Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Women to rebrand as "Charlton Ladies" - turned down by FA (p28)

Comments

• Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    @Grapevine49 Thank you for your stalwart support of CAST. In answer to your question on our interest in the women’s team, you can refer to our AGM in November this year when we held a vote to amend our rules to ensure our definition of “club” included the women and not only Charlton Athletic Football Company. The resolution was passed almost unanimously. That was a few weeks before the Ladies / Women controversy arose. 

Myself and @Pico also met with Thomas and Raelynn before the Ipswich match and described directly to them why CAST were opposed to the rumoured change once it was being reported.
    So TS didnt listen  to you and @pico then?
    The answer is in plain sight here:

https://www.castrust.org/2021/12/charlton-women-why-we-oppose-the-name-change/
    You and Pico had a meeting with TS before the Ipswich game.
    2 days ago TS is referring to the womens team as the ladies team on twitter.
    If TS was listening would he still be referring to them as ladies on social media?

He also didn’t listen to the Fans’ Forum on the matter. 
    No.
    So what next from the trust and various groups?
    There was a commitment at the Fans' Forum to a follow-up meeting, the organisation of which is presently with the Fans' Advisor.
    Or feel free to provide any further suggestions.
  • Options
    Sandgaard is the only person in the whole world mad enough to have backed the womens side to go full time on top of burning money on us 

• Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    @Grapevine49 Thank you for your stalwart support of CAST. In answer to your question on our interest in the women’s team, you can refer to our AGM in November this year when we held a vote to amend our rules to ensure our definition of “club” included the women and not only Charlton Athletic Football Company. The resolution was passed almost unanimously. That was a few weeks before the Ladies / Women controversy arose. 

Myself and @Pico also met with Thomas and Raelynn before the Ipswich match and described directly to them why CAST were opposed to the rumoured change once it was being reported.

If TS was listening would he still be referring to them as ladies on social media?

No.
    There was a commitment at the Fans' Forum to a follow-up meeting, the organisation of which is presently with the Fans' Advisor.
    I should imagine the trust and various groups hope TS reigns the ladies comments in.
    If not it then becomes awkward for people.

• Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:

No.
    I should imagine the trust and various groups hope TS reigns the ladies comments in.
    If not it then becomes awkward for people.

TS has said that all away coach travel to watch the ladies play will be free if he gets his way. 
  • Options
    This goes against 25 years of equality work done by the club and trust. 

I wonder what supporters that think this is ok because TS is the owner and can do what he wants will think if he announced we are moving grounds or renaming the club.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:

Didn’t listen or didn’t choose to opt (now) for the Womens title? 

In absence of the minutes I don’t know what the conversation was or explanation given as to TS preference to use Ladies. 

Is there his side to the story ?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    SE9toDA2 said:
    This goes against 25 years of equality work done by the club and trust. 

I wonder what supporters that think this is ok because TS is the owner and can do what he wants will think if he announced we are moving grounds or renaming the club.
    So long as Roland ended up missing out on a pay out...
  • Options
    valleynick66 said:

In absence of the minutes I don’t know what the conversation was or explanation given as to TS preference to use Ladies. 

I think they listened when Weegie and I met them. We just didn't succeed in convincing them what a retrograde step it was. 

His starting point was that the team needs to be rebranded as a result of his taking it over and turning it professional. At that point It might perhaps have been a good idea for him to have opened it up to suggestions from players, staff, sponsors and supporters but he didn't do that. 

It seemed to me that what mattered to him most was that he had instructed the change six months ago and that his instructions hadn't been carried out. He didn't want to be seen as someone who could be manipulated. 
  • Options
    Pico said:
    valleynick66 said:

I think they listened when Weegie and I met them. We just didn't succeed in convincing them what a retrograde step it was. 

His starting point was that the team needs to be rebranded as a result of his taking it over and turning it professional. At that point It might perhaps have been a good idea for him to have opened it up to suggestions from players, staff, sponsors and supporters but he didn't do that. 

It seemed to me that what mattered to him most was that he had instructed the change six months ago and that his instructions hadn't been carried out. He didn't want to be seen as someone who could be manipulated. 
    Thank you for the explanation/interpretation. 

Setting aside the Ladies v Women thing (temporarily) as I have no real strong view i am slightly curious as to the frustration of inactivity for 6 months.

Makes me wonder who he sees to blame for that and if he has needed to spend more time sorting out behind the scenes stuff more generally than we ordinarily see.  Is it likely / possible he is frustrated with delays throughout the football club and his “can do” attitude has been thwarted a little?
  • Options
    Pico said:
    valleynick66 said:

Mmmmmm that’s very interesting & makes more sense as to why his son is now on board.
    Weggie, we may need to convince son of then? (No point in bothering with Ged imho).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TS seems to be the only one who can't see the damage this will cause to the club and its reputation.

Pride comes before a fall.
  • Options
    Pico said:
    valleynick66 said:

Setting aside the Ladies v Women thing (temporarily) as I have no real strong view i am slightly curious as to the frustration of inactivity for 6 months.

Makes me wonder who he sees to blame for that and if he has needed to spend more time sorting out behind the scenes stuff more generally than we ordinarily see.  Is it likely / possible he is frustrated with delays throughout the football club and his “can do” attitude has been thwarted a little?
    Firstly, it speaks the obvious pitfall of remote oversight, which is dipping in and out of issues. But if TS is chief executive and an instruction has not been implemented after six months it’s his own fault, no one else’s. However, we don’t know if it was an instruction or how it was issued.

Secondly, the instruction, if given, is nonsense and I don’t doubt the staff’s motive in not implementing it was at least in part to protect TS. Bear in mind the comms staff didn’t share anything RD said through social media because they knew what would follow.
  • Options
    Pico said:
    valleynick66 said:

Firstly, it speaks the obvious pitfall of remote oversight, which is dipping in and out of issues. But if TS is chief executive and an instruction has not been implemented after six months it’s his own fault, no one else’s. However, we don’t know if it was an instruction or how it was issued.

Secondly, the instruction, if given, is nonsense and I don’t doubt the staff’s motive in not implementing it was at least in part to protect TS. Bear in mind the comms staff didn’t share anything RD said through social media because they knew what would follow.
    You don't like the bloke, do you?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Pico said:
    valleynick66 said:

I expect he reserves judgment as he did for ESI, Southall etc.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Pico said:
    valleynick66 said:

Maybe, but it's not coming across that way
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Pico said:
    valleynick66 said:

When Airman flagged up stuff about ESI early on I thought FFS man stop being so negative! I'm listening to him this time!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Pico said:
    valleynick66 said:

When Airman flagged up stuff about ESI early on I thought FFS man stop being so negative! I'm listening to him this time!
    That's a fair point. I do remember others falling over themselves to be pictured with the new chairman back in those dark days, but you certainly couldn't accuse Airman of being a sycophant. He's earnt his stripes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i reckon its a smokescreen - certainly took the focus away from the important issues in the last fans forum  :)
  • Options
    I don’t dislike TS, but if he does daft and damaging things they ought to be called out. This goes way beyond what fans think is right and is damaging him and the club. This isn’t going away because he says so, it has engaged people well beyond the club. It’s not a few unhappy people on Twitter, it’s his own employees on one flank and the football authorities/media/women’s sports lobby on the other. For what, exactly?
    The football authorities don’t want the term ladies to be used? So if that’s accurate maybe the perceived issue will be resolved for him then. But as I say not my beef one way or the other. 

Back to my query on how he might perceive delays you seem to suggest that’s of his own making by being remote and not a specific issue with the management team in situ. That’s interesting. 

I guess by installing his son to be on the ground irrespective of his current title / assumed remit we get closer to fixing the remote management concern. Even if it takes time maybe MS is being groomed for a role more akin to a CEO?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Thank you Weegie and Rikofold for your comments.

I am pleased to learn of the AGM Amendment. It was long, long overdue. It still does not seem to be registered within the CAST website Constitution or Rules of Charlton Supporters LIMITED. 

Rikofold you are entitled to marketing strategy. I look forward to its financial contribution to the growth of Charlton Athletic Woman’s professional football. Re Wolfsburg Ladies search the UEFA Women’s Competition on the BBC. How does such a brand equate to she wolves? It doesn’t. It’s sort of the point.

Which is why I raised it. Labels are labels are labels.

I could list a page full of further challenges but I have other things to do and it is time of goodwill so will leave it there.
  • Options
    Thank you Weegie and Rikofold for your comments.

I am pleased to learn of the AGM Amendment. It was long, long overdue. It still does seem to be registered within the CAST website Constitution or Rules of Charlton Supporters LIMITED. 

Rikofold you are entitled to marketing strategy. I look forward to its financial contribution to the growth of Charlton Athletic Woman’s professional football. Re Wolfsburg Ladies search the UEFA Women’s Competition on the BBC. How does such a brand equate to she wolves? It doesn’t. It’s sort of the point.

Which is why I raised it. Labels are labels are labels.

I could list a page full of further challenges but I have other things to do and it is time of goodwill so will leave it there.
    Merry Christmas everyone 
  • Options
    Just 2 days before Christmas the Coventry United Womens team have liquidated and the players have been told "You have a week's money now go and find a new job"

Maybe Thomas isn't do bad after all

Coventry are in the same division as CAFC.  
  • Options
    What about 'Charlton Geezer Birds' - kind of sends out the message that we aint ladylike and nor do we want to be and says we're not bothered if you thought all women footballers are a bit blokeish - which they' not of course - particularly these days - but we do have a bit of swagger, like the mens team. Any good? 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    It's still cafcwomen on the website

https://cafcwomen.co.uk/first-team/

and they'll never be ladies to me...
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    What about 'Charlton Geezer Birds' - kind of sends out the message that we aint ladylike and nor do we want to be and says we're not bothered if you thought all women footballers are a bit blokeish - which they' not of course - particularly these days - but we do have a bit of swagger, like the mens team. Any good? 
    I dare you to say that to Eartha Cumings.  They'll be taking you home in a plastic bag....

• Options
    not so sure  - she might want me as brand manager