Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Women to rebrand as "Charlton Ladies" - turned down by FA (p28)

Comments

• edited January 2022
    Not sure if that was directed at me, but I’m certainly not offended by anything you wrote. 
    And yes, the lady thing sounds a bit dumb. 
  • It's almost like context has something to do with it.
  • ^I did check and it's real!
  • McBobbin said:
    Sounds like Cuthbert got the better deal from the women's football

Shame she doesn’t play rugby. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    whenever i do an email requesting some help from our marketing team, i always start the email with 'Ladies' (they are all women btw) - never dawned on me that they might think i'm being disrespectful - how do you address a group of women without naming them all?  
    I guess everyone should address people however they'd like to be addressed, as a general rule, and that seems to be the issue with changing the name of the team. 
    i will send them a pre email first next time and ask them
    Could you please not use that gendered terminology. Wake up! Please Use the term eMessage 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Not sure if that was directed at me, but I’m certainly not offended by anything you wrote. 
    My reply was to Addickhead 86.

You do not perceive that society has changed, I do....otherwise, how could the 'lady' thing have been even entertained as a serious issue worthy of disciplinary action?  The fact that it was not only perceived as an issue (given their posting history, I cannot believe that the person involved had any malicious intent in their use of the word; particularly one that has historically been used out of politeness), but an issue grave enough to warrant official reprimand is utterly madness, IMHO;

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.
  • This is 2022 and everyone wants to be a victim.

The way to achieve this is to micro-analyse every aspect of every human interaction so that you find something to feel offended by.  Presumably it's the narcissistic warm glow of moral and intellectual superiority that is the reward for such types and keeps them permanently on the lookout for other potential victims.

We used to look up to those who had mental toughness and could rise above such petty bullshit, but now many people in the Western world aspire to be as pathetic, narcissistic and self pitying as possible.

Kids used to aspire to being like Muhammad Ali; now they want to be like Jussie Smollet.

The Western world is fucked; Putin and China must be pissing themselves as they watch our societies falling apart due to endlessly pointless self-inflicted division by a generation that, instead of seeing '1984' as a warning from history, see it as an instruction manual.

Sound like a bit of a snowflake to me.
  • JamesSeed said:
    My reply was to Addickhead 86.

You do not perceive that society has changed, I do....otherwise, how could the 'lady' thing have been even entertained as a serious issue worthy of disciplinary action?  The fact that it was not only perceived as an issue (given their posting history, I cannot believe that the person involved had any malicious intent in their use of the word; particularly one that has historically been used out of politeness), but an issue grave enough to warrant official reprimand is utterly madness, IMHO;

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.
    Oh, I wasn't offended either, btw. The 'lady' incident happened in 2002 though, so I don't think it's to do with any recent social changes?
  • Sponsored links:

• I was hauled into a supervisors office back in 2002 when a final year student, for referring to a female client as a 'Lady' and have never used the term since. It was a wake up call and something I will never forget. 
    Here is the original quote so that posters can make up their own mind.  He said nothing about context - that is your own invention.  I bet you get all self-righteous when Trump or Boris lies their arse off, amirite?
  • Still think the world hasn’t gone batshit crazy. Much of it is in our own heads. Bit of change or progress never really hurt anyone. All I was saying was that the outrage is often stirred up or created by tabloids and social media. 
  • If I'm in a restaurant and want to know where the toilet is, I would ask where is the ladies toilet, it wouldn't even occur to me to ask where is the woman's toilet.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Still think the world hasn’t gone batshit crazy. Much of it is in our own heads. Bit of change or progress never really hurt anyone. All I was saying was that the outrage is often stirred up or created by tabloids and social media. 
    And wanky people in government with their lunacy. Pregnant "people". Self-identify as pregnant lol

• edited January 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    Still think the world hasn’t gone batshit crazy. Much of it is in our own heads. Bit of change or progress never really hurt anyone. All I was saying was that the outrage is often stirred up or created by tabloids and social media. 
    And wanky people in government with their lunacy. Pregnant "people". Self-identify as pregnant lol
    Yeah, but even if that sort of thing happens, I just see it as a bit dumb, it doesn’t make me desperately angry. What’s the point of seeking out this stuff in order to be outraged, as some people seem to. And very often things you hear and read about turn out not to be true, like ‘Birmingham council wants to ban Christmas!’, or ‘The EU wants to ban your British Cuppa’ (which initially got me annoyed when I saw it on Facebook. What was I thinking?!)
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Yeah, but even if that sort of thing happens, I just see it as a bit dumb, it doesn’t make me desperately angry. What’s the point of seeking out this stuff in order to be outraged, as some people seem to. And very often things you hear and read about turn out not to be true, like ‘Birmingham council wants to ban Christmas!’, or ‘The EU wants to ban your British Cuppa’ (which initially got me annoyed when I saw it on Facebook. What was I thinking?!)

True.
  • edited January 2022
    Pico said:
    If I'm in a restaurant and want to know where the toilet is, I would ask where is the ladies toilet, it wouldn't even occur to me to ask where is the woman's toilet.
    Because in that context "Ladies" is appropriate and no-one is suggesting you use any other term.  In the context of a football team it isn't appropriate and our football team doesn't want it. 
    The context would be fine if the men's team were known as the gentleman's team.
  • Spaced out comment, man. 
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    Spaced out comment, man. 
    Noted and edited 
  • edited January 2022
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Pico said:
    If I'm in a restaurant and want to know where the toilet is, I would ask where is the ladies toilet, it wouldn't even occur to me to ask where is the woman's toilet.
    Because in that context "Ladies" is appropriate and no-one is suggesting you use any other term.  In the context of a football team it isn't appropriate and our football team doesn't want it. 
    This has nothing to do with men or gentlemen. You've taken it out of the context of professional women's sport and compared it to men where a comparison doesn't need to be made and has no relevance.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Pico said:
    This has nothing to do with men or gentlemen. You've taken it out of the context of professional women's sport and compared it to men where a comparison doesn't need to be made and has no relevance.
    So in that instance woman is also unacceptable and they need to be known as Charlton Athletic
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Pico said:
    So in that instance woman is also unacceptable and they need to be known as Charlton Athletic
    You've lost me.
  • JamesSeed said:

WHO CARES. 
  • edited January 2022
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Pico said:
    You've lost me.
    In my simple brain

Gentleman is the same as Lady

Men is the same as Woman

Charlton is the same as Charlton.

Is that not right?
  • I was actually referring to the post where a fellow Lifer was disciplined for using the word 'lady'.  Which is fucking insane.

You managed to infer something that I did not say and then find something else to be offended by.

Congratulations, you've just proved my point.
    It's the way of the world now.
    A few years back the wife said at her place of work not to say "you look nice today".
    As my reply could be "are you saying I look bad on other days"
  • edited January 2022
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Pico said:
    You've lost me.
    In my simple brain

Gentleman is the same as Lady

Men is the same as Woman

Charlton is the same as Charlton.

Is that not right?
    I think you're right to a degree and although I wouldn't want to speak for any women athletes, I am sure they wouldn't have any issue at all about being refered to as just Charlton Athletic.

However, for now, all they are asking for is the baby step that we don't go backwards away from the industry standard which is a shift from "ladies" to "women". In a time when everyone is doing the opposition of the proposed change that TS wishes to implement, I think it's a very foolish hill to die on.
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

True.
    Thank you.