Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Women to rebrand as "Charlton Ladies" - turned down by FA (p28)

Comments

• Options
    castrust said:
    Was there a poll of members ? 
  • Options
    Charlton Babes.  Obvs.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    castrust said:
    Why would one be necessary for that statement ?
    Majority of their members might not be against the change 
  • Options
    I personally don't give a shit either way. I support Charlton mens team. If I happen to see that the "Ladies" team won 10-0, my reaction is the same to them losing 10-0. I can't understand why people think you support the mens team, so therefore have some feeling towards the women's game. I find it annoying when the media keep intergrating it all under the same banner and injecting their news into the general mens football articles and this includes clubs doing it. I really enjoy listening to Charlton Live podcast, but every now and then they start banging on about the womens team and playing interviews of players and managers. It's not what their audience is there for. Let them have their own pod. I know I'll probably get slated for saying this, but I'll be shocked if even 5% of the users here bother following the girls game. To me, Women's football to a different sport that I have no interest in.............
    Spot on mate, agree entirely.
  • Options
    99.99% of Charlton supporters are supporters because of the men’s team.

No-one went down to the Oakwood to watch the women play against London City and fell in love with Charlton Athletic.

No-one listened to Charlton Live and decided they’d go and get a season ticket. 

I want the development sides to do well because I hope to see them one day make the men’s first team.

I personally don’t care if the women’s team win or lose 10-0 or if a podcast comes first or dead last at some awards. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did this come up at the Fans Forum last night? 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Did this come up at the Fans Forum last night? 
    Yes.

Wasn't there and only got a very brief update from @killerjerrylee but it was said that TS asked the team last season and they were happy but the current, much changed, squad aren't.

Seems a less hard-line stance from TS than previously indicated but that may just be my reading of it.
    I suppose that makes it a bit more difficult of a decision for him, one side were happy to change name and now just a season on the current side do not want the change. Hopefully he reads the room that the change is not required and makes no beneficial difference.
  • Options
    Hoping this will go away as it’s a distraction for the team (Charlton Women).

It is noticeable that Sky Sports refers to clubs by their generic name and just indicates that they are talking about Women’s football or the WSL etc. They do frequently describe Chelsea as the Lionesses but for others it’s just the club name.

The branding on the website lists the Women as such in the Teams section. If it did change (as some had spotted) perhaps it has been surreptitiously reversed.
  • Options
    This is the first time I have opened this thread and am amazed at the outcry at the use of the word 'ladies'.

Before reading this thread, I wouldn't have hesitated to refer to myself as a lady, but it seems that it is a term that is no longer acceptable.  I am astounded that such an inoffensive word has caused so much outcry. It is the first time that I have heard that it causes so many people so much offence .

It amazes me that people who are happy to use the word c**t, which as a woman I find very offensive, object to the word lady.

I need to have a word with my colleagues at work, as we all refer to each other as ladies when we use the chat function on Teams. 

Thing is, it doesn’t really matter if you or I are happy to refer to each other as lovely ladies (which we are 🤩). What matters is that the majority who play football prefer to use the term ‘women’ for any number of reasons that have been said.

So, as lovely ladies, we should stand by our fellow females & say, ‘I support you all the way!’.

Watching the first episode of the new Sex in the City was very topical in the current climate 🤣🤣 
  • Options

It is noticeable that Sky Sports refers to clubs by their generic name and just indicates that they are talking about Women’s football or the WSL etc. They do frequently describe Chelsea as the Lionesses but for others it’s just the club name.

The branding on the website lists the Women as such in the Teams section. If it did change (as some had spotted) perhaps it has been surreptitiously reversed.
    The menu still shows Ladies 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Other than people telling you it's bad, why is the term "ladies" now seen as bad?

I've always been confused about this and no one has ever given a clear answer, Google included.
    Years ago I had a GF who hated being called a lady.
    She was a woman, she said.

Up to that point, I'd always grown up thinking woman and lady were interchangeable terms. Not so.
    Why not ask the women that you know, what they think and want?
    Always cringe when someone refers to their partner/wife as 'my lady'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    A lot of men showing themselves up on this thread. You haven't got to understand why it's offensive, and it doesn't have to matter to you.
    This is absolutely true but by the same token, when there are things such as:

"Ladies and gentlemen"
    "Ladies first"
    He's a bit of a 'ladies man'
    Here in Dubai we have 'ladies nights' where they get free drinks.

Never once have i heard a female offended by those so it's not beyond the realms of impossibility for some people to wonder what all the fuss is about.

*runs for cover*

There you go :-)
  • Options
    This issue wont be over 'til the fat woman sings it seems   :)

• Options

Is there a Women’s section in the Museum?

What does this cover? What the history between 2000-2007 when we we disbanded the club? That history? Any pictures of supporters protesting at Greenwich Town Hall in 2007? How many references are there in Colin Cameron’s records or Tom Morris photographs?

Can’t recall seeing any of it on here.

How many shared experiences covering the Women’s game can you share?
    Happy to share the tale of Minnie Seed, Jimmy Seed's little sister who was one of the trailblazers of women's football during WW1 @Grapevine49. Like Jimmy she payed for England in some early International matches.

https://jamesseed.blogspot.com/2020/12/the-myste@Grapevine49 -minnie-seed.html

Of course it was called ladies football back then, but bear in mind they banned women from playing at Football League ground partly because they thought it was unseemly and they were worried the ladies might damage their fragile bodies. Well, they were the excuses they gave at that time.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    castrust said:
    Do we have a poll every time the elected government makes a decision? Nope. We elect them to make decisions on our behalf.
  • Options

when you look at the fixtures on the website it shows Women changes to Ladies when you click on the tab.
  • Options
    This issue wont be over 'til the fat woman sings it seems   :)

Come to The Oakwood and see a very fit team without an ounce of fat (except on the great burgers served inside the ground).
  • Options
    I personally don't give a shit either way. I support Charlton mens team. If I happen to see that the "Ladies" team won 10-0, my reaction is the same to them losing 10-0. I can't understand why people think you support the mens team, so therefore have some feeling towards the women's game. I find it annoying when the media keep intergrating it all under the same banner and injecting their news into the general mens football articles and this includes clubs doing it. I really enjoy listening to Charlton Live podcast, but every now and then they start banging on about the womens team and playing interviews of players and managers. It's not what their audience is there for. Let them have their own pod. I know I'll probably get slated for saying this, but I'll be shocked if even 5% of the users here bother following the girls game. To me, Women's football to a different sport that I have no interest in.............
    Spot on mate, agree entirely.
    Women's football is in a relatively early stage of its development, but even so, some of the football we've seen over the last few years has been pretty entertaining, especially at international level. Do I get as excited about the women's team as I do about the men's team? No, clearly not, but who's to say that in 10, 20 or 50 years time they aren't attracting a lot more of a following than they are now. I'd certainly go to some games even now, if I lived closer.