Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Women to rebrand as "Charlton Ladies" - turned down by FA (p28)

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    It is all very strange. I would be rather disappointed if I asked the team one month then a few months later a new wave of players find out what was previously agreed and start pushing back. 

I wouldn't not listen though. I would enter discussions and review accordingly.  
    If that was true but the very best that could be said is that his version of that is contested - and that’s a stretch.
    I mean that's the same story put out by Cawley earlier too. 
    I understand but I mean that it is TS’s account, which as with social media is his chosen interpretation. I wasn’t there so I won’t call it dishonest but there is a very different narrative coming from people who have reason to know what happened.

I understand the temptation to view this as an argument with a number of supporters. But that is just the fallout from an ongoing dispute with the players and the football authorities.
  • Options
    Whats the point of the fan forum if he's just going to do what he wants anyways?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/thomas-sandgaard-name-change-for-charlton-athletic-women-is-

“We’ve had a lot of conversations internally. Does this conflict with being the most progressive club in all of England when it comes to EDI (equality, diversity and inclusion)? There is absolutely no conflicts with that. I think it’s just as good as the word women – I consider maybe a little more respectful, if there is any difference.

There’s his reason, TS thinks it’s more respectful.
    “Respect the players by ignoring them”
  • Options
    My question is.
    How did the current womens team approach TS over the name change?

Doesnt make sence to me.
    TS has got the  hump, I think he knows the name wont be changed.
    But in the meantime TS is causing mayhem.
    Theres more to this behind the scenes.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Belv said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Whats the point of the fan forum if he's just going to do what he wants anyways?
    Do you think a fans forum should just be CAST turning up and telling the owner what he should and shouldn't do and then he just does as he's told?
    Do you think the decision should be made without its input and it should be told on first discussion that it is done and won’t be changed regardless?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Belv said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Do you think a fans forum should just be CAST turning up and telling the owner what he should and shouldn't do and then he just does as he's told?
    Do you think the decision should be made without its input and it should be told on first discussion that it is done and won’t be changed regardless?
    The decision has been made with it's input and the reasons for that decision outlined.

That surely is the purpose of a fans forum, questions are asked and then answered.
  • Options
    A question to the trust.
     Did the womens team approach the trust on this matter ?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Belv said:
    Belv said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    The decision has been made with it's input and the reasons for that decision outlined.

That surely is the purpose of a fans forum, questions are asked and then answered.
    Not according to TS. His stated view is that the decision was made many months ago and he has made no claim that the trust or the FF were consulted. He advised the forum, where individuals dissented, in its first discussion of the issue that the decision had been made and would not be changed.

in any event, the club did not change the name months ago and has not changed the name. But I repeat, the issue is not what fans think, it is with the players and the football authorities. That is not resolved.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/thomas-sandgaard-name-change-for-charlton-athletic-women-is-

“We’ve had a lot of conversations internally. Does this conflict with being the most progressive club in all of England when it comes to EDI (equality, diversity and inclusion)? There is absolutely no conflicts with that. I think it’s just as good as the word women – I consider maybe a little more respectful, if there is any difference.

There’s his reason, TS thinks it’s more respectful.
    “Respect the players by ignoring them”
    My assumption (I don’t know) is that the players ordinarily don’t use either term and just speak in terms of playing for Charlton or Charlton Athletic. 

The compromise might be the formal name with the authorities is just Charlton Athletic I.e. neither term added and ‘Ladies’ is only used internally to differentiate one team from the other. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do worry that when Sandgaard is told 'no' about something, it just makes him more determined to plough on with it. 
  • Options
    What a shame Thomas is not listening. I’ve lost a bit of respect for the man. He has shown he is a bit of a dinosaur. 
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited December 2021
    Everyone acknowledges what TS has done for Charlton womens' team and Charlton, without whom, we would not have a club.
    The fact that the decision was taken 6 months ago doesn't make it a good one. Trouble is, more that TS digs his heels over it the less he is want to back down. Its difficult though to see why TS is taking such a determined stand over this. Surely, its not worth the aggro - to say nothing of being counterproductive to building the brand.

• Options
    I do worry that when Sandgaard is told 'no' about something, it just makes him more determined to plough on with it. 
    Message to TS: don’t sign good players, we don’t need them
  • Options
    I'm interested in etymology and checking out "lady" found it's a concept unique to the English language and early reference was "woman chosen as an object of chivalrous love".  

"Woman", comes from Saxon for bread maker, but just means female person, so had it been in modern times we might be discussing the Charlton Hooverers. (Joke)

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Well that hasn’t been the case so far with his tenure. In fact he’s listened to the fans and changed  decisions a few times .
    Personally I can’t see the issue with the name change  unless it’s just that he didn’t consult the team that’s the problem  ? 
  • Options
    In ten years time, the word woman will be deemed derogatory and the permanently offended will be telling us to use lady again and what a bad person you are if you don’t. There are so many things in the world that require change. I don’t understand why people don’t channel their energy into real things rather than tosh like this.
  • Options
    Several times as this discussion has gone round and round in circles, people have pointed out that the women's team is loss-making, as if that on its own made the team unimportant. If that's the case, I'm afraid I have some really bad news for you about how profitable the men's team is.
    What does that have to do with a change of name? All sporting clubs are loss making bar a few around the world. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How about Charlton Little Ladies?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    For those of us who are pretty ignorant of the relevant facts could someone in the know tell us, or give us a "best guess" on;

- the average attendance at a home league game
    - how much it costs to get in
    - the number of season ticket holders
    - how much a season ticket costs
    - the sort of dough the players are getting, on average, now the club has gone professional 
    - how much it is all likely to cost to bank roll the womens team for a year

Just interested in getting some facts out there as I dont really have much idea on any of the above.
  • Options
    This will blow over and whatever happens hereafter, everybody will be aware that he has invested in the womens / ladies team that’s for sure 
  • Options
    Belv said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Or let him run roughshod all over the club and any other opinions be damned? Of course there should be a middle ground, but swimming against the tide on issues such as these won't help his image. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Pico said:
    In ten years time, the word woman will be deemed derogatory and the permanently offended will be telling us to use lady again and what a bad person you are if you don’t. There are so many things in the world that require change. I don’t understand why people don’t channel their energy into real things rather than tosh like this.
    And the Charlton Women's team isn't one of them
    So if it did not require change why did TS go to full time from part time? Why did TS need to bring it in house for the first time in 14 years
  • Options
    Well that hasn’t been the case so far with his tenure. In fact he’s listened to the fans and changed  decisions a few times .
    Personally I can’t see the issue with the name change  unless it’s just that he didn’t consult the team that’s the problem  ? 
    Maybe this will help ?

https://www.castrust.org/2021/12/charlton-women-why-we-oppose-the-name-change/