Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Women to rebrand as "Charlton Ladies" - turned down by FA (p28)

Comments

• Options
    @lonman

You clearly didn't watch the World Cup in 2019. I was surprised at the high standard of women's football nowadays.

https://youtu.be/wiM9h_7QDtc

And the first comment under this video is absolutely spot-on:

https://youtu.be/yKLRpLosxNY

Womens international teams are that good the United States (one of the best ones) got turned over by Dallas FC under 15 team. 
  • Options
    lonman said:
    @lonman

You clearly didn't watch the World Cup in 2019. I was surprised at the high standard of women's football nowadays.

Womens international teams are that good the United States (one of the best ones) got turned over by Dallas FC under 15 team. 
    So what ….. they are two different sports 
  • Options
    What is strange about this is a change of this nature usually happens after people lobby for it. That clearly hasn't been the case here. 
  • Options
    lonman said:
    @lonman

So what? That's why men and women play in different teams. Men are naturally stronger and faster. It doesn't mean that the women are therefore no good at the sport, or not entertaining to watch.

Do you also use this kind of of comparison for the Paralympics?
    I don't watch Paralympics either I'm afraid. Each to their own. In response to  ( @holyjo ) it's the same sport ? Football. 
  • Options

...I concede I have limited knowledge of the competitive environment of a women's changing room beyond some decades ago when recovering from an injury myself I spent 6 months assisting with the physio and injury treatment of a very competitive women's hockey team...

..you sly dog, you...
  • Options

...I concede I have limited knowledge of the competitive environment of a women's changing room beyond some decades ago when recovering from an injury myself I spent 6 months assisting with the physio and injury treatment of a very competitive women's hockey team...

..you sly dog, you...
    I’ll wager in that time he only treated one player once he started telling her what was wrong with her…..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you're happy that, as the new owner, Thomas Sandaard is perfectly entitled to change the name; and if you're equally happy that "the very last thing I want to do with a new business is what everyone else is doing", then, presumably, you'd have absolutely no problem with him changing the name to Charlton Athletic Soccer Club. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    If you're happy that, as the new owner, Thomas Sandaard is perfectly entitled to change the name; and if you're equally happy that "the very last thing I want to do with a new business is what everyone else is doing", then, presumably, you'd have absolutely no problem with him changing the name to Charlton Athletic Soccer Club. 
    Wouldn't it be Charlton Athletic Association Football Club?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chizz said:
    Wouldn't it be Charlton Athletic Association Football Club?
    No, soccer is a derivative of Association Football and will add appeal to sales in the US
  • Options
    Just came to say that TS tweeted last night about the 5-0 win v Watford.

Unlike previous tweets he didn't use the word "ladies".
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    lonman said:

Women’s cycling is a good example, both on the track and on the road, of how women’s sport can be just as exciting as men’s, despite their physical disadvantages. The major differences are that their average speeds are lower, and that the women are less well known than the men at the moment, but that’ll change as the sport gets more TV coverage. 
    I once stumbled upon coverage of a woman’s triathlon on Eurosport, and the commentators were very good at giving you background information on the participants. I found it really fascinating, despite not being a triathlon fan. One of the women was a legend of the sport, making her comeback after a year or two away, and she won the event.   When their race had finished the coverage switched the the men’s race. I watched for 10 minutes but found it less engaging as I didn’t know participants and didn’t watch for long enough to learn their back stories. 
    So given a level playing field women’s sport can be even more entertaining than the men’s. 
    All these things take time, and right now I prefer men’s football, tennis and cycling over women’s, but would I watch the women’s versions of those sports? Yes, and I do. It’s remarkable how the gap in quality between them has narrowed over the last ten or twenty years. And the more you watch the sports the more you get to know the individuals taking part, and the more entertaining it becomes.
    "Level playing field"  is a terrible metaphor to use in this case. 

But I agree with everything else! 

If you want to watch the "best" of most things (even chess), you should just watch machines. But it's seeing people  with human limitations struggling against each other that makes sport dramatic and fun to watch.
  • Options
    interesting that the report on the Watford game on the OS refers to Watford as "Watford Women" and Charlton as "Charlton" without a gender description, seems a good way to go
  • Options
    interesting that the report on the Watford game on the OS refers to Watford as "Watford Women" and Charlton as "Charlton" without a gender description, seems a good way to go
    The Twitter feed is still Charlton Women.

The Tweet about last night's win was liked by Thomas without him referring to Charlton Ladies. A difference from all his previous retweets.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    lonman said:

Women’s cycling is a good example, both on the track and on the road, of how women’s sport can be just as exciting as men’s, despite their physical disadvantages. The major differences are that their average speeds are lower, and that the women are less well known than the men at the moment, but that’ll change as the sport gets more TV coverage. 
    I once stumbled upon coverage of a woman’s triathlon on Eurosport, and the commentators were very good at giving you background information on the participants. I found it really fascinating, despite not being a triathlon fan. One of the women was a legend of the sport, making her comeback after a year or two away, and she won the event.   When their race had finished the coverage switched the the men’s race. I watched for 10 minutes but found it less engaging as I didn’t know participants and didn’t watch for long enough to learn their back stories. 
    So given a level playing field women’s sport can be even more entertaining than the men’s. 
    All these things take time, and right now I prefer men’s football, tennis and cycling over women’s, but would I watch the women’s versions of those sports? Yes, and I do. It’s remarkable how the gap in quality between them has narrowed over the last ten or twenty years. And the more you watch the sports the more you get to know the individuals taking part, and the more entertaining it becomes.
    "Level playing field"  is a terrible metaphor to use in this case. 

But I agree with everything else! 

If you want to watch the "best" of most things (even chess), you should just watch machines. But it's seeing people  with human limitations struggling against each other that makes sport dramatic and fun to watch.

Not sure you mean that.  Have you watched robot football?

With Chess, the machines are almost there but, when you talk about 'best', that has to include the drama.  Check out Game 6 of the recent Carlsen v Nepomniachitchi World Championship.  That is sporting perfection.

Sport is more than just technical ability.  It is a ballet, a dance, a play, a story.  'Best' doesn't just mean technical capability.

And siding with one team or another is part of the theatre.

Ladies?  Women?  I don't care. 

But don't compare the two versions of football to one another.  Enjoy each for what it is.
  • Options
    That is exactly what I meant!

I did indeed watch the World Chess Championship!

Machines are now "better" at chess than humans in the same way that cars can routinely move faster than human beings.

But I prefer the Olympics 100m final to watching cars moving twice as fast on the M25!
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Decided to try and engage on Twitter about the change of name. Some men get angry about being able to call it the ladies team as they respect ladies while being overly aggressive and confrontational to women. To me that doesn’t tally up. 

There’s a load of massive pricks on there.

Written by me, a lady….. 
    Presumably the massive pricks don't just belong to the men though? I would assume that some non-binary or non-gender specific people also have, or can act like, massive pricks?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Curb_It said:
    Decided to try and engage on Twitter about the change of name. Some men get angry about being able to call it the ladies team as they respect ladies while being overly aggressive and confrontational to women. To me that doesn’t tally up. 

Written by me, a lady….. 
    Presumably the massive pricks don't just belong to the men though? I would assume that some non-binary or non-gender specific people also have, or can act like, massive pricks?
    Yes they can. You great big dickhead! Xxx
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Curb_It said:

Written by me, a lady….. 
    Cooee!
  • Options
    Major said:
    PWR

I sense any objection is a generational thing.

People my age don't give a toss about names.

You know why?

Because it doesn't bloody well matter.
    Do you mean men your age? Because I have yet to come across a woman of any age put their hand up and say they don’t give a toss.
    Indeed. I meant Men. But I have yet to come across a woman who would object to being called a lady.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Sandgaard has got both sides on this debate on strings. As soon as mentions the word ‘Ladies’ the same old usual individuals from both sides pop up and are full of it.

He’s getting a kick out of it now, but both sides don’t want to take it any further and just pontificate about it on twitter. No plan B
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Sandgaard has got both sides on this debate on strings. As soon as mentions the word ‘Ladies’ the same old usual individuals from both sides pop up and are full of it.

He’s getting a kick out of it now, but both sides don’t want to take it any further and just pontificate about it on twitter. No plan B
    Which is pathetic isn’t it. This is clearly a serious issue for those involved in the womens team. 

Not only is he not listening to what they’re telling him but now you could argue he’s goading them on Twitter. He’s gone massively down in my estimation over this.