Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Women to rebrand as "Charlton Ladies" - turned down by FA (p28)

Comments

• Options
    Rothko said:
    So are all the top sides called ‘ladies’

Im struggling to get my head wrapped around even the consideration to do this.
    Can’t think of anyone in WSL or Championship that still uses Ladies 
    Watford 
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Sunderland, Blackburn, Coventry
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Watford 
    From the articles

Manchester City started the trend in 2014 when they rebranded as ‘women’ and scores of football clubs followed suit. All teams in the women’s top-flight now go by ‘women’ although Blackburn, Coventry and Sunderland are the three clubs in the semi-professional Women’s Championship that still use the term ‘ladies’.

• Options
    Are we being asked to believe this is an autocratic decision with no heed being given to those who preferred and explained a preference to the term women?

Given his investment and apparent involvement it seems odd this would be true

If true there is presumably some rationale for the adopting the Ladies title instead. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

Watford 
    From the articles

Manchester City started the trend in 2014 when they rebranded as ‘women’ and scores of football clubs followed suit. All teams in the women’s top-flight now go by ‘women’ although Blackburn, Coventry and Sunderland are the three clubs in the semi-professional Women’s Championship that still use the term ‘ladies’.

Watford's Google and Wiki page is bloody confusing then.
  • Options
    Is there actually anything in this story?

surely people would have come out and said either way, and would have been announced on the OS?

how likely is it that, due to TS tweeting ‘ladies’ a few times (and the few replies he had got complaining of the language) is at fault here
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    sammy391 said:

surely people would have come out and said either way, and would have been announced on the OS?

how likely is it that, due to TS tweeting ‘ladies’ a few times (and the few replies he had got complaining of the language) is at fault here
    No smoke without fire sounds likely though. 

Unless the journalist is making it all up (very unlikely), it means someone must have gone to them, for it to be reported in the first place. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    This was brewing last week on Twitter and I was befuddled then.  I am befuddled now.
    im not entirely sure what the issue is between using ladies instead of women or vice versa.

having said that it has certainlyProvoked a reaction so it might have been better asking the question as opposed to just doing it

To members of the ladies womens team I would suggest.

• Options
    It seems so bizarre I think we should hold off until we hear some sort of explanation. Very peculiar.
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

The website was changed to ladies 
  • Options
    Language and it's interpretation changes. 'Ladies' sounds wrong. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    sammy391 said:

Which website? The mens site always said ladies I think
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Language and it's interpretation changes. 'Ladies' sounds wrong. 
    So can we expect all golf clubs to drop ladies sections and call them womens sections 🤔
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Swisdom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    sammy391 said:

Which website? The main site always said ladies I think
    Yeah not sure it ever changed. Changed your post too. Just incase people go all P.C and complain that you're calling all our players "men".
  • Options

I’m wondering if this is a journalist just picking up the “story” from Twitter last week and embellishing a bit.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sammy391 said:

Zero.
    There ya go. Too bizarre.
  • Options
    And if it is true, why bother? Is it in the list of the top 100 things that need attention at CAFC? 
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

it has been reported by Louis Mendez, who says it been known for a while and @Swisdom who has obvious connections to the club is also aware of it.

I suspect its been given to the Telegraph in an attempt to show TS that it is a bad, bad idea with no upside.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    sammy391 said:

Which website? The mens site always said ladies I think
    It hasn't - archived site from October 19th shows it said Women's Team
    https://web.archive.org/web/20211019214622/https://www.cafc.co.uk/home

Thanks
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

Zero.
    So what’s the point of the story in your opinion?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Still not getting why ladies is offensive.

Gentlemen certainly isn't.
    Already been explained to you.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Other than people telling you it's bad, why is the term "ladies" now seen as bad?

I've always been confused about this and no one has ever given a clear answer, Google included.
    Likewise, I've always compared the term "Ladies" with "Gentlemen"

Have always thought "woman" sounded worse

But it's men's football not gentlemen's football.
    It's the gentleman's game.