Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Plymouth Argyle vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 18th December 2021

Comments

• Options
    Today was the day we can see the downside of the JJ approach. When he's got a system that works and players that all know their roles and responsibilities it works superlatively. As soon as 1 or 2 key players are out, the other cogs start slipping and the system looks less impressive. 

By no means is this a dig at Jackson, his success rate still speaks for itself, but hopefully he'll have taken notes from today about the weakness of his squad and be able to make the necessary changes in January. 
  • Options
    Elliot Lee has generally been good for us but tends to look for the hollywood pass when a simple pass is on. Thought him and Gilbey were poor today. Kirk is devoid of any confidence whatsoever. The killer was the goal just before half time. We were on top at that point and it was against the run of play. We never looked like getting a goal 2nd half. Shame as the way things are going over there it looks like there will be a lockdown soon . 
  • Options
    I didn't watch from sofa at home or 'aboard' or at Home Park, but it sounds like Addicks were very much under par, the players are human beings and probably affected by three of their teammates testing positive and possibly some carrying early stages of infection and fatigue?  Like Emma Hayes: Chelsea boss said on being thrashed 4-0"  "players 'sick' with worry about Covid before Wolfsburg defeat." 
    All signs point to a circuit breaker Lockdown immediately after Christmas, will this affect Boxing Day away v Wimbledon personally hope not but with the new variant ripping through London who knows what games will be on and how it will affect Charlton and our players mental state. Lets hope no other players get ill and supporters are safe and well, going into Christmas. 
  • Options
    Not the performance I'm sure most of us were expecting. Lackluster, flat with midfield apart from Dobbie not functioning. Love Jacko's good honest assessments at the end of games. He tells it like it is and doesn't waffle on about luck or bad ref decisions. A blip but I'm sure Jacko will get things back on an even keel.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    cazo said:
    I hope Wimbledon gets called off we go again against gillingham and then get some players back and in🤞🤞
    No thanks. Would much rather be having our traditional Boxing Day match. We should have enough to beat Wimbledon even without Washington and Famewo
    If we play them without the missing players we will lose. Washington has been a major contributor to Jacksons team's upturn & we simply don't have a striker to replace him

Add in Famewo's recent defensive displays all adds up to us not being able to keep a clean sheet & then not being able to score enough to overcome it.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I can’t believe the number of posts are about the commentator and not about our ineffective display up front. Come on guys, I know we are upset about the performance but it’s nothing to do with the stand-in commentator l. 
    You wont hear anything from me about our ineffective/missing front line. Said it once too often.....and was told earlier I was being boring. 

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    Today was the day we can see the downside of the JJ approach. When he's got a system that works and players that all know their roles and responsibilities it works superlatively. As soon as 1 or 2 key players are out, the other cogs start slipping and the system looks less impressive. 

By no means is this a dig at Jackson, his success rate still speaks for itself, but hopefully he'll have taken notes from today about the weakness of his squad and be able to make the necessary changes in January. 
    He got it wrong today. Purrington on the left is vital to giving the formation balance, and Soaure isn't up to it. Instead of just replacing Famewo with Gunter, he disrupted 2 positions instead of 1.
    Doesn’t seem to trust Gunter though, does he. Has hardly featured even on the bench since he took over, while Watson is nearly always picked. I’m not one of the Gunter haters myself, but Jacko’s pretty transparent about how a player makes the match day squad.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

He got it wrong today. Purrington on the left is vital to giving the formation balance, and Soaure isn't up to it. Instead of just replacing Famewo with Gunter, he disrupted 2 positions instead of 1.
    Doesn’t seem to trust Gunter though, does he. Has hardly featured even on the bench since he took over, while Watson is nearly always picked. I’m not one of the Gunter haters myself, but Jacko’s pretty transparent about how a player makes the match day squad.
    I was wrong about Watson being back in the team by Christmas, when picking him above x and y was a major criticism leveled at Adkins but its quite obvious that he is a trusted player.  Its quite obvious some others aren't. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

For me Washington is the bigger loss, we have no one to replicate those runs or to play on the shoulder to try and stretch the play. Agree Purrington getting forward has been important but in theory we have others who should be able to do that. I'm not sure I would have put Gunter as the left sided CB, we've seen before how awkward he is on his left foot so then the only other option would be to switch Clare, again I wouldn't be a fan of that.

To blame today on Jacko, whilst it may be a very small part of it is slightly short sighted. Injuries and covid primarily caused today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Well that was rubbish. Looked like every player lost their touch, ability to make the right decision or even play a simple pass. It was the Charlton we've been so used to watching.

We've had a couple of these away performances now, which is a bit worrying. Something is not right on the road. You can understand a handful of players being off their game, but the whole team? How does that happen exactly. 

I think Jacko's system has been sussed quite early. Teams sit back in that low block and we find it really difficult to produce anything. Up to JJ to come up with the answers now. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    PWR.

It wouldn't be Charlton if we didn't lose the first game after JJ named as permanent manager. It was inevitable it would happen.

Apart from that Famewo and Washington in particular were  big losses today and it is distinctly possible others might be going down the 'the vid' route too in my opinion.
  • Options
    Disappointing but there is a pattern. Teams have worked out a way to blunt us especially away from home. In essence it is negative but we have to work out a way around it. We might need to let a few go and bring in a few to give us the options in depth. Soare just doesn't look up to it to me. I was so disappointed in Kirk. I have seen him play far better for Crewe but he is looking like a park player. We really missed Washington. I'm confident JJ and JE will know what needs to be done.
  • Options
    Excellent commentary by Louis Mendez on Radio London.
    Thank you. 
  • Options
    There completes the triumvirate of games mentioned in the changing room by Jacko after the Plymouth home game …. 1 point from those 3 games 

we looked so off the pace 
    lame all round but they can have that cos of the brilliant efforts that have been put in recently .

that’s that realistically for the play offs 
    10 points is too much 
    we just aren’t consistently good enough to close that gap .

Another season as the wankiest team in South East London and sloshing about in the third tier .

merry fucking Christmas, fuck you charlton , Charlton is for life not just Christmas, oh great something to look forward to , came lunts 

0%    Top 2
    5% Play offs 
    75     7th-12th
    20%  13th-20tH
    Usually enjoy or at least appreciate reading the after match comments.  Didn’t like or appreciate this one.
  • Options
    Ben18 said:
    Just like at Shrewsbury, we lose more than we gain by Purrington having to play as the third centre half. 

I’d rather have Gunter in there if they don’t trust Souare to play in the back 3. 
    Or the most sought-after young centre back outside the top two divisions 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    We should not be playing players not knowing if they have Covid or not. Test them. Test them every day. Symptoms or not. Irresponsible not to.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Started a bit shit, progressed to being more shit and finished at a level of shit Adkins would have been proud of. Sorry, if he hadn’t signed on Thursday, doubt the contract would be there this evening after that…….. 

I know that’s harsh, but god that was fucking awful……… 

An don’t like to pick on a player, but Lecko has not made a single positive pass since his return…… a 100% passenger.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    I also think Wimbledon being called off wouldn’t be such a bad thing given how jaded they all looked 
    I make you right cabbles, I'm surprised the league hasn't got together and discussed suspending the season for at least a month, I think Co vid certainly moves faster than they are able to.
  • Options
    Are we going up? No. Are we going down? No. We won't win every game, we won't lose every game. Look at where we were heading under Nige, let's look forward and be positive. Under JJ we've got our Charlton back, bring on the next game COYA
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I can’t believe the number of posts are about the commentator and not about our ineffective display up front. Come on guys, I know we are upset about the performance but it’s nothing to do with the stand-in commentator l. 
    You wont hear anything from me about our ineffective/missing front line. Said it once too often.....and was told earlier I was being boring. 

It isn't about you.
  • Options
    I seriously wonder if Soare's contract might just get paid up to open up a squad space, cant see a future here for him.

Likewise Kirk, looks lost and Ive never seen such a one footed footballer, not that he does enough with his good foot, maybe loan him out seeing as he cost us a small fortune....hopefully regain his mojo, if he had any to start with. Lowery was who we should have signed.

Its not all doom and gloom, we did lose two influential players which unbalanced us. However having the size of squad should help but the whole thing is totally unbalanced, with far too many midfielders.

Not enough defensive cover of any quality which was totally apparent today with a midfielder (my man of the match btw) and a left back playing centre half.

Personally I dont think the much maligned Albie Morgan would have been any worse than Lee, who has now had a run of poor games yet doesnt get called out the same as Albie.

Our midfield today really consisted of Dobson...the others were woeful. Both wingbacks in the same category.

Plymouth weren't anything special, id be surprised to see them in the play offs on those two showings. Defensively we should have cleared the ball for the goal. MacG needs to hold the ball and stop parrying it back into play, its a weakness they need to work on as its not the first time its cost us.

Hopefully a blip, but boy, did we miss Washingtons high press and athleticism.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

honestly if I've ever said anything bad about Tel I retract it with enormous apologies
    Its ok, I forgive you, it is Christmas after all :smile:
  • Options
    I know it was a shite game but why is this thread in the “non sports related” thread?
    My best guess would be @LoOkOuT had a bit of a brain fart, and most people are using the Recent Discussions view so didn't notice. Fixed now.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    We really missed Washington stretching the defence today. There were a lot of average performances tonight. One of those days. Need an Ipswich like performance next game.

The DJ player marks are massively unfair, never hid and tried to make things happen.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    colthe3rd said:
    thenewbie said:

He got it wrong today. Purrington on the left is vital to giving the formation balance, and Soaure isn't up to it. Instead of just replacing Famewo with Gunter, he disrupted 2 positions instead of 1

To blame today on Jacko, whilst it may be a very small part of it is slightly short sighted. Injuries and covid primarily caused today.
    Covid caused Washington to be missing.....a lack of strikers caused us not to be able to replace him. I admit we couldnt call on Davison, but that isn't really an issue as imo he wouldn't have made a lot of difference.

2 strikers of decent experience & quality should be the main thrust of any January transfer dealings. In recent games we have been without Stockley & now Washington and we have dropped points in 3 of those 4 matches. Having to rely on Davison, Burstow and to a lesser extent Leko is not the answer.
  • Options
    I didn’t watch today but reading the comments about Kirk.

I’m sure he was poor, he generally has been so far but to be balanced he’s a left winger who constantly cuts inside high up the pitch so asking him when totally shot of confidence to play wing back is totally alien to him and bound to end up like it did.

If JJ plays this shape I don’t see a place or a future for Kirk. Shame!

Today showed we have a promotion chasing Xl but a weak squad. No depth or options up top and that midfield three can’t play at that intensity for 46. We need option.

Kyle Dempsey & Dion Charles would be perfect for me and realistic plus a LWB. Let’s hope the Black Box or whatever it’s called is working in Jan as so far it’s given us Arter | Soure | Kirk