Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Give Jacko The Job (He got given it on page 31...)

Comments

• clb74 said:

Ipswich will still be focusing on getting top six and it’s very achievable. Where will our focus be ? Until a fortnight ago I’d say we were all seriously looking over our shoulder at league two. This season has been a disaster no matter how you try and spin it. 
    Where do you get all this , we was all looking over our shoulder?
    Do any of us actually look at the fixture list?
    Just before the Accrington game we had just played 6 games 5 of them games had been against top 6 sides.
    The fixtures after Accrington were alot easier than the 7 games before.
    Why do we always make a mountain out of a mole hill?

Well perhaps it was just me that thought there was a distinct possibility that relegation could happen although I don’t think it was just me. In fact there is a thread asking if we were getting relegated. It actually doesn’t matter who you lose to, be they top six or not. It’s a game and a points return of zilch will put you in the clatty. Fortunately we’ve cobbled together three wins that should ensure safety but it’s been an effing awful season of dire results and dire performances. We’re likely to finish looking like a very very average mediocre third tier football club and as far as I’m concerned that’s a mountain not a mole hill. Each to their own though.
  • He also started the season with Dobson. Didn't help that Dobson didn't really perform in those initial games and ended up getting dropped because of it. 
    It was a weird choice from Adkins, the bloke who was brought in to man-manage a demoralised squad. He did a lot to build up Gilbey and DJ when he came in, only to drop Dobson a few games into the very beginning of his time at the club and replace him with Ben Watson and Harry Arter, two players with no chance of improving within our team. I think Dobson played one more league game under Adkins after getting dropped four games in. I would understand taking Dobson out of the firing line briefly but Adkins obviously saw a slow start from Dobson as justifying his doubts and left him to rot. Stupid plan, stupid result.
  • edited March 2022
    He also started the season with Dobson. Didn't help that Dobson didn't really perform in those initial games and ended up getting dropped because of it. 
    It was a weird choice from Adkins, the bloke who was brought in to man-manage a demoralised squad. He did a lot to build up Gilbey and DJ when he came in, only to drop Dobson a few games into the very beginning of his time at the club and replace him with Ben Watson and Harry Arter, two players with no chance of improving within our team. I think Dobson played one more league game under Adkins after getting dropped four games in. I would understand taking Dobson out of the firing line briefly but Adkins obviously saw a slow start from Dobson as justifying his doubts and left him to rot. Stupid plan, stupid result.
    Arter only started 4 games and was subbed at half time in one of them.  He started 1 with Dobson in a 2, 1 with Watson and Gilbey in a 3 and 2 with Gilbey in a 2.  You could say they were a 3 with Lee.

So he didn't just replace Dobson with Arter and Watson. 
  • Well I was referring more to the player with the most defensive role in the midfield, which is what Dobson was brought in to be. He tried a fair few combinations, almost exclusively without Dobson after the start, but it was Watson or Arter asked to do the cleaning up job in Adkins' line-ups, apart from once where it was Clare to predictable effect.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    One thing I like about Jackson is he recognises you need mobility and energy in your team. Arter (now gone), Watson and Souare barely featured under him while he doesn’t overly rely on any of Pearce, Gunter and Matthews.

Adkins seemed to be in the Slade mould of thinking the way to win games at this level is by using the experience of those type of players. Other than Pearce they’ve all dropped down from a higher level as it’s clear they can’t play with the intensity they did earlier on in their career (whether due to age, injury history, fitness, motivation etc or a combination).

Gives me some hope new signings are more likely to be the type we need to compete. If you don’t have that pace and energy in the team to run and battle then no amount of technical ability and experience is going to be enough.
    Adkins didn't choose to have any of those players and sometimes didn't have a choice other than pick them.

Adkins made a massive point from April through to September about needing more mobility and energy, repeatedly.

I think that veiw is from the fact he left Dobson out and played Watson a handful of times.  Picking Morgan and Clare above Dobson was wrong as well.  He only ever picked Gunter twice, I think, out of choice. 
    You’re right I think he did say it and he didn’t always have loads of choices but he made the situation worse with some of his selections. 

Leaving out Dobson is the main one, but also not playing Washington up front or at all. When he did play Gunter one game he used him at wing back with I think Purrington or Souare on the other aide. Playing Watson and Arter together in a three or one them in a two. All choices Jackson hasn’t made.

Jackson also avoided playing Kirk too often, one reason likely that he’s not that type of player. Even Stockley as a lone striker reduces energy and mobility in the team, we got away with it last season due to some of the players around him but Adkins stuck with it as long as he could.
  • The Dobson thing is still a complete mystery to me. He didnt have a bad game from what I remember and then just vanished. Then when he came back he has been great. I wonder what Adkins saw that he didnt like
  • You would hope that given the fact Alan C has been back in the Charlton ‘fold’ so to  speak, on Charlton tv , that our recruitment team would be picking his brains to how we achieved success.

I know there’s a massive change in terms of data analysis compared to back in the day, but it can’t harm, talking processes that worked / didn’t work.
  • Well I was referring more to the player with the most defensive role in the midfield, which is what Dobson was brought in to be. He tried a fair few combinations, almost exclusively without Dobson after the start, but it was Watson or Arter asked to do the cleaning up job in Adkins' line-ups, apart from once where it was Clare to predictable effect.
    I don't think Adkins actually wanted anyone to do that job.  Which is why he probably didn't want him.  Last season Adkins played, mainly, Watson and JFC as the two and then Morgan for the last game and 3/4.   Very different roles to the one Dobson is doing, very well, now.

The best half of football under Adkins this season was probably Gillingham away 1st half when he went back to that. 

The same as Gilbey at the end of last season played a very different role to that that he played under either Bowyer or now Jackson. 

By their very nature league 1 footballers are very limited in what they can and can't do, even if basically it's the same position.  Ipswich signed Fraser to play as a 10, for example, he couldn't. 

Adkins should have changed the system to get the best out of the players he had, not the players he wanted.  But after signing or resigning 15 odd players you could well argue that he shouldn't of had to. 
  • It all depends on recruitment.  It will be a big ask of Jackson given his inexperience, but recruitment is key.  I think an indicator of some sort will be Elliott Lee.  May be over-simplifying, but I liken whether or not we offer him a deal in the same way economists do with the price of things to give you and analysis on which way the economy is going.

Offer him a deal and I think we’re destined for another season like this one, don’t offer him a deal and get better, then maybe
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:
    It all depends on recruitment.  It will be a big ask of Jackson given his inexperience, but recruitment is key.  I think an indicator of some sort will be Elliott Lee.  May be over-simplifying, but I liken whether or not we offer him a deal in the same way economists do with the price of things to give you and analysis on which way the economy is going.

Offer him a deal and I think we’re destined for another season like this one, don’t offer him a deal and get better, then maybe
    My barometer will be Lee & Leko, if JJ and TS think they are what we need then League One beckons for a few more year’s 
  • To be fair to Jackson who keeps and who he signs, will be greatly influenced by the budget he is allowed for player purchasers and player wages.
    He may stick with current players because he does not have the budget for any thing else. That is keeping players is cheap.
  • msomerton said:
    To be fair to Jackson who keeps and who he signs, will be greatly influenced by the budget he is allowed for player purchasers and player wages.
    He may stick with current players because he does not have the budget for any thing else. That is keeping players is cheap.
    There are always some decent free agents about and I doubt the likes of Gunter and Watson are on peanuts.
  • msomerton said:
    To be fair to Jackson who keeps and who he signs, will be greatly influenced by the budget he is allowed for player purchasers and player wages.
    There are always some decent free agents about and I doubt the likes of Gunter and Watson are on peanuts.
    I don't think it's even in the conversation that either of them will stay but it is relevant with the likes of Purrington, Matthews and arguably Pearce. 
  • cabbles said:
    It all depends on recruitment.  It will be a big ask of Jackson given his inexperience, but recruitment is key.  I think an indicator of some sort will be Elliott Lee.  May be over-simplifying, but I liken whether or not we offer him a deal in the same way economists do with the price of things to give you and analysis on which way the economy is going.

My barometer will be Lee & Leko, if JJ and TS think they are what we need then League One beckons for a few more year’s 
    The only thing I think with Leko is that he’s been so poor and looks disinterested, Jackson won’t want him.  Lee has the family connection, he probably fits into the current camaraderie and despite how poor he’s been, he tries hard when he puts the shirt on.  

That can win him a new contract.  I’d be amazed if Leko is in Jackson’s plans.  Can see Leko at somewhere like Shrewsbury next year or Northampton
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    msomerton said:
    I don't think it's even in the conversation that either of them will stay but it is relevant with the likes of Purrington, Matthews and arguably Pearce. 
    To which the same applies. They are not on peanuts either. We can't replace them with championship quality players for similar costs but there are decent players out there who will be available for next to nothing and would love to be on 5/6k a week. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    msomerton said:
    To which the same applies. They are not on peanuts either. We can't replace them with championship quality players for similar costs but there are decent players out there who will be available for next to nothing and would love to be on 5/6k a week. 
    I don't think those 3 are on that sort of money but the same probably applies to 3/4k a week.  It's also about resources as well. 

Signing Pearce on £x should take 10 minutes signing an alternative on £xcould take weeks of scouting, back ground work toing and froing and you still might not get them and lose Pearce.

Just replacing Watson, Gunter, Souare and the loans is 9 players.  If they got those 9 right it wouldn't matter if we kept Pearce etc.  Last summer we got those wrong. 

• Gone in December is my prediction 
  • That's is totally why Jackson doesn't deserve to be manager next season.

Down to 10 men still play this poor formation !! 

Bringing on leko as a LWB 

Absolutely terrible recruitment in January 

Same poor excuses 

Them 3 wins were just against very poor teams look what happens when we play better 

Terrible management skill 

Surely there are better managers out there as next season is our biggest one yet 
  • Sponsored links:

• Today’s loss is not on Jacko.

The set-up was good enough. We fashioned 18 shots and scored only once.
    Please tell me how it isn't, did we change formation when we went down to 10, who brought leko on at lwb all jacko 
  • edited April 2022
    FAVADDICK said:
    Today’s loss is not on Jacko.

Please tell me how it isn't, did we change formation when we went down to 10, who brought leko on at lwb all jacko 
    Leko replaced the right wing back and played predominantly on the right wing, pushed further up the pitch. He didn’t spend any time on the left.

Re: formation, why was a change needed? We were fine as it was. The plan was always to bring JFC on for 30 minutes. Bring him on earlier and you risk injuring him again.
  • Charlton legend, but time to move him on. 
  • edited April 2022
    FAVADDICK said:

We also constantly got exploited down the right hand side between our RWB and RCB again. 

Jackson has done enough for me to get given a chance to build his own team next season. But I’m not going to lie, I’m really really worried. 

When teams are constantly more imaginative in the final third than us, and that’s teams around us in the league, and even in leagues below - it does not fill me with confidence.

But JFC looked made us play a little differently when he came on, so maybe it’s something we can improve upon under this coaching set up. 
  • FAVADDICK said:

Leko played on the right wing. He didn’t spend any time on the left.

Re: formation, why was a change needed? We were fine as it was. The plan was always to bring JFC on for 30 minutes. Bring him on earlier and you risk injuring him again.
    OK wrong side 

Change was needed we was down to 10 men and losing and still playing 5 at the back really doesn't take a genius to work that out 
  • FAVADDICK said:
    FAVADDICK said:

OK wrong side 

Change was needed we was down to 10 men and losing and still playing 5 at the back really doesn't take a genius to work that out 
    It’s not a true five at the back though. This is the thing with formations... they can look very different depending on the personnel. Do you consider Blackett-Taylor to be a defensive player or an attacking player?

Did you want us to take off one of our four defenders and go to three?
  • We can get Pep and and Jurgen in as joint managers next season and we still wont do anything.
  • FAVADDICK said:
    FAVADDICK said:

OK wrong side 

It’s not a true five at the back though. This is the thing with formations... they can look very different depending on the personnel. Do you consider Blackett-Taylor to be a defensive player or an attacking player?

Did you want us to take off one of our four defenders and go to three?
    He plays him as a defensive wing back when his a attacking winger, when you play 4 at the back you normally play a left back right back and 2 centre backs but no Jackson plays 3 cbs which 1 is a left back 1 is a centre mid and the other a cb, CBT and LEKO are both attacking wingers not defenders 
  • edited April 2022
    Finish below 14th and there is no argument to keep him. Take sentiment out of it