Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Women to rebrand as "Charlton Ladies" - turned down by FA (p28)

Comments

• Options
    It’s irrelevant to me I’m only interested in the fortunes of the Charlton Gentlemen
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    This decision will be reversed.
    What makes you say that @bobmunro ?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    From a PR viewpoint it's a backward move - if the rebranding decision is true I can't see any reason for it.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    The noise it is generating and will continue to generate will convince TS that it is a battle not worth fighting, and taken an entrenched position will be seen by him to be harmful with no meaningful benefit. Of course, it's a battle he should never have engaged in the first place.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    This makes no sense to me at all.

One of the big things he did when coming in was relaunch the ‘Womens’ Team.
    Why on earth would he now want to rebrand it as ‘Ladies’?
    Mad.

And for men who keep asking what difference it makes? It’s not up to you because you’re not female, sorry but that’s the plain truth of it.

At the end of the day, if the girls who play for the team that’s branded under ‘Charlton’ don’t want it to be changed because it isn’t appropriate, then don’t fecking change it, end of discussion.
    Do the women want to be referred to as girls?
    From what I’m hearing definitely not 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    This was brewing last week on Twitter and I was befuddled then.  I am befuddled now.
    im not entirely sure what the issue is between using ladies instead of women or vice versa.

having said that it has certainlyProvoked a reaction so it might have been better asking the question as opposed to just doing it

In which case, he should have left it as Charlton Women, which is what the team want to be known as.
  • Options
    I personally don't give a shit either way. I support Charlton mens team. If I happen to see that the "Ladies" team won 10-0, my reaction is the same to them losing 10-0. I can't understand why people think you support the mens team, so therefore have some feeling towards the women's game. I find it annoying when the media keep intergrating it all under the same banner and injecting their news into the general mens football articles and this includes clubs doing it. I really enjoy listening to Charlton Live podcast, but every now and then they start banging on about the womens team and playing interviews of players and managers. It's not what their audience is there for. Let them have their own pod. I know I'll probably get slated for saying this, but I'll be shocked if even 5% of the users here bother following the girls game. To me, Women's football to a different sport that I have no interest in.............
    So why comment on this then?
    Eejit. 🙄

Because we're discussing it on a Charlton Forum which is for the mens team where we all give out opinion and this is mine.
    Funny, cos I’m pretty damn sure there’s a thread on here about wrestling.
    This has feck all to do with Charlton, I’m not the slightest bit interested in watching grown adults ‘pretend’ to fight, therefore I don’t fecking post/comment on it.

Pretty easy really 🤷‍♀️
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This makes no sense to me at all.

One of the big things he did when coming in was relaunch the ‘Womens’ Team.
    Why on earth would he now want to rebrand it as ‘Ladies’?
    Mad.

And for men who keep asking what difference it makes? It’s not up to you because you’re not female, sorry but that’s the plain truth of it.

At the end of the day, if the girls who play for the team that’s branded under ‘Charlton’ don’t want it to be changed because it isn’t appropriate, then don’t fecking change it, end of discussion.
    So presumably women should have no opinion on the men’s team either, because you know, you’re not male....?
    No, the discussion about what’s the difference between ‘ladies/women’.
    That’s the point I’m making.
    If the overall majority of the women don’t want the change, the men should accept it. That goes for the owner, employees, supporters alike.
    Completely agree with you - a bizarre decision. For a club lauded for its community work and inclusiveness it just looks out of touch with 2021.

Language matters.
  • Options
    I’d honestly like to know why he wants to change it?
    And if I see him Saturday I’m going to ask him.

If I were allowed to play back in the day it really wouldn’t have bothered me what the team name was, I was that desperate just to play. But we’ve moved on, so even I have to concede it clearly matters more to the current generation.

A boss I now consider my best mate once gave me a very good piece of advice.

Choose your battles.

I’m truly at a loss as to the logic of this decision 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    I’d honestly like to know why he wants to change it?
    And if I see him Saturday I’m going to ask him.

If I were allowed to play back in the day it really wouldn’t have bothered me what the team name was, I was that desperate just to play. But we’ve moved on, so even I have to concede it clearly matters more to the current generation.

A boss I now consider my best mate once gave me a very good piece of advice.

Choose your battles.

I’m truly at a loss as to the logic of this decision 🤷‍♀️
    There is no logic and it's bad PR for the club.
  • Options
    on 'Girls' this is one that I've seen the research on when I was at Sport England, and This Girl Can was being put together, and it was only once the focus groups and market testing with women was done, that 'Girls' stayed in, and was seen as ok, and an acceptable term for women to describe themselves and group activities. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Other than people telling you it's bad, why is the term "ladies" now seen as bad?

I've always been confused about this and no one has ever given a clear answer, Google included.
    Years ago I had a GF who hated being called a lady.
    She was a woman, she said.

Up to that point, I'd always grown up thinking woman and lady were interchangeable terms. Not so.
    Why not ask the women that you know, what they think and want?

• Options
    Can only echo what others have said in that this makes no sense. I don't follow the women's game but if the players themselves want the name to remain as "women" then you just respect that don't you? All very odd. 
  • Options
    I'd been living outside the UK for 18 years and the controversy is baffling to me.

There are obviously aspects of modern UK life that I'm yet to come to terms with as I have no idea what the problem is!
    Language changes over time and you need to be in touch with that.

A lot of women I know have disliked the use of ladies since back in the 70s.
  • Options
    I get similarly incensed every time I see a toilet door with Gents rather than Men written on it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Rothko said:
    on 'Girls' this is one that I've seen the research on when I was at Sport England, and This Girl Can was being put together, and it was only once the focus groups and market testing with women was done, that 'Girls' stayed in, and was seen as ok, and an acceptable term for women to describe themselves and group activities. 
    That’s very interesting.
    That particular campaign I feel no connection with because it seems to be aimed at a younger audience.
    Maybe that’s another reason why ‘women’ is better?
    More all encompassing?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    That’s very interesting.
    That particular campaign I feel no connection with because it seems to be aimed at a younger audience.
    Maybe that’s another reason why ‘women’ is better?
    More all encompassing?
    It was seen as ok right through the age groups, and was particularly ok with women in what was described as the 'Mumsnet' group, which was the main target audience (30-45). 
  • Options
    Boom said:
    I'm not gonna get into the ins and outs of what is the right or wrong word to use and what is offensive in what context and what isn't because its not my place.

What is very telling is that almost every club that was using ladies has at some point in the last 15 years moved to using women. A few remain using ladies. Not a single club has moved from using women to ladies. 

That in itself shows this would be a significant backwards step.

I'm very grateful to TS for getting the women's club back under the same umbrella as the men's. It's a big part of making us feel like a proper club again. Likewise making the women team professional is huge. But get that ego in check. 
    14 of the 22 teams playing in the ‘Women’ FA cup on Sunday were ladies. The bigger teams are defo mainly women though.
    Only a handful still use ladies in the top 2 leagues. Lower down there are more.

My point was about direction of travel. Many have gone from ladies to women, none have gone the other way. Its significant.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    A lot of men showing themselves up on this thread. You haven't got to understand why it's offensive, and it doesn't have to matter to you.
    Would be interesting to know if any of the women's team or management/coaching staff would favour the change or if they have been consulted?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I get similarly incensed every time I see a toilet door with Gents rather than Men written on it. 
    I dont mind ladies and gents written on toilet doors at all.  I'd be a bit baffled if people were but i should assume people might mind it.  
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Who cares?

Funny when people moan about his awful song they are told "It's his club" but now something equally as trivial happens, he should have sought the opinion of others.

There's loads of things in my workplace that I don't want to happen but have happened anyway and vice versa, that's life.

That said, it seems pointless and has just brought avoidable bad PR from the offended by everything brigade.
  • Options
    Belv said:
    Who cares?

Funny when people moan about his awful song they are told "It's his club" but now something equally as trivial happens, he should have sought the opinion of others.

There's loads of things in my workplace that I don't want to happen but have happened anyway and vice versa, that's life.

That said, it seems pointless and has just brought avoidable bad PR from the offended by everything brigade.
    People obviously do care so why not consult them - it's lazy and arrogant not to. Charlton is a club which is part of the wider community and not simply a business.

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Not sure if anyone has asked this yet, but what exactly is the gain from rebranding as 'ladies' that would cause TS to do this?
    I've heard that his accent caused the problem and they are actually going to be called Charlton Lassies and be sponsored by a dog food company.