Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Women to rebrand as "Charlton Ladies" - turned down by FA (p28)

Comments

• I'm going with TS is willing to sit down and listen and approachable.
    Someones approached TS all guns blazing on the matter.
    Got his back and his thought b@llocks to this I'm going ahead with the name change.

Whatever's happened TS needs to take a step back and announce the team is staying as the Womens team.
    What's happening at the moment doesnt put TS or the club in good light.
  • I have no strong views on a team I personally have no affiliation with.
    I understand the argument and I can see both sides point of view.

A genuine question here.
    Is it acceptable to have Ladies Day at the racing or should that be changed to Womens Day? (ignore whether we should be horse racing in the first instance).
    I'm just trying to understand all instances of acceptability or non acceptability.
    I'm a man so wouldn't want to state as fact but the key issue does seem to be setting and situation.

Racing generally is seen as a formal event so I would guess that ladies being the more formal term is appropriate. Sports (not just football) are professional places and the more professional term is women.
    Horse racing is also a sport, isn’t it ?
  • edited January 2022
    There is an allegation that Sandgaard got rid of Keith Boanas (the pre-2007 team manager) because he disagreed with him on this issue. I have no idea if it meets the description above. It’s also not clear to me what Boanas’s recent involvement was, but I know this is an issue.
  • So, this has just become another tedious chapter in the culture wars with the usual suspects on each side.

I suppose TS's mistake was agreeing to fund the loss making ladies side in the first place.  Women's football is one of the fulminating frontlines of the culture wars and thus it is always going to be more trouble than it is worth.  Whatever he does will never be enough.

A lose-lose situation, and one that he has to keep throwing money at whilst being crucified for it.  He only has to take a look at this thread, where his inner thoughts and motivations have been divined by the all-knowing priests of the new religion and he has been found guilty of sexism, narcissism and much else, on the basis of their unique powers of mind reading.

Heretics will not be tolerated, after all.  I don't know why he bothers.  The sense of entitlement on show is staggering.
    What the actual fuck.

The boomer energy is strong with this one.
    Boomer energy isn't the right thing, telling women to know their place and to be grateful for what men give to them is the energy off this post.  
  • edited January 2022
    I have no strong views on a team I personally have no affiliation with.

A genuine question here.
    Is it acceptable to have Ladies Day at the racing or should that be changed to Womens Day? (ignore whether we should be horse racing in the first instance).
    I'm just trying to understand all instances of acceptability or non acceptability.
    I'm a man so wouldn't want to state as fact but the key issue does seem to be setting and situation.

Racing generally is seen as a formal event so I would guess that ladies being the more formal term is appropriate. Sports (not just football) are professional places and the more professional term is women.

I don't think renaming them the Charlton Nags will help matters mate.

24 pages and the issue is still largely, being missed.

A genuine question here.

And “lady” seems to be used to describe spectators more than participants.
  • and Wimbledon and Racing are two sports which trade off their perceived place in the class system, the rest of the sport in Tennis talk about Women, it's the WTA and the jockeys are women. 

A genuine question here.

Not so. There are races for Lady Amateur Riders. 

• Rothko said:
    and Wimbledon and Racing are two sports which trade off their perceived place in the class system, the rest of the sport in Tennis talk about Women, it's the WTA and the jockeys are women. 
    No disputing that female jockeys are women. Except in Ladies only races, of which there are many.

A genuine question here.

Not so. There are races for Lady Amateur Riders. 

That may be true, but I can't help imagining there's a class dimension going on with Lady Amateur Riders that doesn't happen with women's football.
  • Sponsored links:

• I wouldn't be surprised if there is ultimately a different name change to the one proposed, allowing TS to stand behind the 'name change was always going ahead' line, without alienating the squad, staff and a chunk of supporters.
  • Rothko said:
    So, this has just become another tedious chapter in the culture wars with the usual suspects on each side.

I suppose TS's mistake was agreeing to fund the loss making ladies side in the first place.  Women's football is one of the fulminating frontlines of the culture wars and thus it is always going to be more trouble than it is worth.  Whatever he does will never be enough.

A lose-lose situation, and one that he has to keep throwing money at whilst being crucified for it.  He only has to take a look at this thread, where his inner thoughts and motivations have been divined by the all-knowing priests of the new religion and he has been found guilty of sexism, narcissism and much else, on the basis of their unique powers of mind reading.

Heretics will not be tolerated, after all.  I don't know why he bothers.  The sense of entitlement on show is staggering.
    What the actual fuck.

Boomer energy isn't the right thing, telling women to know their place and to be grateful for what men give to them is the energy off this post.  
    I dislike use of the word boomer as it always seems to have an ageist slant - I think your summary is far more accurate. I always find it strange when someone decides to make a change unilaterally for a group they don't even belong to - it's never a good look.

A genuine question here.

I don't think renaming them the Charlton Nags will help matters mate.

24 pages and the issue is still largely, being missed.
    I’m not missing the point and I’m not arguing one way or the other. I was just correcting an earlier remark about horse racing.

Ah yeah, that's more a general observation tacked on to a funny haha rather than a personal dig.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if there is ultimately a different name change to the one proposed, allowing TS to stand behind the 'name change was always going ahead' line, without alienating the squad, staff and a chunk of supporters.
    Charlton Babes would do the trick. 

Is there anything other than “Charlton Women” that would be acceptable as a name?
  • edited January 2022
    Do what Prince done but change the name to the female chromosome symbol. Sure it would be simple enough to include the CAFC badge in it, innit
  • Gribbo said:
    Do what Prince done but change the name to the female chromosome symbol. Sure it would be simple enough to include the CAFC badge in it, innit
    Thinking about it, this would also mean that all the women all over the world sporting the female chromosome symbol tattoo, automatically become Charlton fans. 

Yeah, reckon this idea has legs.....
  • So, this has just become another tedious chapter in the culture wars with the usual suspects on each side.

What the actual fuck.

Using 'Boomer' doesn't really move any argument along either. Just another lazy generalisation.

I agree and I hate it. But sometimes it's the only way to go. Particularly when that person's only argument is "culture wars".
  • Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:
    I'm going with TS is willing to sit down and listen and approachable.
    Someones approached TS all guns blazing on the matter.
    Got his back and his thought b@llocks to this I'm going ahead with the name change.

Whatever's happened TS needs to take a step back and announce the team is staying as the Womens team.
    What's happening at the moment doesnt put TS or the club in good light.
    I wouldn't say that all guns blazing is right from the ff minutes.
  • I see the women’s team are listed as Ladies in the Teams drop down on the main website yet the logo once you reach that page still says Charlton Women.

Is it possible TS has dug his heels in, made an easily reversible change just so he’s not caught backing down. Move on a few weeks and the menu label might change back quietly.

I’d hope that his clearly bright wife (PhD) will have picked up on this and will gently persuade him to use a term that is more in keeping with modern sport and athletes.

He can then be picked out for the hugely positive changes he has effected in strengthening, including and making the Women’s team full time.
  • Swisdom said:
    I listened to "The Price of Football" podcast today - and interview with Tracey Crouch following her recent fan-led review.  She's a Spurs fan and was the sport minister.  She also happens to be the Conservative candidate in my area.

They asked her about the renaming of Charlton and her response was, and I quote , "To be honest with you I don't understand the debate" "The important thing is they actually have a women's team.  At least they have a squad that are playing football" "I don't really understand the difference between women and ladies - perhaps that just makes me a bad feminist than anything else"

It made me think of this thread and I wondered if it was still bubbling along.  It appears it is. 

There's still plenty of virtue to be signalled yet!
  • See the ladies have made a signing.

That name change clearly putting off any new recruits!
  • I’ve met Tracey Crouch several times during the Fan-led Review and been very impressed. 

However, her involvement in this matter has left me v disappointed. I believe she and Rick Parry of the EFL actually spoke with Thomas on the matter. Would have hoped a voice or two from the women’s team and /or fans would have been involved in such a meeting but not the case.

Seems some opinions still matter much more than others when it comes to football / women’s football. 

Not sure i follow - disappointed because she was neutral on Ladies v Women or participated in a call without first agreeing it must comprise a fan (difficult to expect an employee (player) to potentially directly challenge TS) ?
  • Coventry United Ladies: Championship club given 10-point deduction

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59898774