Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Women to rebrand as "Charlton Ladies" - turned down by FA (p28)

Comments

• Options
    https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12520800/misogyny-rife-on-football-message-boards-with-fans-expressing-hostile-and-sexist-attitudes-research-finds

Misogyny 'rife' on football message boards with fans expressing 'hostile and sexist attitudes', research finds

The Durham University study found that while progressive views were "strongly represented", they were "not as common as hostile and sexist attitudes".

The researchers suggest this is proof of a backlash against the increased visibility of women's sport since the 2012 London Olympic Games and the 2015 Women's World Cup.

The fans who held openly misogynistic attitudes towards women's sport saw it as inferior to men's sport, particularly in relation to football.

Some said women should not participate in sport at all, or if they did, it should be in "feminine" sports, such as athletics.

There was also extreme hostility towards increasing media coverage of women's sport, which was seen as "positive discrimination" or "PC nonsense".

Co-author John Williams, from the University of Leicester, said: "The increase in media coverage of women's sport on both the BBC and subscription channels was openly supported by some men.

"But it also clearly represents, for others, a visible threat - an attack on football as an arena for 'doing' masculinity."

The study, funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC), is published in the academic journal Sociology and was led by Durham University with researchers at the University of Leicester and University of South Australia.

• Options
      I have no strong views on a team I personally have no affiliation with.
      I understand the argument and I can see both sides point of view.

A genuine question here.
      Is it acceptable to have Ladies Day at the racing or should that be changed to Womens Day? (ignore whether we should be horse racing in the first instance).
      I'm just trying to understand all instances of acceptability or non acceptability.
      I'm a man so wouldn't want to state as fact but the key issue does seem to be setting and situation.

Racing generally is seen as a formal event so I would guess that ladies being the more formal term is appropriate. Sports (not just football) are professional places and the more professional term is women.
      Horse racing is also a sport, isn’t it ?
      And “lady” seems to be used to describe spectators more than participants.
      Not so. There are races for Lady Amateur Riders. 

Is it not the LPGA and Ladies European tour and they are participants.
    • Options
      I'd say she is being diplomatic
    • Options
      I was hauled into a supervisors office back in 2002 when a final year student, for referring to a female client as a 'Lady' and have never used the term since. It was a wake up call and something I will never forget. 
    • Sponsored links:

• Options
      edited January 2022
      whenever i do an email requesting some help from our marketing team, i always start the email with 'Ladies' (they are all women btw) - never dawned on me that they might think i'm being disrespectful - how do you address a group of women without naming them all?  
    • Options
      DOUCHER said:
      whenever i do an email requesting some help from our marketing team, i always start the email with 'Ladies' (they are all women btw) - never dawned on me that they might think i'm being disrespectful - how do you address a group of women without naming them all?  
      ‘Hi all’
    • Options
      DOUCHER said:
      ‘Hi all’
      Just don't be tempted to say 'Hitler'
    • Options
      DOUCHER said:
      Greetings 
    • Options
      DOUCHER said:
      I guess everyone should address people however they'd like to be addressed, as a general rule, and that seems to be the issue with changing the name of the team. 
    • Options
      DOUCHER said:
      I guess everyone should address people however they'd like to be addressed, as a general rule, and that seems to be the issue with changing the name of the team. 
      i will send them a pre email first next time and ask them
    • Options
      DOUCHER said:
      DOUCHER said:
      In French I was taught you should ask someone if they wished to be referred to as Tu or Vous.  "On peut se tutoyer".

It's basically a way of saying "Can I refer to you as Tu" which is more familiar and formal  than Vous.  I always found this practice strange but I suppose this is not too dissimilar to nowadays to people telling us what their pronouns are so nobody assumes anything.

Still find it weird though
    • Options
      Swisdom said:
      DOUCHER said:
      DOUCHER said:
      In French I was taught you should ask someone if they wished to be referred to as Tu or Vous.  "On peut se tutoyer".

It's basically a way of saying "Can I refer to you as Tu" which is more familiar and formal  than Vous.  I always found this practice strange but I suppose this is not too dissimilar to nowadays to people telling us what their pronouns are so nobody assumes anything.

Still find it weird though
      thats probably ina  similar context to whether you write to somebody by name or Dear Sir / Madam - talking of which - maybe i should address them as Madams !!! - Charlton Madams anybody ????  
    • Sponsored links:

• Options
      I was hauled into a supervisors office back in 2002 when a final year student, for referring to a female client as a 'Lady' and have never used the term since. It was a wake up call and something I will never forget. 
      See the source image
    • Options
      shirty5 said:
      “The girls executed the game plan really well,” said Hills.

Hmmm...
    • Options
      edited January 2022
      Scoham said:
      right thats it then , next time its Morning Girls - Karen Hills must know the correct terminology 
    • Options
      edited January 2022
      Moning Gils, i wonder if one of you is available to fill out all the tedious boring stuff in this bid and make it look pretty once i've completed anytjhing of any consequence. First come, first served.
    • Options
      DOUCHER said:
      Moning Gils, i wonder if one of you is available to fill out all the tedious boring stuff in this bid and make it look pretty once i've completed anytjhing of any consequence. First come, first served.
      Good luck with getting Gillingham fans to do your work for you ;)
    • Options
      This is 2022 and everyone wants to be a victim.

The way to achieve this is to micro-analyse every aspect of every human interaction so that you find something to feel offended by.  Presumably it's the narcissistic warm glow of moral and intellectual superiority that is the reward for such types and keeps them permanently on the lookout for other potential victims.

We used to look up to those who had mental toughness and could rise above such petty bullshit, but now many people in the Western world aspire to be as pathetic, narcissistic and self pitying as possible.

Kids used to aspire to being like Muhammad Ali; now they want to be like Jussie Smollet.

The Western world is fucked; Putin and China must be pissing themselves as they watch our societies falling apart due to endlessly pointless self-inflicted division by a generation that, instead of seeing '1984' as a warning from history, see it as an instruction manual.

He had some interesting views on race, but it doesn't often get referred to for some reason
    • Options
      I was actually referring to the post where a fellow Lifer was disciplined for using the word 'lady'.  Which is fucking insane.

You managed to infer something that I did not say and then find something else to be offended by.

Congratulations, you've just proved my point.