Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Plymouth Argyle | Saturday 20th November 2021

Comments

• Options
    I was 100% sure the playoffs were beyond us after our early form. They most definitely are not. COYR
    They were if we had put a mortal in charge. With God at the wheel anything is possible!!
    Jacko = God

That's what I was trying to get at here!
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I took my Dulwich Hamlet mate again, and told him we’d win 3-0. 
    He couldn’t believe it was the same players as he’d seen earlier in the season. I meant to have a bet on the three nil, but forgot to put it on, so was almost relieved when it was only two. 
    Again, we looked so well set up in all areas of the field, so this upturn in results and form isn’t just the players playing for the shirt, or ‘getting Charlton’, it would be unfair on Jackson to say that. No, the fella really knows his stuff, and I can see us maintaining a decent run for some time. 
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    A couple of defenders, a goalie and maybe another aggressive midfielder in the window and who knows? 

WELL DONE JJ - keep it going.

We are getting our club back.

A central defender or two and a striker and that should do us. Not sure we need any more midfielders.
  • Options
    So im guessing its more or less the same lineup we finished the game with against plymouth for our next game against morecambe. is it too soon to bring elerewe in now that captain pearce is not there to guide him or does he deserve a chance?
  • Options
    brilliant performance from the team - again, brilliant from Jacko, TS and the fans - its all been said already but this really does feel like a turning point and we might look back on today as the start of an enduring turn around in the club's fortunes - bowyer had the rug pulled from him but i think Jacko is going to be even better (the man is a star) and TS will be able to support him going forwards - i think we are truly now on our way back - lots of the freebies my sons brought with them are talking about a half year season ticket - be very interesting to see what the next home gate is - keep playing like that, get promoted and we will be banging the ground out in the championship, let alone the prem  
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    After the match I was approached at the top of Floyd Road by two very large and very pissed Plymouth fans who asked if I was Charlton. I raised myself to my full 5 feet 7 inches, stuck out my 66 year old chest and proudly confirmed I was. Half expecting a row, I was watchful, but they proceeded to tell me that they would still be promoted, that we're the best team they've faced all season, that we'll be in the Championship with them next year and that it was a cracking atmosphere in a game we deserved to win. I complimented them on a fantastic turnout by the Plymouth fans and we parted with handshakes (one of them was shaking a lot already and didn't need to put in any motion at all :)). Nice lads, and a good end to a brilliant afternoon.

Ps. Followed by a less good journey home, where an accident ahead of me on the M3 meant I didn't get in util 8pm.
    I feel your pain.  :(
  • Options
    need to shift arter and watson if poss off the payrole in jan and bolster a couple of areas but i think we can get in the playoffs no problem and could be on the fringes by jan 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    need to shift arter and watson if poss off the payrole in jan and bolster a couple of areas but i think we can get in the playoffs no problem and could be on the fringes by jan 
    Think it all comes down to TS and his ambition. Not here criticising him at all, just an opinion. 7 games until transfer window. If we are 6 to 10 points behind top 2, will he really push the budget out to get that extra quality or not? Not just squad fillers, but starting 11 quality. Think we are lacking in areas, but we shall see. Very exciting times I think.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    still wish arter had something to offer but perhaps he's just finished like Joe Ledley. disappointing for a fairly recent prem player.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    still wish arter had something to offer but perhaps he's just finished like Joe Ledley. disappointing for a fairly recent prem player.

He's not ours to shift - season long loan wasn't it?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    A bit like Nigel not playing Dobson etc, some players just need the opportunity to show what they can actually do when they have a team around them that’s been given a game plan they can all work with 
  • Options
    One good thing, good job there is no VAR in this league otherwise DJ would have conceded a handball penalty in the first half. Lucky it was at our end not theirs 
    Even if the ball hit his hand they don’t always give those, although I’d need to see it again. Even if they did give the penalty and they’d scored, I could see this side battling back and winning, which certainly wouldn’t have been the case size weeks ago. 
  • Options
    Never had any doubts about Jackson .Went to bed at 2am happy as a fiddler's dog

We all know he can do motivation but today he showed he's a smart tactician too. 

I feared we may have run out of ideas at half time. So many decent crosses,  so few clear cut chances. 

Then somehow we got even better. Then Pearcey was injured  but instead of collapsing we scored.

That  was very high class opposition and we made them look ordinary.

Can we keep up this ultra high intensity all season ?
    This is why I am crap at catchphrase! Fiddler's dog? Butchers dog I know but I didn't know Jimmy Savile had a dog!
    I’m just pleased he didn’t say fiddling the dog!!😬😳😂
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Not every team we play is going to be a Rotherham or a Plymouth
    Indeed.  Let's hope we can keep it up on a cold Tuesday night in Morecambe.
    That’s funny because I don’t think my Mrs has been to Morecambe, but she would be saying the same thing!!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    One good thing, good job there is no VAR in this league otherwise DJ would have conceded a handball penalty in the first half. Lucky it was at our end not theirs 
    Even if the ball hit his hand they don’t always give those, although I’d need to see it again. Even if they did give the penalty and they’d scored, I could see this side battling back and winning, which certainly wouldn’t have been the case size weeks ago. 
    You could argue the same about a penalty on Lee if VAR is used. No need to look at such minor details in the scheme of things.
  • Options
    Anyone else see the bell ends walking round behind the covered end around 2pm singing/goading…..amazed they were allowed to crack on as much as they did 
    About 2.20 there was someone in the North upper toilets with blood pouring out of his nose & his mates gobbing off about how no-one was helping them and "call this a Premiership set up". 

Looks like they might have got their come uppance. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone else see the bell ends walking round behind the covered end around 2pm singing/goading…..amazed they were allowed to crack on as much as they did 
    About 2.20 there was someone in the North upper toilets with blood pouring out of his nose & his mates gobbing off about how no-one was helping them and "call this a Premiership set up". 

Looks like they might have got their come uppance. 
    Dodgy marching powder?
  • Options
    There are a lot of very good photographs on this site from a Plymouth fan at the game yesterday.

https://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    charltons cup final

disgruntled pasty eating cream tea fans 

https://pasoti.co.uk/threads/charltons-cup-final.116573/

edit: tbf there are some sensible pasty eating cream tea fans on that site. 
  • Options
    We are a coach down and I think Watson, Pearce and Gunter may be picking up the slack.
  • Options
    We are a coach down and I think Watson, Pearce and Gunter may be picking up the slack.
    Anthony Hayes under 23 manager is now on the bench at 1st team matches & assisting in pre-match warm up, so i suppose has stepped up, maybe temporarily.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    BigDiddy said:
    A couple of defenders, a goalie and maybe another aggressive midfielder in the window and who knows? 

WELL DONE JJ - keep it going.

We are getting our club back.

A central defender or two and a striker and that should do us. Not sure we need any more midfielders.
    I mean I know it’s a big IF but if they are all fit W have 5 central defenders already if you include Deji not mention Gunter , Clare and Mathews who can cover there