Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Women to rebrand as "Charlton Ladies" - turned down by FA (p28)

Comments

• The word 'women' better captures the zeitgeist of the modern working environment. 

• Just change "Charlton Athletic" to "Charlton Gentlemen" and the problem is easily solved.

But no sporting club or event for men is named this way in the modern world.

The offense to women is surely that we would never countenance having a "gentlemen's" football team but we are happy to have a "ladies" football team.

Both imply that membership is restricted to a certain type of well-mannered person. Which it is not!
    Does the 'Ladies' sign outside a toilet, imply that it is restricted to a well-mannered person?
  • Not really! It's just an anachronistic and charming custom that is accepted as such by most of the English speaking world.

But, perhaps, if you start talking about the ladies and gentlemen's wards in a public hospital you are in danger of making that implication.

There a would be an even larger difference in perceived meaning between a "woman's prison" and a "lady's prison". Or a "man's prison" and a "gentleman's prison".
  • Just change "Charlton Athletic" to "Charlton Gentlemen" and the problem is easily solved.

But no sporting club or event for men is named this way in the modern world.

The offense to women is surely that we would never countenance having a "gentlemen's" football team but we are happy to have a "ladies" football team.

Both imply that membership is restricted to a certain type of well-mannered person. Which it is not!
    Does the 'Ladies' sign outside a toilet, imply that it is restricted to a well-mannered person?
    Well, right sl4ppers, do generally just do their business in the gutter outside the pub anyway.
  • edited December 2021
    A remarkable thread...... 

If one takes a look at the Women's football pyramid on Wiki virtually all of the leagues are know as "Women's Leagues or Divisions " with the notable exception of the Derby area know as the Derbyshire Ladies League. A living case of the exception proving the rule.
  • lonman said:
    I guess changing the name is a 'faux pas' However, it gives some media exposure to the Charlton Women's team like getting a write up in the DT. The standard of women's football is piss poor, I'd personally rather go and watch the Youth Team. I guess if you're appealing to a group of people that are all about Women's football then you may want to be 'politically correct' when naming the side.
    Having retired I get to watch the women's team and the under 18s and under 23s. They are all good teams. If anything the women's team are fitter than the other 2.
  • edited December 2021
    I agree with AB. 
  • edited December 2021
    lonman said:
    I guess changing the name is a 'faux pas' However, it gives some media exposure to the Charlton Women's team like getting a write up in the DT. The standard of women's football is piss poor, I'd personally rather go and watch the Youth Team. I guess if you're appealing to a group of people that are all about Women's football then you may want to be 'politically correct' when naming the side.
    The comparison with watching the academy teams is misplaced because at least part of the interest of the latter surely lies in the potential for progression to the men’s first team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Let the team decide, that's the simple answer, and if they prefer 'women ' the jobs done. 
    And in a year or twos time when some have left and others joined do they get asked again?
  • Let the team decide, that's the simple answer, and if they prefer 'women ' the jobs done. 
    And in a year or twos time when some have left and others joined do they get asked again?
    Yes, make it an annual vote, and do it as half-time entertainment.
  • The issue imo is TS apparently seeking to steamroll unnecessary change in the face of opposition, but the whole everyday terminology thing is a bit of a minefield to me. I’m not surprised some people are confused.

I know language evolves, but it is not always easy to keep up with terminology shifts as a result of empowerment, and this definitely feels one of those (example, I’ve learnt today that some women don’t like their sex adjective form being referred to as ‘females’ as that would give the assumption they had been born female which isn’t always the case) . 

Some blokes see referring to women (plural) as ladies is courteous and respectful. The right terminology when approaching multiple people (I’d say for example ‘excuse me ladies to a group of women as I would say excuse me gents / fellas to a group of men). 

Some people have known all their lives the women version of sports clubs being referred as the ladies section. My golf club seem proud of their ladies section and all comms emanating from themselves to their members refers to themselves as ladies. 

Some women like being referred to as ladies as it feels they are being treated with respect. Others seem to find it patronising, belittling and that chivalry is archaic and should get in the sea.  Most I suspect don’t really give a shit one way or another.

I’m a dinosaur so probably completely out of step with this, but just thought I’d offer an honest view. I wouldn’t be surprised if TS just doesn’t get this, particularly if he has a partner that feels the language use of ladies is complementary and not belittling or condescending.

As said in previous post, not reading the mood in the room and actively looking to ignore it is more the issue to me
    This pretty much sums up where I am am and Mrs TT too. 

I don't like the thought of intentionally offending people but find it hard to keep up with ever changing perceptions of previously polite and respectful words. 

For me it's a non story but can't see why TS didn't consult or would want to push ahead with it given the opposition. 

I wonder what people who are upset by the use of 'lady' would think of the commonly used word 'maid' in North Devon? I've never heard it used in a way intended to offend and I've never known anyone find offence when referred to in this way. 
    Just as a matter of interest, which other previously polite and respectful words words did you have in mind @TellyTubby? ‘Lady’ is still polite and respectful (except when it replaces ‘women’ in the name of the women’s team against the teams wishes) as far as I know, but can’t think of any others. Genuine question. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    The issue imo is TS apparently seeking to steamroll unnecessary change in the face of opposition, but the whole everyday terminology thing is a bit of a minefield to me. I’m not surprised some people are confused.

I know language evolves, but it is not always easy to keep up with terminology shifts as a result of empowerment, and this definitely feels one of those (example, I’ve learnt today that some women don’t like their sex adjective form being referred to as ‘females’ as that would give the assumption they had been born female which isn’t always the case) . 

Some blokes see referring to women (plural) as ladies is courteous and respectful. The right terminology when approaching multiple people (I’d say for example ‘excuse me ladies to a group of women as I would say excuse me gents / fellas to a group of men). 

Some people have known all their lives the women version of sports clubs being referred as the ladies section. My golf club seem proud of their ladies section and all comms emanating from themselves to their members refers to themselves as ladies. 

Some women like being referred to as ladies as it feels they are being treated with respect. Others seem to find it patronising, belittling and that chivalry is archaic and should get in the sea.  Most I suspect don’t really give a shit one way or another.

I’m a dinosaur so probably completely out of step with this, but just thought I’d offer an honest view. I wouldn’t be surprised if TS just doesn’t get this, particularly if he has a partner that feels the language use of ladies is complementary and not belittling or condescending.

As said in previous post, not reading the mood in the room and actively looking to ignore it is more the issue to me

I don't like the thought of intentionally offending people but find it hard to keep up with ever changing perceptions of previously polite and respectful words. 

For me it's a non story but can't see why TS didn't consult or would want to push ahead with it given the opposition. 

I wonder what people who are upset by the use of 'lady' would think of the commonly used word 'maid' in North Devon? I've never heard it used in a way intended to offend and I've never known anyone find offence when referred to in this way. 
    Just as a matter of interest, which other previously polite and respectful words words did you have in mind @TellyTubby? ‘Lady’ is still polite and respectful (except when it replaces ‘women’ in the name of the women’s team against the teams wishes) as far as I know, but can’t think of any others. Genuine question. 
    Older generations use 'coloured' to describe people who are not white but anyone who still uses this is automatically labelled a racist now.

Then 'black' was introduced despite this being frowned upon previously as 'brown' was used previously and now the polite or perhaps correct term now is 'people of colour', yet lots of people find it hard to differentiate between the original and current. I've got my head around this but plenty haven't.

Love or darling were widely used in my youth which are now frowned upon, as was holding a door open for anybody following you and yet I've heard of one instance of a bloke being abused by a woman for holding a door open for her as it demeaned her somehow. I can't recall the context of the last story so accept it may be an urban myth. 

All these changes in a lifetime, it can be difficult to keep up and there is certainly no total agreement over the

Maid is perfectly respectful but a lady on TV who hadn't come across this term before was about to let rip until another lady guest calmed her down and explained it wasn't intended as offensive. 

I find myself picking up devonian terms after 22yrs. I haven't used 'all right my lover' yet, but who knows for the future? 
  • Meanings of words have always changed and these problems have probably always existed.

Words like peasant, clown and senile once had "real" meanings and were not particularly offensive.

My father in law refuses to accept that he should not use the term "queer" but for some reason gets quite upset when he is referred to as senile (although he is in his eighties).
  • stonemuse said:
    JamesSeed said:
    The issue imo is TS apparently seeking to steamroll unnecessary change in the face of opposition, but the whole everyday terminology thing is a bit of a minefield to me. I’m not surprised some people are confused.

I’ve never understood why people state ‘genuine question’ after a question.  

Is it because they are worried it doesn’t sound like a question, or that it adds some kind of emphasis to the question. 

Genuine question.  

😉
    Well I guess some people ask the question when they already know the answer. I don’t in this instance. Genuine answer 😬
  • JamesSeed said:

Older generations use 'coloured' to describe people who are not white but anyone who still uses this is automatically labelled a racist now.

Then 'black' was introduced despite this being frowned upon previously as 'brown' was used previously and now the polite or perhaps correct term now is 'people of colour', yet lots of people find it hard to differentiate between the original and current. I've got my head around this but plenty haven't.

Love or darling were widely used in my youth which are now frowned upon, as was holding a door open for anybody following you and yet I've heard of one instance of a bloke being abused by a woman for holding a door open for her as it demeaned her somehow. I can't recall the context of the last story so accept it may be an urban myth. 

All these changes in a lifetime, it can be difficult to keep up and there is certainly no total agreement over the

Maid is perfectly respectful but a lady on TV who hadn't come across this term before was about to let rip until another lady guest calmed her down and explained it wasn't intended as offensive. 

I find myself picking up devonian terms after 22yrs. I haven't used 'all right my lover' yet, but who knows for the future? 
    Thanks TT. I must admit I called someone love the other day, for the first time in yonks (is it ok to say yonks, or is it too ‘posh’?), and it felt ok, until I woke up in hospital. 
  • JaShea99 said:
    Didn’t they used to be called Charlton Ladies years ago?
    They were first Bromley Borough, then Croydon Ladies, and I think Charlton Ladies                           But Karen Hills managed and played for about 3 teams all called Ladies including Tottenham, most teams changed to (Women) in 2019 not sure if it is deemed derogatory by some feminists or why.         Never even occurred to me or my Missus there are still 3 teams I know of called ladies Blackburn, Coventry  and one other it seems the name change it was agreed 6 months ago, I assume a lot of money already spent and Thomas has said it is going ahead.         They have been turned pro a new ground with better facilities.
  • Sponsored links:

• well I for one will be boycotting Royal Ascot from now on.
  • stonemuse said:
    JamesSeed said:

I’ve never understood why people state ‘genuine question’ after a question.  

Is it because they are worried it doesn’t sound like a question, or that it adds some kind of emphasis to the question. 

Genuine question.  

😉
    Because sometimes, on an Internet forum or even in a text or email, tone is difficult to read and there are many cases of people mistaking serious statements for being sarcastic or jokey and vice versa.
    Sometimes the tone of a discussion in general is also unclear, so adding “genuine question” clarifies that you’re not on a wind up, joking around or being sarcastic.

Genuine answer.
    😉

Jokes?  Sarcasm?  On an Internet forum?

Why, this opens up all sorts of possibilities ...
  • ‘Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
    Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
    What’s Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
    What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet;
    So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call’d,
    Retain that dear perfection which he owes
    Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
    And for that name which is no part of thee
    Take all myself.

Charlton Roses?
    I agree with AB. 

Yeah, he has a good point there.
  • bobmunro said:
    Pico said:
    This is the first time I have opened this thread and am amazed at the outcry at the use of the word 'ladies'.

Before reading this thread, I wouldn't have hesitated to refer to myself as a lady, but it seems that it is a term that is no longer acceptable.  I am astounded that such an inoffensive word has caused so much outcry. It is the first time that I have heard that it causes so many people so much offence .

It amazes me that people who are happy to use the word c**t, which as a woman I find very offensive, object to the word lady.

I need to have a word with my colleagues at work, as we all refer to each other as ladies when we use the chat function on Teams. 
    No-one is saying the word is unacceptable. You have decided to infer that so that you can be outraged. 

What is being said is that women have the right to ask to be referred to in terms that they find acceptable in the context they find themselves in and that their request should be respected. 

It may even be that our current team members are happy to be referred to as ladies in different contexts, but they have expressly stated they want the team name to remain Charlton Women. 

Your work colleagues make their choice of what is suitable among themselves. The women's team are doing the same. Why is that a problem to you?

I haven't chosen to be outraged, reading through this thread for the first time today I was amazed at the outrage from many on here about something so trivial.

The impression I got from a lot of the comments, was that the use of the word ladies is outdated and no longer acceptable.  I think that Charlton Ladies actually sounds much nicer than Charlton Women. 

But the Charlton Women's team don't.
    He said think Bob. See that's where it all goes wrong when they start getting involved in thinking ! 😂

Joking ofcourse above. Tbh I personally dont see what the fuss is about other than if the team dont like it then it shouldn't happen
  • edited December 2021
    Dave Rudd said:

‘Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
    Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
    What’s Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
    What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet;
    So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call’d,
    Retain that dear perfection which he owes
    Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
    And for that name which is no part of thee
    Take all myself.

Charlton Roses?

😉
  • thenewbie said:
    So what’s the next plan of action then?