Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Women to rebrand as "Charlton Ladies" - turned down by FA (p28)

Comments

• Options
    I may be wrong but I have a sneaky felling in my water that Mrs TS may be having some input on this.
    You can get an idea of Raelynn’s view by looking at the Tweets she likes - ones that use the term ‘ladies’.
    Hell will freeze over before I join Twitter so I will take your word for it.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Other than people telling you it's bad, why is the term "ladies" now seen as bad?

I've always been confused about this and no one has ever given a clear answer, Google included.
    Years ago I had a GF who hated being called a lady.
    She was a woman, she said.

Up to that point, I'd always grown up thinking woman and lady were interchangeable terms. Not so.
    Why not ask the women that you know, what they think and want?
    Always cringe when someone refers to their partner/wife as 'my lady'.
    It's better than SWMBO or significant other!!

I tend to use the term 'this is my wife [name] with wife usually prefixed with 'beautiful' if I'm after brownie points. 
  • Options
    Pico said:
    This is the first time I have opened this thread and am amazed at the outcry at the use of the word 'ladies'.

Before reading this thread, I wouldn't have hesitated to refer to myself as a lady, but it seems that it is a term that is no longer acceptable.  I am astounded that such an inoffensive word has caused so much outcry. It is the first time that I have heard that it causes so many people so much offence .

It amazes me that people who are happy to use the word c**t, which as a woman I find very offensive, object to the word lady.

I need to have a word with my colleagues at work, as we all refer to each other as ladies when we use the chat function on Teams. 
    No-one is saying the word is unacceptable. You have decided to infer that so that you can be outraged. 

What is being said is that women have the right to ask to be referred to in terms that they find acceptable in the context they find themselves in and that their request should be respected. 

It may even be that our current team members are happy to be referred to as ladies in different contexts, but they have expressly stated they want the team name to remain Charlton Women. 

Your work colleagues make their choice of what is suitable among themselves. The women's team are doing the same. Why is that a problem to you?

I haven't chosen to be outraged, reading through this thread for the first time today I was amazed at the outrage from many on here about something so trivial.

The impression I got from a lot of the comments, was that the use of the word ladies is outdated and no longer acceptable.  I think that Charlton Ladies actually sounds much nicer than Charlton Women. 

• Options
    YTS1978 said:
    PWR...but why is it not just Charlton Athletic FC? Youth, men's, women's teams all the same right?
    That's where it will probably end up when that 1 non binary person gets terms with Fleet Badgers Women's B side
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pico said:
    Pico said:
    This is the first time I have opened this thread and am amazed at the outcry at the use of the word 'ladies'.

Before reading this thread, I wouldn't have hesitated to refer to myself as a lady, but it seems that it is a term that is no longer acceptable.  I am astounded that such an inoffensive word has caused so much outcry. It is the first time that I have heard that it causes so many people so much offence .

It amazes me that people who are happy to use the word c**t, which as a woman I find very offensive, object to the word lady.

I need to have a word with my colleagues at work, as we all refer to each other as ladies when we use the chat function on Teams. 
    No-one is saying the word is unacceptable. You have decided to infer that so that you can be outraged. 

What is being said is that women have the right to ask to be referred to in terms that they find acceptable in the context they find themselves in and that their request should be respected. 

It may even be that our current team members are happy to be referred to as ladies in different contexts, but they have expressly stated they want the team name to remain Charlton Women. 

Your work colleagues make their choice of what is suitable among themselves. The women's team are doing the same. Why is that a problem to you?

I haven't chosen to be outraged, reading through this thread for the first time today I was amazed at the outrage from many on here about something so trivial.

The impression I got from a lot of the comments, was that the use of the word ladies is outdated and no longer acceptable.  I think that Charlton Ladies actually sounds much nicer than Charlton Women. 

Pico said:

In that case I think you have misunderstood. What is being said is that women have the right not to be referred to as ladies if they think the term is patronising in a particular context.

It is fine for you to think that Ladies sounds nicer than Women. Don't you think it is also fine for the team to prefer something else because they don't see the term lady in the same way that you do ?  Maybe they don't want to be seen as nice
    Pico said:
    Pico said:

Pico said:

In that case I think you have misunderstood. What is being said is that women have the right not to be referred to as ladies if they think the term is patronising in a particular context.

It is fine for you to think that Ladies sounds nicer than Women. Don't you think it is also fine for the team to prefer something else because they don't see the term lady in the same way that you do ?  Maybe they don't want to be seen as nice
    I don't understand what is patronising about the words 'Ladies' in this context or any other.

I'm not the one who is outraged, I am very surprised at the outrage being expressed about something that, in the scheme of things, is so trivial. 
  • Options
    Even if the previous squad were 'happy' with the change, it certainly wasn't driven and thought up by them. 

The new squad being against the change should have told TS all he needed to know. 

Why was the idea thought up in the first place? It's just putting his stamp on the club for no reason other than his own ego. 
  • Options
    Ladies and Gentleman … is that wrong ? 
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    Pico said:
    Pico said:

Pico said:

Pico said:
    Pico said:

Pico said:

I don't understand what is patronising about the words 'Ladies' in this context or any other.

I'm not the one who is outraged, I am very surprised at the outrage being expressed about something that, in the scheme of things, is so trivial. 
    The historical meaning of the word Lady relates to a wife and a woman of higher standing. It is sexist, classist, not inclusive and generally outdated. However, if you are happy to refer to yourself as such, then that is your right and I don't think anyone else has a problem with that. The word itself is not offensive. A professional sports team is a different matter and it should be seen as being inclusive and forward thinking and therefore assuming appropriate terminology. 
    I am certainly not offended at being called a lady or a woman.  I still remain genuinely surprised that the word 'lady' is now thought to be sexist, classist, not inclusive and outdated; I'm sure I'm not alone.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I wouldn't have thought that either 'women' or 'ladies' is politically correct. It might upset the LGBLMTQ people.

How about 'Charlton Athletic those currently without a penis team?'

I wonder in what year the first player to move from the 'currently with a penis team' to 'currently without a penis team', or vice versa, will occur.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wilma said:
    Pico said:
    Pico said:

Pico said:

Pico said:
    Pico said:

Pico said:

The historical meaning of the word Lady relates to a wife and a woman of higher standing. It is sexist, classist, not inclusive and generally outdated. However, if you are happy to refer to yourself as such, then that is your right and I don't think anyone else has a problem with that. The word itself is not offensive. A professional sports team is a different matter and it should be seen as being inclusive and forward thinking and therefore assuming appropriate terminology. 
    I am certainly not offended at being called a lady or a woman.  I still remain genuinely surprised that the word 'lady' is now thought to be sexist, classist, not inclusive and outdated; I'm sure I'm not alone.
    It doesn’t matter if you are alone or not, it matters what the actual players involved think. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    No
    Whoa, slow down @Chizz . It is wrong for example if you are addressing a horde of approaching Milwall fans. It would also be wrong if you were addressing an assortment of winter vegetables. Context, @Chizz
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    No
    Whoa, slow down @Chizz . It is wrong for example if you are addressing a horde of approaching Milwall fans. It would also be wrong if you were addressing an assortment of winter vegetables. Context, @Chizz
    Same thing
    Well, quite.
  • Options
    Lady: a polite or formal way of referring to a woman. football is NOT tennis
  • Options
    As a compromise, what about Charlton Girlies?  ;)
  • Options
    So no conclusion then to this from the Fans Forum last night? Otherwise whoever represented the trust would have given an update by now. Unless the owner is not for turning 
  • Options
    Only a matter of time before it's Charlton Athletic People With Cervixes.
    It's really not, though is it? 🙄
    Eats, shoots and leaves.