Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Women to rebrand as "Charlton Ladies" - turned down by FA (p28)

Comments

• Options
    This is so funny.

Equally funny is the debates on twitter between people calling out 'lefties and feminists', their responses, and the stupid-ness to change it in the first place. 

• Options
    Croydon said:
    A lot of men showing themselves up on this thread. You haven't got to understand why it's offensive, and it doesn't have to matter to you.
    This is absolutely true but by the same token, when there are things such as:

"Ladies and gentlemen"
    "Ladies first"
    He's a bit of a 'ladies man'
    Here in Dubai we have 'ladies nights' where they get free drinks.

Never once have i heard a female offended by those so it's not beyond the realms of impossibility for some people to wonder what all the fuss is about.

*runs for cover*

Closed minded much? 

I'll say it again. Setting and situation is important to the language used. A term can be deemed correct in a formal setting but offensive in a more professional one.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    thenewbie said:
    Croydon said:
    A lot of men showing themselves up on this thread. You haven't got to understand why it's offensive, and it doesn't have to matter to you.

"Ladies and gentlemen"
    "Ladies first"

Never once have a heard a female offended by those so it's not beyond the realms of impossibility for some people to wonder what all the fuss is about.

*runs for cover*

True. I think that asking if/why this particular instance is upsetting is fair... BUT by the same token, having had multiple confirmations that it IS should really be the end of it. 
     Not sure I agree. Just saying "because it is", is like saying "Sandgaard can change the name", just because he can. 

Without knowing the reasoning both can seem a bit strange. 
    Its been explained about 20 times on this thread mate. If you haven't got it now i suspect its because you dont want to get it

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    I opened this thread due to curiosity, every few messages are interspersed with an advertisement for Boux Avenue women’s brassiers and keks.
    That's possibly linked to your other browsing!
    I always used to think that, but someone had a thread about chimney lining, and  the ad I got embedded in that was for local (Massachusetts) chimney repairers. As I don’t have a chimney, it wasn’t from any past browsing. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    thenewbie said:
    Croydon said:

"Ladies and gentlemen"
    "Ladies first"

Never once have a heard a female offended by those so it's not beyond the realms of impossibility for some people to wonder what all the fuss is about.

*runs for cover*

True. I think that asking if/why this particular instance is upsetting is fair... BUT by the same token, having had multiple confirmations that it IS should really be the end of it. 
     Not sure I agree. Just saying "because it is", is like saying "Sandgaard can change the name", just because he can. 

Its been explained about 20 times on this thread mate. If you haven't got it now i suspect its because you dont want to get it

Dazzler understands it, hes just saying you cant just say "because we said so" and expect people to accept/understand it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    castrust said:
    Not a fine time to make a change 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    I opened this thread due to curiosity, every few messages are interspersed with an advertisement for Boux Avenue women’s brassiers and keks.
    That's possibly linked to your other browsing!
    I always used to think that, but someone had a thread about chimney lining, and  the ad I got embedded in that was for local (Massachusetts) chimney repairers. As I don’t have a chimney, it wasn’t from any past browsing. 
    You don't need a chimney to Google 'Chimney Lining'

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, no what I mean  ;)
  • Options
    Such a weird hill for TS to die on, heres hoping he see's sense and changes his mind as a result of the backlash. 
  • Options
    I really dont give a toss either way, but you have to question, what is the point? Just ask the team, if they say yes, go ahead, if they say they dont like it, move on. It hardly makes them more marketable and is obviously going to piss some people off, see no reason at all to change it
  • Options
    I may be wrong but I have a sneaky felling in my water that Mrs TS may be having some input on this.
  • Options
    I may be wrong but I have a sneaky felling in my water that Mrs TS may be having some input on this.
    You can get an idea of Raelynn’s view by looking at the Tweets she likes - ones that use the term ‘ladies’.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    castrust said:

Broadly agree with the sentiment, but this did make me laugh:

"The term "ladylike" is used to describe behaviour that is considered appropriate for women, with connotations of politeness, deference and having lunch. It might be appropriate in some contexts but it is broadly patronising. It isn't associated with rolling up sleeves and working or being taken seriously in a professional environment. And it certainly doesn't include kicking a muddy football about."

Do feminist women only eat breakfast and dinner?
    “Ladies who lunch” …
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    thenewbie said:
    Croydon said:

"Ladies and gentlemen"
    "Ladies first"

*runs for cover*

It wasn't explained WHY it was explained several times at the time of that post that it was offensive but the WHY was not.

We have covered that off now and I get it a lot more than I did.

Cafcdave123 has explained where my point was.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Has anyone considered if Thomas bought the women's team as a gift for Raelynn?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    I reckon TS has written a song for the women's team and can't find a word to rhyme with "women" so is changing it on that basis
    'Ladies' rhymes with 'Hades' and half rhymes with 'Scabies'. Looking forward to the lyrics.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    I reckon TS has written a song for the women's team and can't find a word to rhyme with "women" so is changing it on that basis
    'Ladies' rhymes with 'Hades' and half rhymes with 'Scabies'. Looking forward to the lyrics.
    Gimme, gimme, gimme the honky tonk blues any day.