Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Women to rebrand as "Charlton Ladies" - turned down by FA (p28)

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Still not getting why ladies is offensive.

Gentlemen certainly isn't.
    If someone started calling you Dazzler22 and you said to them "please, it's Dazzler21" but they insisted on carrying on, would you be annoyed?

Yes it's perhaps not 'offensive' to the extent of racism or homophobia but at the very least, to go against someone's clearly stated wishes is a bit of a dickhead move don't you think? In my eyes, it's all about being courteous and a good person.

I'm not a woman and can't speak for women so if they feel more strongly about it than I portray above, I'm sure I'll get pulled up on my analogy but I'm trying to reason man-to-man here. At the very least, we can be considerate people.

Good analogy - I get seriously pissed off when people put an 'e' at the end of my name!
  • Options
    Pico said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Curb_It said:
    Dazzler21 said:

But it isn’t known as the gentleman’s team is it? When have you known it as that? 

A very weird move by him. Completely unnecessary.
    But the team was Charlton Ladies team before the club disbanded it.

It was then reformed as Charlton Women's team wasn't it?

To move it back to Ladies probably in Sandgaard's head brings it back under the umbrella as it once was.

(I am fairly certain that's how it became the Women's team).
    Dazzler / AFKA etc  - just think about the word "ladylike" and all the restrictive connotations it carries about what a woman should or shouldn't do. When women's football was banned by the FA in 1921 might it have been because it wasn't considered ladylike ?

Language matters, quite apart from the fact that the current women's team have expressed a clear desire to continue to be referred to as women
    If it is a majority desire then I feel Sandgaard would be a fool to ignore. That would of course be unacceptable. Do we know this to be true though?
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Surely the point of making a change, of any kind, in business, is to make an improvement.

I’m really failing to see what the benefit of this change is, and indeed how it isn’t obvious that it would get negative publicity.

I’ve defended Sandgaard on practically everything to date, but I can’t get my head round this.

Partly and in most cases yes - but brand changes can be and often are an act of faith in that recognition of the brand will be improved.

Doesn't always work, of course - how many times have BA changed their livery??
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    The desperation for some Charlton fans to paint Sandgaard as a bad guy all the time for every decision he makes is beyond weird.

Not just on here on all forms of Social Media. Always seems to be the same few.

Sandgaard will make the right choice again... People will back down.
    He’s allowed to be criticised. 
    Of course he is, but the same people criticise every single move he makes. 

Whether it's free tickets,
    a song at the end of a game,
    hiring a manager,
    hiring a director,
    playing a song prior to a game,
    sacking a manager,
    Not sacking a senior member of staff,
    not buying a CB,
    not hiring a CEO,
    not pumping his entire wealth into signings,
     signing Washington and Gilbey,
    using the black box,
    giving Jacko a run of games before appointment,
    Not buying SL & The Valley when buying the club,
    Only putting in £10m a year,
     etc...

The list goes on and now it's admittedly a unique and unneeded decision to rename any part of the club, but people immediately jump on the "it's his ego" bandwagon.
    Nonsense

I don't criticise everything he does but he has got this massively wrong.

There is no benefit to the change.

His reasoning is he owns the women's club so can call it what he likes.

That just demonstrates how poor his argument is as he can't give a rational reason for the change.

And anyone saying "who cares what they are called?" I give you "The South London Chargers".
     See that's a good argument I will agree you have been more balanced than most. That does sound very worrying if that is his only argument. 

I care that they are named akin to the main club. I would not want them to assume a name with no relation to the club. South East London Reds or as per Budweiser's old ad campaign 'Charlton Chargers'

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    cafctom said:
    Surely the point of making a change, of any kind, in business, is to make an improvement.

I’m really failing to see what the benefit of this change is, and indeed how it isn’t obvious that it would get negative publicity.

I’ve defended Sandgaard on practically everything to date, but I can’t get my head round this.

Partly and in most cases yes - but brand changes can be and often are an act of faith in that recognition of the brand will be improved.

Doesn't always work, of course - how many times have BA changed their livery??

He used to be called Mr T and Clubber Lang for starters

Precisely.
  • Options
    Expected better from TS, didn’t see him changing things like names, kits, colours etc.

What’s next, Jackson being replaced by a “big name” who likes playing 4-3-3?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Dazzler21 said:

If someone started calling you Dazzler22 and you said to them "please, it's Dazzler21" but they insisted on carrying on, would you be annoyed?

Yes it's perhaps not 'offensive' to the extent of racism or homophobia but at the very least, to go against someone's clearly stated wishes is a bit of a dickhead move don't you think? In my eyes, it's all about being courteous and a good person.

I'm not a woman and can't speak for women so if they feel more strongly about it than I portray above, I'm sure I'll get pulled up on my analogy but I'm trying to reason man-to-man here. At the very least, we can be considerate people.

Good analogy - I get seriously pissed off when people put an 'e' at the end of my name!
    Apologies Bobe 

I'll line them up - you hit the net!
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    The desperation for some Charlton fans to paint Sandgaard as a bad guy all the time for every decision he makes is beyond weird.

Not just on here on all forms of Social Media. Always seems to be the same few.

Sandgaard will make the right choice again... People will back down.
    He’s allowed to be criticised. 
    Of course he is, but the same people criticise every single move he makes. 

Whether it's free tickets,
    a song at the end of a game,
    hiring a manager,
    hiring a director,
    playing a song prior to a game,
    sacking a manager,
    Not sacking a senior member of staff,
    not buying a CB,
    not hiring a CEO,
    not pumping his entire wealth into signings,
     signing Washington and Gilbey,
    using the black box,
    giving Jacko a run of games before appointment,
    Not buying SL & The Valley when buying the club,
    Only putting in £10m a year,
     etc...

The list goes on and now it's admittedly a unique and unneeded decision to rename any part of the club, but people immediately jump on the "it's his ego" bandwagon.
    Nonsense

I don't criticise everything he does but he has got this massively wrong.

There is no benefit to the change.

His reasoning is he owns the women's club so can call it what he likes.

That just demonstrates how poor his argument is as he can't give a rational reason for the change.

And anyone saying "who cares what they are called?" I give you "The South London Chargers".
     See that's a good argument I will agree you have been more balanced than most. That does sound very worrying if that is his only argument. 

I care that they are named akin to the main club. I would not want them to assume a name with no relation to the club. South East London Reds or as per Budweiser's old ad campaign 'Charlton Chargers'

Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Is ladies more commonplace in American teams?
    Nope.

They seem to do something far more sensible.

They have a team that plays in the Women's league called Kansas City F.C and a team in the Men's league called Kansas City F.C

Would our women's team prefer to just be Charlton Athletic Football Club?
    No, you're missing the point @dazzler21

South London Chargers is the new name of the MEN'S team.

But it's his club so he can do what he likes and who cares about a name?
  • Options
    It'd be an ironic name given the lack of charging we've been doing for tickets of late.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Expected better from TS, didn’t see him changing things like names, kits, colours etc.

What’s next, Jackson being replaced by a “big name” who likes playing 4-3-3?
    This is my concern
  • Options
    I personally don't give a shit either way. I support Charlton mens team. If I happen to see that the "Ladies" team won 10-0, my reaction is the same to them losing 10-0. I can't understand why people think you support the mens team, so therefore have some feeling towards the women's game. I find it annoying when the media keep intergrating it all under the same banner and injecting their news into the general mens football articles and this includes clubs doing it. I really enjoy listening to Charlton Live podcast, but every now and then they start banging on about the womens team and playing interviews of players and managers. It's not what their audience is there for. Let them have their own pod. I know I'll probably get slated for saying this, but I'll be shocked if even 5% of the users here bother following the girls game. To me, Women's football to a different sport that I have no interest in.............

No slating from me - good luck to them but they are not the team I support.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    I personally don't give a shit either way. I support Charlton mens team. If I happen to see that the "Ladies" team won 10-0, my reaction is the same to them losing 10-0. I can't understand why people think you support the mens team, so therefore have some feeling towards the women's game. I find it annoying when the media keep intergrating it all under the same banner and injecting their news into the general mens football articles and this includes clubs doing it. I really enjoy listening to Charlton Live podcast, but every now and then they start banging on about the womens team and playing interviews of players and managers. It's not what their audience is there for. Let them have their own pod. I know I'll probably get slated for saying this, but I'll be shocked if even 5% of the users here bother following the girls game. To me, Women's football to a different sport that I have no interest in.............
    So why comment on this then?
    Eejit. 🙄

Because we're discussing it on a Charlton Forum which is for the mens team where we all give out opinion and this is mine.
  • Options
    Someone in that board room needs to be able to stand up in the meeting and just say no. 
    Isn't he in the boardroom on his own ? ................ oh & his son who'll do as he's told.
  • Options
    Should have gone continental 
    Charlton Feminines has a certain ring to it 

• Options
    This makes no sense to me at all.

One of the big things he did when coming in was relaunch the ‘Womens’ Team.
    Why on earth would he now want to rebrand it as ‘Ladies’?
    Mad.

And for men who keep asking what difference it makes? It’s not up to you because you’re not female, sorry but that’s the plain truth of it.

At the end of the day, if the girls who play for the team that’s branded under ‘Charlton’ don’t want it to be changed because it isn’t appropriate, then don’t fecking change it, end of discussion.
    Do the women want to be referred to as girls?
  • Options
    Or just call them Charlton Athletic 

no one is gonna confuse the two products. 
  • Options
    This so bizarre. Changing the team name to Ladies will not have 1 positive outcome but tons of negative ones. Seems a totally pointless move