Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Plymouth Argyle vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 18th December 2021

edited December 2021 in General Charlton
With COVID forcing Jacko to make a couple of changes to the starting lineup, his first game in charge as permanent manager at Plymouth was off to a rocky start. Nonetheless, we started well, with Soaré and Leko coming in to replace Famewo and Washington. For thirty minutes, we outplayed them in possession before letting Plymouth, who had garnered only one point from fifteen, gain a foothold. We then went completely flat. 

On the stroke of half time Plymouth managed to waltz up to our box and force MacG into a parry that fell just right for another of their oncoming attackers. To go down a goal in that manner was a gut punch. Would that prove a wake up call? Could we respond?

Well, the answer was a resounding no to both. We were second best to everything in the second half. Rather than find another gear, everything went flat. We laboured on to no great effect and the game slipped away without much fanfare.

Plymouth were not much better than us and missed some comically easy chances. Still, with the poor run of form, I’m sure they’re elated.

This is the kind of performance that’s best just to forget as quickly as possible.

Plymouth Argyle 1 Charlton Athletic 0

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    Not every transfer works out. Bless him Kirk is probably a nice bloke and all that, but at 500k he is a dud.
    Then again Dobson isn't.
  • Options
    DJ was rubbish but at least he didn't hide, and he did get stuck in. Nothing came off for him, but some of the other players were rubbish AND uninvolved. At least one of the others probably doesn't have a professional career left, at least not here. Squad needs a slight overhaul
  • Options
    Curbs and Nelson both saying they think Covid may have spread, even on the long journey down to Plymouth? it seems too coincidental that so many were off the pace....perhaps JJ can shed some light on the matter?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    Clare was good. That's about it. 
    And went off injured. Just as we get Innis back. Not enough strength in depth. Too many players who are not quite good enough. Can we get anyone decent in in the window? 10 defeats, hard to see us making the play offs now.
  • Options
    JJ has some work to do to replicate the home form, a few away games now where its been poor
  • Options
    Apologies if this is a stupid question - but did we have the option to get the game postponed?
    Obviously it makes no sense whatsoever to play without your best forward and defender....
  • Options
    Excellent commentary by Louis Mendez on Radio London.
  • Options
    Blackpool
    Huddersfield
    Forest
  • Options
    That 2nd half performance was soo bad it’s untrue. I don’t know where to start 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Oh shit. 'DJ hid' and 'DJ didn't hide' in two successive posts. CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTER
    Didn't really hide for me. Might have wanted to, but they kept going at him. But his touch, which is normally very good, looked like that of a stone today and never seemed to make the right decision. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Clare was good. That's about it. 
    Dobbo too. Won the ball back a lot, especially in the first half. But everyone in front of him were poor, bar maybe Stickley who at least dropped off and tried to link up play. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    All I'll say is - nobody could cock up as much as DJ did today on the ball if they were hiding. He did fight for possession and win quite a lot of free kicks though
    He can’t physically hide can he. His body language with 20 mins to go was that he stuck himself out as wide as he could, so try take himself and his marker out the game. Then when play was switched, he’d come inside straight away looking to offload before get brushed off the ball with ease. I understand consistency with league one wingers is going to be very low, but his arsehole went today.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    DJ was rubbish but at least he didn't hide, and he did get stuck in. Nothing came off for him, but some of the other players were rubbish AND uninvolved. At least one of the others probably doesn't have a professional career left, at least not here. Squad needs a slight overhaul
    Oh come on. DJ was so effing useless today it would have been better if he'd hidden back in the dressing room. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Dogshit! It's like having got Jacko the job, we have reverted to type.
  • Options
    Oh god, sorry if the commentator reads CL, but yeah, that was staggering stuff. Couldn't identify our players most of the time. Said Plymouth were a confident team when they've been losing every fucking week. Didn't seem to really understand football. Gave us poshos a bad name
  • Options
    Is Washington the most important player in our squad? We’re a different, much worse team without him
  • Options
    How the hell do I enjoy Christmas now, with that rubbish embedded in my brain?