  Which isn't, despite all his upsides, Dobson.  Or Clare for that matter. 
  • One thing I like about Jackson is he recognises you need mobility and energy in your team. Arter (now gone), Watson and Souare barely featured under him while he doesn’t overly rely on any of Pearce, Gunter and Matthews.

Adkins seemed to be in the Slade mould of thinking the way to win games at this level is by using the experience of those type of players. Other than Pearce they’ve all dropped down from a higher level as it’s clear they can’t play with the intensity they did earlier on in their career (whether due to age, injury history, fitness, motivation etc or a combination).

Gives me some hope new signings are more likely to be the type we need to compete. If you don’t have that pace and energy in the team to run and battle then no amount of technical ability and experience is going to be enough.
  • Scoham said:
    One thing I like about Jackson is he recognises you need mobility and energy in your team. Arter (now gone), Watson and Souare barely featured under him while he doesn’t overly rely on any of Pearce, Gunter and Matthews.

Adkins seemed to be in the Slade mould of thinking the way to win games at this level is by using the experience of those type of players. Other than Pearce they’ve all dropped down from a higher level as it’s clear they can’t play with the intensity they did earlier on in their career (whether due to age, injury history, fitness, motivation etc or a combination).

Gives me some hope new signings are more likely to be the type we need to compete. If you don’t have that pace and energy in the team to run and battle then no amount of technical ability and experience is going to be enough.
    Adkins didn't choose to have any of those players and sometimes didn't have a choice other than pick them.

Adkins made a massive point from April through to September about needing more mobility and energy, repeatedly.

I think that veiw is from the fact he left Dobson out and played Watson a handful of times.  Picking Morgan and Clare above Dobson was wrong as well.  He only ever picked Gunter twice, I think, out of choice. 
  • He also started the season with Dobson. Didn't help that Dobson didn't really perform in those initial games and ended up getting dropped because of it.