Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Women to rebrand as "Charlton Ladies" - turned down by FA (p28)

Comments

• Options
    rikofold said:
    I feel really let down on this issue and it will massively impact whether I buy into what he’s trying to do here.
    Me too - and this is entirely the point. 

Right now it just feels like, I'm the man, I make the decisions, you little ladies get back in your box, I've decided it's not an issue. 

Says a lot about him that he's happy to respond to that horrendous account and not Airman's. 
    Maybe you could look at it as 'I'm the owner, I make the decisions, you employees get back in your box, I've decided it's not an issue'

Why are you critiquing whose account he chooses to respond to? No one should expect personal responses from him, he can respond to whomever he chooses. I am not the biggest fan of some TS decisions but we have to accept them or vote with our wallets. 
  • Options
    rikofold said:
    leefender said:
    I'll take the flak but I agree with Ben on this one, Sandgaard has invested alot to make the women's team a professional club, he can just as easily remove that funding and they can go back to working second jobs, or they can just accept that they are his employees. The women's team will never generate the money it costs to run it and most of the people up in arms about this change would never go to even watch them play. It's a ridiculous battle people have chosen to fight. 
    Another view is that it's a ridiculous battle he's chosen to fight. Why change the name that was universally accepted to one that's creating this conflict? It's counter productive but his male ego can't back down. 

If he ever decides to rename the men's team to something pathetic and embarrassing, I trust you'll get the issue then.

Our attitude to the women's team is appalling. Of course he can describe it as a non-issue whilst the male majority dismiss it like this. 
    I've been wondering what name change would upset me the most.

I suspect  "The Charlton Tigers" or "The Charlton Giants" would cause uproar. 

But I'm thinking more of something a lady woman might choose

The Charlton Beefcakes.
    The Charlton Hunks.
    The Charlton StudMuffins.     
  • Options
    Should go traditional and rename them Croydon Women's FC
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    It is all very strange. I would be rather disappointed if I asked the team one month then a few months later a new wave of players find out what was previously agreed and start pushing back. 

I wouldn't not listen though. I would enter discussions and review accordingly.  
  • Options
    And if TS decides to rename the club South London Yankees, will that be up to him because he retrieved it from ESI? Or are we just saying women’s football doesn’t matter, which is a perfectly legitimate view, but let’s not cloak it in bogus rationale.

Leaving aside the players who TS is presuming to speak for, the club has a supporters’ trust, a fans’ forum and a fan adviser (chosen by him) who all disagree. They are dismissed, if acknowledged at all, in favour of his reading of social media as being on his side or neutral. That’s a convenient position which he can utilise every time he runs into any resistance to anything, and disrespectful to the volunteers involved.
    There will be no "on his side" or "neutral" on social media if that were to ever happen.
  • Options
    I think the best thing everyone against the decision can do if the name change happens is to cancel your season ticket to the women's team
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    rikofold said:
    leefender said:
    I'll take the flak but I agree with Ben on this one, Sandgaard has invested alot to make the women's team a professional club, he can just as easily remove that funding and they can go back to working second jobs, or they can just accept that they are his employees. The women's team will never generate the money it costs to run it and most of the people up in arms about this change would never go to even watch them play. It's a ridiculous battle people have chosen to fight. 
    Another view is that it's a ridiculous battle he's chosen to fight. Why change the name that was universally accepted to one that's creating this conflict? It's counter productive but his male ego can't back down. 

If he ever decides to rename the men's team to something pathetic and embarrassing, I trust you'll get the issue then.

Our attitude to the women's team is appalling. Of course he can describe it as a non-issue whilst the male majority dismiss it like this. 
    I wouldn’t say the male majority have dismissed it as such.  You’ll always get a few idiots making chauvinistic comments that aren’t helpful, but I think a lot of the male supporters weren’t happy and have made it clear be it on here or elsewhere.  

I hope it gets sorted because I think TS has done a great deal to try and raise the profile of the women’s team, it would be such a shame for this to be a sticking point and be a little gray cloud for no reason other than stubbornness 
    That's fair. The normal Twitter nonsense isn't representative, and even there they will typically accept that the name change is unnecessary. 
  • Options
    This is an issue that is getting out of hand.  Too many people for and against are getting involved in this which I would bet a fair amount do not watch the team play and in some cases not even name the starting x1.

I disagree the name should be changed but agree with the argument that TS puts forward that what has it to do with the team  If the Men's team wanted to change the name of us would we say they want it changed or would we as supporters be up in arms about it and tell them we are the club as players always come and go?

The only way out of this situation is to have a vote amongst the current Woman's/Ladies team season ticket holders.  They are the only/real stakeholders in all this.  Due to their low numbers this will not be difficult to organise and we should get the result very quickly and we can get on with the real task of rebuilding out great club. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think changing the Clubs name to South London Yankees (South East London Yankees please 😉) is anything like what's going on here. Like it or not, the fact is the Club is what it is today, supported by everyone as it is, off of a men's team. That can not be changed and Charlton Athletic is the name of the institution, for want of a better word, that all the teams play under.

Re' Charlton Ladies / Charlton Women - I go from thinking one thing to thinking another. Leaving aside sexism or what word is appropriate to use these days, my personal overriding thought us - Why bother and what is it that makes TS want this so much? Is it just an ego thing and making his stamp, or is there another reason he's given that I've missed?

• Options
    leefender said:
    rikofold said:
    leefender said:

That will be an issue that I would choose to get involved in because I actually watch the men's team, as well as buy a season ticket, weekly streams and lots of merchandise. So I actually have a vested interest in that, but the women's team is something hardly anyone puts their hand in their pocket for, Jumping on a cause simply for likes is not my thing. Ladies/Women, neither are intended to be offended and if you are offended by a widely used tem then maybe the problem lies closer to home
    Why are you even arguing then, if you don't care? 

The game is growing in this country - I believe it is now the biggest participation sport of school aged girls. It is a time when we should be backing that, and the irony here is that Sandgaard is putting his money into turning the club professional whilst making a decision that is making people think twice about buying into it.

Whether or not you, a male, think an issue for women is one worthy of attention, doesn't it strike you as a little mad to be taking a retrograde decision like this - when not changing the name would be an issue for literally no-one. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    leefender said:
    I think the best thing everyone against the decision can do if the name change happens is to cancel your season ticket to the women's team
    the default response when someone hasn’t got a sensible thing to say 
    Its not the much different when a lot of us told the RD regime we were not renewing our season tickets in that era. 
  • Options
    leefender said:
    rikofold said:
    I feel really let down on this issue and it will massively impact whether I buy into what he’s trying to do here.

Right now it just feels like, I'm the man, I make the decisions, you little ladies get back in your box, I've decided it's not an issue. 

Says a lot about him that he's happy to respond to that horrendous account and not Airman's. 
    Maybe you could look at it as 'I'm the owner, I make the decisions, you employees get back in your box, I've decided it's not an issue'

Why are you critiquing whose account he chooses to respond to? No one should expect personal responses from him, he can respond to whomever he chooses. I am not the biggest fan of some TS decisions but we have to accept them or vote with our wallets. 
    That's exactly how I'm looking at it. How did you think I was looking at it?

Why can't I observe that he avoided replying to the person who made the comment, but instead chose a troll who happened to agree with him for the purpose of a wind up. Says a lot about him in my view, especially as he and Airman are hardly strangers. Path of least resistance typically gets chosen by people who don't have confidence in their argument, such as those whose ego won't allow them to back down when they're in the wrong. 
  • Options
    leefender said:
    Or hold a protest at the next home game down at VCD
  • Options
    rikofold said:
    leefender said:

I've been wondering what name change would upset me the most.

I suspect  "The Charlton Tigers" or "The Charlton Giants" would cause uproar. 

But I'm thinking more of something a lady woman might choose

The Charlton Beefcakes.
    The Charlton Hunks.
    The Charlton StudMuffins.     
    Or something more akin to what he's doing to the ladies, such as 

The Little Boys of Charlton 
    Charlton Darlings
    Charlton Mansplainers
  • Options
    Just to Sandgaard view that it’s just a form to the FA, it’s not, it’ll go through an approvals process, and it won’t get approved, he can then try and appeal to the FA, but I suspect it’ll get knocked back unless there is some amazing reason 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    shirty5 said:

I guess Johnson's relationship with the truth is the inspiration here. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Rothko said:
    leefender said:
    No, that is the response of someone who doesn't put money into something when I have an issue with it, I actually did stop buying tickets in the RD era and started buying again when we were hoodwinked by ESI
  • Options
    I’ve paid a couple of times this season for myself and my son to go, so that obviously buys me a load more say then 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    rikofold said:
    leefender said:
    rikofold said:

That's exactly how I'm looking at it. How did you think I was looking at it?

Why can't I observe that he avoided replying to the person who made the comment, but instead chose a troll who happened to agree with him for the purpose of a wind up. Says a lot about him in my view, especially as he and Airman are hardly strangers. Path of least resistance typically gets chosen by people who don't have confidence in their argument, such as those whose ego won't allow them to back down when they're in the wrong. 
    Blimey Rikofold can you not see what TS is up to?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    rikofold said:
    shirty5 said:

I guess Johnson's relationship with the truth is the inspiration here. 
    How the hell has Boris Johnson’s name got dragged into this debate! 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    leefender said:
    Rothko said:
    leefender said:
    No, that is the response of someone who doesn't put money into something when I have an issue with it, I actually did stop buying tickets in the RD era and started buying again when we were hoodwinked by ESI
    Yes, I've bought tickets to the women's team too for the giveaways I do. So I guess my opinion is just as valid
  • Options
    Rebranding doesn’t make any difference to me. 
  • Options
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/thomas-sandgaard-name-change-for-charlton-athletic-women-is-

“We’ve had a lot of conversations internally. Does this conflict with being the most progressive club in all of England when it comes to EDI (equality, diversity and inclusion)? There is absolutely no conflicts with that. I think it’s just as good as the word women – I consider maybe a little more respectful, if there is any difference.

There’s his reason, TS thinks it’s more respectful.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/thomas-sandgaard-name-change-for-charlton-athletic-women-is-

“We’ve had a lot of conversations internally. Does this conflict with being the most progressive club in all of England when it comes to EDI (equality, diversity and inclusion)? There is absolutely no conflicts with that. I think it’s just as good as the word women – I consider maybe a little more respectful, if there is any difference.

There’s his reason, TS thinks it’s more respectful.
    That’s hardly going to fly with the football authorities, who are opposed to the change.
  • Options
    If only he showed this much determination in signing players in the summer. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    It is all very strange. I would be rather disappointed if I asked the team one month then a few months later a new wave of players find out what was previously agreed and start pushing back. 

If that was true but the very best that could be said is that his version of that is contested - and that’s a stretch.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

If that was true but the very best that could be said is that his version of that is contested - and that’s a stretch.
    I mean that's the same story put out by Cawley earlier too.