Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Women to rebrand as "Charlton Ladies" - turned down by FA (p28)

Comments

• edited December 2021

• To be honest I don’t actually care what they are called. Just playing devil’s advocate. 

• https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/may/25/wimbledon-confirms-it-has-no-plans-to-rebrand-ladies-tournament

Wimbledon is the exception to the rule. Women's tennis is run by the Women's Tennis Association. It's the women's singles at the Australian, French and the US grand slams.
  • Prof Cameron said she doubted whether Wimbledon, steeped in history, would ever follow suit. It is understood that the All England Club does not feel it needs to alter the name of the tournaments as ladies’ and gentlemen’s are comparable terms. The male and female winners of the singles tournaments have been awarded the same prize money since 2007.

“With Wimbledon, one difference is nobody ever says gentlemen’s whereas you do hear that with ladies,” Cameron added, “but I think Wimbledon probably will keep it because it fits with the nostalgia and snobbery, if you like, of their brand.”

• lonman said:
    I guess changing the name is a 'faux pas' However, it gives some media exposure to the Charlton Women's team like getting a write up in the DT. The standard of women's football is piss poor, I'd personally rather go and watch the Youth Team. I guess if you're appealing to a group of people that are all about Women's football then you may want to be 'politically correct' when naming the side.
    The comparison with watching the academy teams is misplaced because at least part of the interest of the latter surely lies in the potential for progression to the men’s first team.
    My comment was that the standard of football is not great. The club can pump it as much as they want and in my opinion the club pumps it too much. The poor standard is not limited to Charlton Women's Team it's Women's football in general.  Example the Salford Youth Team comfortably beat the Manchester Utd Womens team, Dallas FC Youth Team beat the Womens USA National side I could give more examples but you get the gist.

If people were into Women's football for the skill and guile shown I may suggest that the desire to watch Youth Football would be far higher than it is. Clearly the youth teams are 'better' by looking at the results.

So the club made a mistake in changing the name to 'ladies' as the people playing for the team and the supporters of the team are dead against it. I'm assuming they've changed it back to 'Women' now.

• edited December 2021
    Bit odd that Sandgaard refuses to change it back. 

However at the time it was agreed he had the consensus of those affected. An odd situation and one where I assume someone has upset TS and he's being stubborn as a result.
  • lonman said:
    lonman said:
    I guess changing the name is a 'faux pas' However, it gives some media exposure to the Charlton Women's team like getting a write up in the DT. The standard of women's football is piss poor, I'd personally rather go and watch the Youth Team. I guess if you're appealing to a group of people that are all about Women's football then you may want to be 'politically correct' when naming the side.
    The comparison with watching the academy teams is misplaced because at least part of the interest of the latter surely lies in the potential for progression to the men’s first team.
    My comment was that the standard of football is not great. The club can pump it as much as they want and in my opinion the club pumps it too much. The poor standard is not limited to Charlton Women's Team it's Women's football in general.  Example the Salford Youth Team comfortably beat the Manchester Utd Womens team, Dallas FC Youth Team beat the Womens USA National side I could give more examples but you get the gist.

If people were into Women's football for the skill and guile shown I may suggest that the desire to watch Youth Football would be far higher than it is. Clearly the youth teams are 'better' by looking at the results.

So the club made a mistake in changing the name to 'ladies' as the people playing for the team and the supporters of the team are dead against it. I'm assuming they've changed it back to 'Women' now.

Have you even bothered to watch the Charlton Women play?
  • I wonder if the thinking (which i don't have an informed opinion on because i am a bloke (one hell of one, BTW)) is that 'Ladies' might hold a broader appeal among women and girls. That is to say perhaps they think for every one 21st Century empowered female they offend by using 'Ladies they gain two females that think 'oh, i can be feminine and still like football'. That and they might be able to get some more feminine focused sponsors. I don't know, just trying to make sense of his thinking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Crusty54 said:
    lonman said:
    lonman said:

I have - was one of 129 people watching the live feed on YouTube the other week for 15 minutes or so.  I can’t name any players though. 

Didn’t find it engaging but there again same when I have watched England women in competitions so probably not Charlton. 

I understand a previous comment in that I don’t feel any real affinity to the women’s team compared to say the youth team
  • shirty5 said:
    thenewbie said:
    So what’s the next plan of action then? 
    Roses sweets on the pitch at their next home game?
  • Seems to be a pretty good  FA cup draw for the women's side. 
  • Crusty54 said:
    lonman said:
    lonman said:

No Interest to be honest. As a previous poster stated 127 on a live feed via YouTube and he logged off after 15 minutes. I'm not digging out the Charlton Women's team, I'm just stating that Women's football is of a pretty poor standard. The facts are on my side with that. Would you imagine the Salford Youth Team (U15s) beating Manchester Utd 8-0 ? or Dallas FC (Under 15s) Beating the USA Men's team 5-2 ? Extremely unlikely. If you think they're brilliant, that's good for you, more power to your elbow. Me ? I'll pass.
  • The standard for the World Cup was very high and it is improving all the time. 

That's not really the point though, is it? TS has changed the name against the team's wishes and while he's saying he'll listen, he's not doing so. An odd and easily avoided own goal.
  • Did anyone broach it with him on Saturday after the game?  I’ve seen a lot of photos of fans drinking with him and his missus.  Curious if anyone brought it up? 
  • I wonder if the thinking (which i don't have an informed opinion on because i am a bloke (one hell of one, BTW)) is that 'Ladies' might hold a broader appeal among women and girls. That is to say perhaps they think for every one 21st Century empowered female they offend by using 'Ladies they gain two females that think 'oh, i can be feminine and still like football'. That and they might be able to get some more feminine focused sponsors. I don't know, just trying to make sense of his thinking.
    The answer to your first sentence is simply no. I wouldn’t normally claim to speak on behalf of all women and girls but I reckon I can here. 
    The answer to your first sentence is simply no. I wouldn’t normally claim to speak on behalf of all women and girls but I reckon I can here. 
    I’m inclined to agree. Was just trying to project what TS might have been thinking. 
  • I was wondering about all this from the marketing perspective and typed "Ladies Shoes" into Google.

Although there were lots of hits I couldn't find any companies which even mentioned the word "Lady" on their site.

Even sophisticated (and expensive!) shoes are for women - not ladies. Not sure what that proves though!

I have an idea Thomas might see this differently if his first language was English learned in England.
  • Sponsored links:

• lonman said:
    Crusty54 said:
    lonman said:
    lonman said:

No Interest to be honest. As a previous poster stated 127 on a live feed via YouTube and he logged off after 15 minutes. I'm not digging out the Charlton Women's team, I'm just stating that Women's football is of a pretty poor standard. The facts are on my side with that. Would you imagine the Salford Youth Team (U15s) beating Manchester Utd 8-0 ? or Dallas FC (Under 15s) Beating the USA Men's team 5-2 ? Extremely unlikely. If you think they're brilliant, that's good for you, more power to your elbow. Me ? I'll pass.
    Do you ever watch Womens' sport? 
  • Just change "Charlton Athletic" to "Charlton Gentlemen" and the problem is easily solved.

But no sporting club or event for men is named this way in the modern world.

The offense to women is surely that we would never countenance having a "gentlemen's" football team but we are happy to have a "ladies" football team.

Both imply that membership is restricted to a certain type of well-mannered person. Which it is not!
    Let's face it, we would be a bit of a laughing stock if the men's team were changed to Charlton Gentlemen, wouldn't we?
  • ‘Gentlemen’ is just so outdated. I mean you don’t say ‘gentleman’s sausage’ do you? It’s just ‘sausage’ …
  • Just change "Charlton Athletic" to "Charlton Gentlemen" and the problem is easily solved.

The offense to women is surely that we would never countenance having a "gentlemen's" football team but we are happy to have a "ladies" football team.

Both imply that membership is restricted to a certain type of well-mannered person. Which it is not!
    Let's face it, we would be a bit of a laughing stock if the men's team were changed to Charlton Gentlemen, wouldn't we?
    Be one way out of League One though if we have to join the League of Gentlemen !! :D
  • So, apart from TS and his partner, is there anyone *interested in the Charlton Women's Team* who thinks this is a good idea?

Cos the way I see it, it appeals to the sort of people who think women's football is not worth bothering with and annoys/offends the people who think it is worthwhile. 

I suspect it will lead to difficulties in recruiting better professional players all other things being equal. 

Be one way out of League One though if we have to join the League of Gentlemen !! :D
    "This is a LOCAL team, for LOCAL people!" 
  • Gribbo said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Bit odd that Sandgaard refuses to change it back. 

However at the time it was agreed he had the consensus of those affected. An odd situation and one where I assume someone has upset TS and he's being stubborn as a result.
    I'm telling you now, he's got a killer lyric that won't go with "women".

Well if that’s the case at least we know he won’t be changing the kit so they play in orange
  • @lonman

You clearly didn't watch the World Cup in 2019. I was surprised at the high standard of women's football nowadays.

https://youtu.be/wiM9h_7QDtc

And the first comment under this video is absolutely spot-on:

https://youtu.be/yKLRpLosxNY

• ‘Gentlemen’ is just so outdated. I mean you don’t say ‘gentleman’s sausage’ do you? It’s just ‘sausage’ …
    Too many jokes, not enough time….