Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Women to rebrand as "Charlton Ladies" - turned down by FA (p28)

Comments

• Options
    sammy391 said:
    Is there actually anything in this story?

surely people would have come out and said either way, and would have been announced on the OS?

how likely is it that, due to TS tweeting ‘ladies’ a few times (and the few replies he had got complaining of the language) is at fault here
    Zero.
    So what’s the point of the story in your opinion?
    Probably because the change has happened (see website) or is happening and the actual team disagree so the story has been leaked 
  • Options
    But why is "Ladies" offensive?!
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I think in modern speak the term lady may be viewed as elitist, racist, derisory and sexist.  

The connotations of Lords and Ladies (probably white) are where he worked, she stayed at home and they both held status above the workers.  It does in the least sound a bit archaic. 

Besides, women want to be called women - let's not argue - it ain't worth it.  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Curb_It said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Still not getting why ladies is offensive.

Gentlemen certainly isn't.
    But it isn’t known as the gentleman’s team is it? When have you known it as that? 

A very weird move by him. Completely unnecessary.
    But the team was Charlton Ladies team before the club disbanded it wasn't it?

It was then reformed as Charlton Women's team wasn't it?

To move it back to Ladies probably in Sandgaard's head brings it back under the umbrella as it once was.

(I am fairly certain that's how it became the Women's team but could be mis-remembering).

P.s it's still the "Womens" team here:
    https://cafcwomen.co.uk/first-team/
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

You and me both.
  • Options
    Bizarre, unnecessary, unwanted
  • Options
    Something that could be quickly cleared up at the Fans Forum tomorrow?
  • Options
    Now clear it was brewing a while, last week there was a bit of coordinated resistance being put out after I suspect an earlier stage of TS failing to ‘read the room’ from those involved with the team. 

The leaked attempt to create a bit of social media noise (which it clearly did) I guess fell on deaf ears in terms of reconsideration by TS. 

Personally I think it’s a bit much ado about nothing, but then again i’m not a women. The desire by TS to ignore what seems the clear preference of those close to is more the bigger concern to me. 
    Absolute hit the nail on the head for me.  I remember talking to Steve Adamson a couple of years ago and I asked why “women” as opposed to “ladies” and he explained how it was regarded a somewhat dated term and it was important to the women.  I didn’t push it as I genuinely didn’t, and still don’t see the difference.
     it does strike me as an owner not fussed about upsetting the status quo however I personally think it’s a bit misguided on this occasion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    But why is "Ladies" offensive?!
    Because it’s outdated and archaic and the women’s team have asked not to be called that. But I suppose a middle-aged man knows better. 
    Is it..?,I’ve never heard a speech start with Woman & Gentleman before…🤔,anyways if the Woman’s team don’t like it I agree with them it shouldn’t be changed…
  • Options
    Pico said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Curb_It said:
    Dazzler21 said:

But it isn’t known as the gentleman’s team is it? When have you known it as that? 

But the team was Charlton Ladies team before the club disbanded it.

To move it back to Ladies probably in Sandgaard's head brings it back under the umbrella as it once was.

(I am fairly certain that's how it became the Women's team).
    Dazzler / AFKA etc  - just think about the word "ladylike" and all the restrictive connotations it carries about what a woman should or shouldn't do. When women's football was banned by the FA in 1921 might it have been because it wasn't considered ladylike ?

Language matters, quite apart from the fact that the current women's team have expressed a clear desire to continue to be referred to as women
    By the same token, isn’t “men” an abbreviation of gentlemen? Because there are connotations with that term and they certainly don’t apply to the majority of footballers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The suggestion that TS does not listen to feedback on this but goes ahead with his ideas is worrying. He is not a football person knows little about our industry in this country so I wonder how he recruiting NAs replacement.
    It sounds a little Belgium to me
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Curb_It said:
    Dazzler21 said:

(I am fairly certain that's how it became the Women's team but could be mis-remembering).

Charlton Ladies was not disbanded by the club because it was not controlled by the club. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Very irritated my suggestions for renaming the woman's team have been ignored.

The Randy Robins, Harvey Lady Gardens FC and the Floyd Road Floozies are all solid, imaginative and respectful names.

Someone needs to tell the 'Danish Danger' that it's not the 1980's anymore.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    The desperation for some Charlton fans to paint Sandgaard as a bad guy all the time for every decision he makes is beyond weird.

Not just on here on all forms of Social Media. Always seems to be the same few.

Sandgaard will make the right choice again... People will back down.
    He’s allowed to be criticised. 
    Of course he is, but the same people criticise every single move he makes. 

Whether it's free tickets, a song at the end of a game, hiring a manager, hiring a director, playing a song prior to a game, sacking a manager, not buying a CB, not hiring a CEO, not pumping his entire wealth into signings, signing Washington and Gilbey, using the black box, giving Jacko a run of games before appointment etc... The list goes on.
    Looks to me like you’re conflating multiple different things. I don’t really get your stance on this one tbh 
    My stance has shifted as the threads gone on with how people dig at the owner at every opportunity. We've seen him reverse/alter decisions several times already when steered to.

People still immediately assume the worst in him.

My actual stance was simply not understanding the issue. Swisdom has given the best answer. I accept that he was told by an important figure that the women's team didn't want to be referred to as ladies anymore.

That's fine. That's that bit done

Curb_It said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Curb_It said:
    Dazzler21 said:

But the team was Charlton Ladies team before the club disbanded it.

Who gives a shit about what it was called years ago, before we bought Croydon, disbanded etc etc. The team is Charlton Women’s team. 

Honestly… I very much doubt Sandgaard is changing the name because that’s what they were called years ago. Rubbish. 

Lots of big men been mouthing off on Twitter the last few days when a woman raised the subject. “Who cares what they’re called”, “stop crying, grow up”… on and on. Well the team care very much and that, to me, is the most important part of this story. They don’t want it! 
     Honestly I saw nothing of this before this thread. 

I'm not going to assume Sandgaard's an arsehole just because he's a middle aged white man. Yet you assume that there's some alterior motive behind it? What's your theory then?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Curb_It said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Charlton Ladies was not disbanded by the club because it was not controlled by the club. 
    Apologies if true, hence the misremembering bit.
  • Options
    Well to be blunt how many of those with the club will still be here in 5yrs? Who owns the brand?

That said it seems a very odd direction of travel.

If I read anything into it, I can see it as one of 3 messages in respecting club roots, or women’s football roots at the time of being banned in 1921 or a marketing brain fart likely coming from a US branding issue trying to differentiate/ take the brand outside of a set largely saturated « women’s sport » sponsorship bubble with an elite « ladies » label.

Remember TS had a career in global marketing.

I am certainly no expert on women but for all the equality of being treated as a women there is always the moment that many like to be treated as a lady.

In terms of linking to marketing it still seems a stretch because the US industry brand and European industry brand is most assuredly women. 

I am more disquieted by the idea he would not have at least briefed the coaches and players he was considering such an initiative before registering such changes.

In principle I have no problem with idiosyncratic thinking but there is most certainly a time for pure common sense. The whole usage of the terms lady, ladies and women has not been a stone you want to turn for nigh on 40yrs, unless there is a burning issue.

I don’t see it but if there is a compelling business driver I am all ears.

• Options
    Is ladies more commonplace in American teams?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Curb_It said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Apologies if true, hence the misremembering bit.
    There is a lot of misinformation about what happened with the original team (not post 2007).