Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Give Jacko The Job (He got given it on page 31...)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I’m hoping like everybody else that despite the circumstances this could be a repeat of Chris Powell’s glorious return to Charlton as manager. The underwhelming start and then the turn around to promotion the following season. The similarities are a good. Ex Charlton legend, first management job. But then SCP’s background was perhaps at a higher standard (Premier League, England international) and the managers he played or coached under were, during their careers, more successful. Perhaps the big difference is the owners ambition and most importantly who they’re entrusting the recruitment to. I’m hoping it will be the same outcome, but it looks a real long shot.

Chris Powell

Recruited virtually whole new team during summer.

Head of that recruitment: Peter Varney (short term contract), experienced Premier League CEO

SCP played or coached under:

Jim Smith

Alan Curbishley

Aidy Boothroyd

Alan Pardew (Promotion Season)

Nigel Pearson

Paulo Sousa

Sven-Göran Eriksson

Jonnie Jackson

TS states we need to add just two or three players to compete for top two places.

Head of that recruitment: Owners son, briefly played for Barnet.

JJ played or coached under:

Geraint Williams

Steve Cotterill

Phil Parkinson

Chris Powell

José Riga

Bob Peeters

Guy Luzon

Karel Fraeye

Russell Slade

Karl Robinson

Lee Bowyer

Nigel Adkins

I think the big difference is that Powell had played with or against almost all the players we signed. 
    Isn’t it possible that Jackson signs players he knows about?
    I honestly don't think he had heard of the two young loan signings we made 
    The fact he never plays them reinforces that.
    Someone is making decisions and not in a good way.
    Airman mentioned Birmingham wanting rid of Castillo so we signed him on loan to enable the Aneke deal to go through.

John was a mistake but either way came in as back up.

I’m thinking more ahead to the summer where we’ll need to bring in several first choice players.
    I think that is one of the most optimistic views I have read. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    One comment about the current malaise at Charlton:
    When JS was manager he sort of ‘was the club’, running it as ‘Secretary-Manager’ and having overall charge of recruitment and tactics. He lived and breathed football, and had played for some time at the very top level. He was mentored by Herbert Chapman, the great Arsenal manager. The set up was simple, the tactics were straightforward, but they yielded success. 
    Compare that to now where Thomas Sandgaard has major involvement in the club without having more knowledge than ‘an average armchair fan’, his son has major input in recruitment, despite only having played a couple of games for Barnet, and there are various coaches and scouts all having different and possibly conflicting views that presumably Jackson has to take on board. Obviously ‘it’s a different era’, but the situation at the club just seems to be a total mess. 
    To be fair Jimmy Seed was manager in the bloody 1940’s, I’m not hugely surprised things are a bit different now!
  • edited March 2022
    se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    One comment about the current malaise at Charlton:
    When JS was manager he sort of ‘was the club’, running it as ‘Secretary-Manager’ and having overall charge of recruitment and tactics. He lived and breathed football, and had played for some time at the very top level. He was mentored by Herbert Chapman, the great Arsenal manager. The set up was simple, the tactics were straightforward, but they yielded success. 
    Compare that to now where Thomas Sandgaard has major involvement in the club without having more knowledge than ‘an average armchair fan’, his son has major input in recruitment, despite only having played a couple of games for Barnet, and there are various coaches and scouts all having different and possibly conflicting views that presumably Jackson has to take on board. Obviously ‘it’s a different era’, but the situation at the club just seems to be a total mess. 
    To be fair Jimmy Seed was manager in the bloody 1940’s, I’m not hugely surprised things are a bit different now!
    Thirties, forties and fifties, but you can always learn lessons from the past. (I did say 'Obviously it’s a different era'.)
    No-one's suggesting you have one person in total control, but it's important that those with influence in the running of the club really know what they're (bloody) doing. I'm just not sure that the case right now.
  • edited March 2022
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I’m hoping like everybody else that despite the circumstances this could be a repeat of Chris Powell’s glorious return to Charlton as manager. The underwhelming start and then the turn around to promotion the following season. The similarities are a good. Ex Charlton legend, first management job. But then SCP’s background was perhaps at a higher standard (Premier League, England international) and the managers he played or coached under were, during their careers, more successful. Perhaps the big difference is the owners ambition and most importantly who they’re entrusting the recruitment to. I’m hoping it will be the same outcome, but it looks a real long shot.

Chris Powell

Head of that recruitment: Peter Varney (short term contract), experienced Premier League CEO

Jim Smith

Alan Curbishley

Aidy Boothroyd

Nigel Pearson

Paulo Sousa

Sven-Göran Eriksson

Jonnie Jackson

TS states we need to add just two or three players to compete for top two places.

Geraint Williams

Steve Cotterill

Phil Parkinson

Chris Powell

José Riga

Bob Peeters

Guy Luzon

Karel Fraeye

Russell Slade

Karl Robinson

Lee Bowyer

Nigel Adkins

I think the big difference is that Powell had played with or against almost all the players we signed. 
    Airman mentioned Birmingham wanting rid of Castillo so we signed him on loan to enable the Aneke deal to go through.

I’m thinking more ahead to the summer where we’ll need to bring in several first choice players.
    I think that is one of the most optimistic views I have read. 
    Whether they’re any good is another thing entirely. We know we’ll bring in about 5-10 players, we have 6 loans going back and a lot of out of contract players who we won’t be keeping on. TS himself has said 2-5 permanents and 5 or 6 loans. We’ve had to do it every summer for years due to a mixture of poor and short term recruitment.
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chris Powell

Jim Smith

Alan Curbishley

Aidy Boothroyd

Nigel Pearson

Paulo Sousa

Sven-Göran Eriksson

Jonnie Jackson

Geraint Williams

Steve Cotterill

Phil Parkinson

Chris Powell

José Riga

Bob Peeters

Guy Luzon

Karel Fraeye

Russell Slade

Karl Robinson

Lee Bowyer

Nigel Adkins

John was sold to us by Chris Powell and pushed the deal through … 
  • We should have appointed him as caretaker manager until the end of season (once NA was chopped). That would have provided some clarity.
  • edited March 2022
    I’m not sure it matters who you played under if you’re good enough with your brain and people skills. And it’s certainly not a reason to write anybody off.

If you look at the managers of the current top six, you notice that playing pedigree is no indicator.

Paul Warne - 467 career appearances in the EFL (2nd to 4th tier)

Leam Richardson - 234 career appearances mostly in non-league with Accrington.

Liam Manning - less than 100 career appearances all in non-league and in Iceland.

Karl Robinson - less than 50 career appearances all in non-league.

Alex Neil - 389 career appearances, mostly bouncing between first and second tier of Scotland with Hamilton.

Steven Schumacher - 425 career appearances, mostly in the third and fourth tiers of England.
  • edited March 2022
    By comparison, Chris Powell’s playing career would apparently make him more qualified than all of the above managers. Jackson is certainly on an equal footing with the best of them from that perspective.

But there is likely little to no correlation. You can be a fantastic player and poor manager (Gary Neville) or a poor player and fantastic manager (Klopp).
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2022
    I’m not sure it matters who you played under if you’re good enough with your brain and people skills. And it’s certainly not a reason to write anybody off.

If you look at the managers of the current top six, you notice that playing pedigree is no indicator.

Paul Warne - 467 career appearances in the EFL (2nd to 4th tier)

Leam Richardson - 234 career appearances mostly in non-league with Accrington.

Liam Manning - less than 100 career appearances all in non-league and in Iceland.

Karl Robinson - less than 50 career appearances all in non-league.

Alex Neil - 389 career appearances, mostly bouncing between first and second tier of Scotland with Hamilton.

Steven Schumacher - 425 career appearances, mostly in the third and fourth tiers of England.
    The point I was trying to make was who had SCP and JJ played or coached under, how much they had learnt or been mentored from these managers. Chris had probably the better exposure when he took charge of Charlton (for the record I thought his appointment was horribly sentimental, how wrong was I). Also, I realise that who influenced you only makes up a small part of a managers makeup. The other point I was trying to make was I can’t be too optimistic about next season when head of recruitment is the owners son who played a few games for Barnet compared to Peter Varney, ex EPL CEO. I want to believe that this will be a repeat of SCP’s return to Charlton as manager and subsequent promotion but the comparison is not exactly the same.
  • By comparison, Chris Powell’s playing career would apparently make him more qualified than all of the above managers. Jackson is certainly on an equal footing with the best of them from that perspective.

But there is likely little to no correlation. You can be a fantastic player and poor manager (Gary Neville) or a poor player and fantastic manager (Klopp).
    Some of the worlds best managers never set the world alight as players. Wenger, Benitez, van Gaal, Mourinho, Sacchi. Carlos Parreira won a world cup for Brazil and he never played the game. McLaren, Sven and Hodgson managed England and they weren't good players.

As Sacchi himself famously said "I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first".
  • Lennie Lawrence , in all the years he was manager he got players giving 100%. Some of them had limited ability but he always produced a team with spirit. Bowyer had the players running through brick walls for the first two seasons. JJ only managed it for 7 or 8 games. What a crock of shit these players are. Crap for the first dozen games , then played like a promotion team for 8 games and then downed tools again. 
  • Jacko’s Points per game 34/24
    would currently put us on 52.5 points which is 12th
    and a season ending total of 65
  • I thought Sandgaard junior played for Enfield not Barnet. 

This is important because Barnet are in the National Conference and Enfield are a few Divisions below that. 
  • Jacko’s Points per game 37/25
    would currently put us on 56 points which is 12th
    and a season ending total of 68
  • Jacko’s Points per game 37/25
    would currently put us on 56 points which is 12th
    and a season ending total of 68
    So we would already have missed out on the play offs. 
  • Just heard David Moyes on skysports talking about injuries to squad players…just wheel them out & when & now and again we may have to change shapes & formations at different times…WoW…😳,just wondering if Jacko is aware of these hidden gem ideas…seems it’s unheard of at Sparrow’s Lane…🤔

we are falling and will continue to so if something or someone doesn’t change…🥺
  • Just heard David Moyes on skysports talking about injuries to squad players…just wheel them out & when & now and again we may have to change shapes & formations at different times…WoW…😳,just wondering if Jacko is aware of these hidden gem ideas…seems it’s unheard of at Sparrow’s Lane…🤔

we are falling and will continue to so if something or someone doesn’t change…🥺
    We won our last 2 games...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2022
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chris Powell

Jim Smith

Alan Curbishley

Aidy Boothroyd

Nigel Pearson

Paulo Sousa

Sven-Göran Eriksson

Jonnie Jackson

Geraint Williams

Steve Cotterill

Phil Parkinson

Chris Powell

José Riga

Bob Peeters

Guy Luzon

Karel Fraeye

Russell Slade

Karl Robinson

Lee Bowyer

Nigel Adkins

I doubt Bowyer had heard of Liam Millar or Ian Maatsen. 
  • edited March 2022
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chris Powell

Jim Smith

Alan Curbishley

Aidy Boothroyd

Nigel Pearson

Paulo Sousa

Sven-Göran Eriksson

Jonnie Jackson

Geraint Williams

Steve Cotterill

Phil Parkinson

Chris Powell

José Riga

Bob Peeters

Guy Luzon

Karel Fraeye

Russell Slade

Karl Robinson

Lee Bowyer

Nigel Adkins

And it showed because Millar played in 4 different positions in his first 2 hours. 

It's totally unreasonable to expect a manager at this level to know every player that's available or suitable.

However if the manager has very limited input in recruitment how much accountability can you place on them for results?

If they are too separated you'll just end up with one side blaming the other a vice versa.  Which I believe happened with us last summer.

If the manager chooses to delegate it to a chief scout, head of recruitment or what ever then that's his look out. 
  • Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chris Powell

Jim Smith

Alan Curbishley

Aidy Boothroyd

Nigel Pearson

Paulo Sousa

Sven-Göran Eriksson

Jonnie Jackson

Geraint Williams

Steve Cotterill

Phil Parkinson

Chris Powell

José Riga

Bob Peeters

Guy Luzon

Karel Fraeye

Russell Slade

Karl Robinson

Lee Bowyer

Nigel Adkins

I don’t think that would be the case.

I knew I’d both of them, then I’m pretty sure a professional football manager with a director of recruitment would have too
  • Bowyer admitted he and Jackson had never heard of Gallagher until Gallen mentioned him. 
    They were shocked how good he was first training session. 
  • edited March 2022
    Maccn05 said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chris Powell

Jim Smith

Alan Curbishley

Aidy Boothroyd

Nigel Pearson

Paulo Sousa

Sven-Göran Eriksson

Jonnie Jackson

Geraint Williams

Steve Cotterill

Phil Parkinson

Chris Powell

José Riga

Bob Peeters

Guy Luzon

Karel Fraeye

Russell Slade

Karl Robinson

Lee Bowyer

Nigel Adkins

I knew I’d both of them, then I’m pretty sure a professional football manager with a director of recruitment would have too
    Heard of and know anything significant about are probably two very different things though.

Remember Gallen claimed he had never heard of Simms or Sims (I honestly can't remember which but it doesn't matter) when @sage asked him about him.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chris Powell

Jim Smith

Alan Curbishley

Aidy Boothroyd

Nigel Pearson

Paulo Sousa

Sven-Göran Eriksson

Jonnie Jackson

Geraint Williams

Steve Cotterill

Phil Parkinson

Chris Powell

José Riga

Bob Peeters

Guy Luzon

Karel Fraeye

Russell Slade

Karl Robinson

Lee Bowyer

Nigel Adkins

Heard of and know anything significant about are probably two very different things though.

Remember Gallen claimed he had never heard of Simms or Sims (I honestly can't remember which but it doesn't matter) when @sage asked him about him.

Yep. And he was the top scorer in the U23's Prem. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chris Powell

Jim Smith

Alan Curbishley

Aidy Boothroyd

Nigel Pearson

Paulo Sousa

Sven-Göran Eriksson

Jonnie Jackson

Geraint Williams

Steve Cotterill

Phil Parkinson

Chris Powell

José Riga

Bob Peeters

Guy Luzon

Karel Fraeye

Russell Slade

Karl Robinson

Lee Bowyer

Nigel Adkins

Josh Sims?

I noticed he didn’t have a club for ages until he recently signed for Ross County, where it does not look like he has made an appearance yet. Strange one that. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chris Powell

Jim Smith

Alan Curbishley

Aidy Boothroyd

Nigel Pearson

Paulo Sousa

Sven-Göran Eriksson

Jonnie Jackson

Geraint Williams

Steve Cotterill

Phil Parkinson

Chris Powell

José Riga

Bob Peeters

Guy Luzon

Karel Fraeye

Russell Slade

Karl Robinson

Lee Bowyer

Nigel Adkins

Josh Sims?

I noticed he didn’t have a club for ages until he recently signed for Ross County, where it does not look like he has made an appearance yet. Strange one that. 
    Ellis Simms was the one Sage mentioned to Gallen in the Q&A

Think that Sage was also a fan of Josh Sims though - Seems he only joined Ross County at the start of this year, been without a club since the summer which is very surprising.
  • Well I’m in the wrong game then… I should speak to Martin as I know both Sims.

Ellis was excellent for Blackpool last year but got a pre season injury that cost him another loan

Adkins wanted Sims, who shone at Donny last year but Sandgaard wanted Leko.

I believe there were also rumours of Josh having some mental health and fitness issues which was why he took so long to get picked up.