Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Plymouth Argyle | Saturday 20th November 2021

Comments

• Options
    Carter said:
    Now I've calmed down I'll post without hyperbole 

That might have been the most complete performance I can recall from a Charlton Athletic side of the last 20 years. Plymouth are a good, good side and Ryan Lowe was my choice after Bow left, we haven't just totally dominated, out fought, out worked and out played a mickey mouse team. 

Ben Purrington is in the form of his life, Elliot Lee is a true legend in the making, truly he is playing below himself but he is such a good example with his work rate. Akin Famewo was a tower at the back and dominated a very decent number 9. DJ completely roasted their left side and ran himself into the ground. Connor Washington remained a threat throughout and whilst George Dobson/the white Kante has set his bar really high and had another inspirational game today. And Alex Gilbey has also made himself undroppable, truly sets the standard for lung busting runs. 

I'm so so happy with the turnaround and more than anything the absolute effort and desire being displayed, thats all I ever want from a Charlton team and to see some of the genuinely decent footballers we have leaving it all put there every game makes us a horrible prospect for anyone in the league 
    Agreed, i thought it was brilliant near the end they played a short corner and three of our boys absolutely sprinted towards them to stop it. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Amazing result, if Jackson continues he is single handedly proving how influential the right man for the job can be

great to have a fuller ground, wasn’t the same as the semi but different occasion of course

Should Washington shoot from the right more often, he seems to fail from the left :) so glad hes starting to get in his groove

ps I’m starting to waver on when decisions should be made, that result should seal it really
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Adkins midfield was always being out numbered, Jacko has corrected that by playing three at the back with wing backs who have defensive nous covering. Adkins downfall was he either didn't want to change his system or he didnt know how to. 
    Not only that, Jacko has picked the three players who bring a balance of technique and ground covering energy.
    That may be down to more time on the training ground getting those players to understand and believe in the system.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We were very good today, apart from a couple of moments in the first half I thought we dealt with Plymouth attack very well. Famewo the standout for me. 
  • Options
    Loving the sour grapes on the Plymouth forum claiming it was our cup final. Brilliant performance, made a team playing very well look average at best. So many players performing at levels you wouldn't think possible after seeing them under Adkins.

Hope the Plymouth lads aren't too disappointed at missing out on the open-top bus parade they had arranged in expectance of their win.

Cup final?  I thought plymouth was a made up place by the Ginsters marketing team until I heard Josh Widdicome mention it on a podcast.
    Ha ha ...... I know what you mean. Plymouth is a tiny little hamlet of 250,000 people and a catchment area of a further 1 million.

Ginsters might sponsor Argyle, but their pasties are made in Cornwall.
    Nobody in Cornwall will eat a Ginsters pasty. 

• Options
    I was 100% sure the playoffs were beyond us after our early form. They most definitely are not. COYR
    They were if we had put a mortal in charge. With God at the wheel anything is possible!!
  • Options
    What a fabulous day all round.

And better than the Donny play-off semi in one aspect at least - we won the game! 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    dickad1 said:
    Really great valley day today, up there with some of my favourites, despite the queues to get in and missing the first ten minutes. Pretty obviously not opening all the west upper turnstiles for a sold out game was going to result in that. Plus the electronic scanning thing is rubbish. At one point they opened the exit gates and people surged in. 

Hopefully there’s some sort of review.

Anyway, was able to quickly forget all of that, and hopefully the first timers did too. This team puts in a shift like few others I’ve seen.  Every one of them. 

Special mentions for Dobson (lad can switch on the afterburners when he chooses) and Famewo, closely followed by Gilbey and DJ. 

But for me Elliot Lee the standout. For a flair player, his work off the ball is exceptional.

I don’t know why it is, but over the last 30 years or so the successful DNA of this club is modest players working their nuts off for a manager who’s an ex player. Would be incredibly brave stupid of TS to go against that now, as much as we surely need to find another formula at some point! 
    My take on it
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    The only slight concern I can see is, how do the players keep that level of intensity up, and over two thirds of a season where they’re playing catch up?
    The lads put such a shift in against Rotherham and Plymouth that by 70mins many of them were cooked.
    I hope they can do it.

They were on holiday for the first 12 games
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    The only slight concern I can see is, how do the players keep that level of intensity up, and over two thirds of a season where they’re playing catch up?
    The lads put such a shift in against Rotherham and Plymouth that by 70mins many of them were cooked.
    I hope they can do it.

They were on holiday for the first 12 games
    I wouldn’t say they were cooked. Pressed less most definitely but Washington, Lee and Gilbey were making a nuisance of themselves, pressing and driving forwards right up to the 96th minute. 
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    aliwibble said:
    Just following up with something from the match thread
    Will young Master Stockley have to play full back on his return?
    That should be centre back, surely?
    Nicholas said:
    Absolutely gutted I wasn't there today as I tested positive for Covid :( Really wanted to take my boy to a packed valley for once.  Brilliant performance by the boys today so nice to see a proper team again.  Coyr 
    Hope you've just got a mild case @Nicholas, and that there'll be another close to full house in the near future to take him to.
    Thanks mate just ate a teaspoon of English mustard for the sake of it  tasted nothing 🤦‍♂️
    Fire in the hole!!!!
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    No way we had only 37% possession.
    Agreed, those possession stats are baffling when we had control of the ball for long sections of the match. It wasn't a counterattacking performance
  • Options
    Loving the sour grapes on the Plymouth forum claiming it was our cup final. Brilliant performance, made a team playing very well look average at best. So many players performing at levels you wouldn't think possible after seeing them under Adkins.

Hope the Plymouth lads aren't too disappointed at missing out on the open-top bus parade they had arranged in expectance of their win.
    No we didn't, we made them look shit. If Stockley played yesterday,  we win that by at least 4.