Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Plymouth Argyle vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 18th December 2021

Comments

• Options
    Excellent commentary by Louis Mendez on Radio London.
    Shame the same couldn't be said of the stand in Jamie Reid. Awful style, hard to listen to. Get well soon Greg and Terry! 
  • Options
    Apologies if this is a stupid question - but did we have the option to get the game postponed?
    Obviously it makes no sense whatsoever to play without your best forward and defender....
    No we had more than 14 players available. 

Saying that if anyone caught Covid on the coach/train to the game there could be some serious backlash. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Oh god, sorry if the commentator reads CL, but yeah, that was staggering stuff. Couldn't identify our players most of the time. Said Plymouth were a confident team when they've been losing every fucking week. Didn't seem to really understand football. Gave us poshos a bad name
    True but he’s the least of our worries after that sh*t show 
  • Options
    How the hell do I enjoy Christmas now, with that rubbish embedded in my brain? 
    Drink is now your friend...
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Team were lacking energy today.
  • Options
    How the hell do I enjoy Christmas now, with that rubbish embedded in my brain? 
    Drink until you can't remember it? 
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    I think today's performance indicates that a lot more of our players will test positive for COVID as they seemed to be lacking energy..
    They must of all had Covid for August and September as well then...... 
  • Options
    Never never going to win every game, and let’s not forget that before their poor run Plymouth won 16 in a row, so are clearly a talented team - and they showed that today.

However plenty of worries for me, firstly how poor we play without one of our first choice strikers, and secondly how we don’t seem to have a plan B. As mentioned in the match thread, and here, that was a very Adkinsesque performance, we bossed the first 30ish minutes but then something changed and that was that for the rest of the game.

Not sure if Plymouth changed formation, maybe to a 4-3-3 or 3-4-3, or tactics, but after that our wingbacks and midfield we’re completely nullified. No idea why after the start of the second half Jackson didn’t change the formation - get Leko deeper and running at them and get DJ off who was just not at the races. But hey ho, frustrating to lose especially as probably won’t see any football in a while. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Im not so sure that the Wimbledon game will go ahead, Covid is spreading like wildfire I wouldnt mind betting that some more of our players are found to be positive....Mrs RM has been fine throughout the whole of the pandemic, eaarler this week she tested positive for Covid and is not currently in a good state of health, yet she is normally as fit as a fiddle!
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Ben18 said:
    Just like at Shrewsbury, we lose more than we gain by Purrington having to play as the third centre half. 

I’d rather have Gunter in there if they don’t trust Souare to play in the back 3. 
    Agreed and can't believe I'm saying I'd rather Gunter over anyone but Souare just isn't up to it. 
    Gunter LCB with Purr at LWB and we possibly draw that game 0-0
  • Options
    Difficult to decide which was worse, the team or the Live Commentary?
    Between the two of them it was an absolutely frustratingly shyte afternoon. 😡
    Today's stand in commentator sounded like a pound shop Sam Matterface. Which is saying something.
  • Options
    Poor peformance all round. Having only 2 decent strikers is not enough as Charlton look poor when either Washington or Stockley is injured / suspended. Cover in the left back / left half area is also needed as Souare looks really average.

First 30 mins were ok but after that Plymouth came into the match and bossed the game from 35min onwards. Stockley had one decent chance and there was a lack of end product from Leko and DJ. DJ was really poor second half. Surprised just how poor Kirk is. Seriously lacking any composure or quality. Midfield was really flat.

Its difficult to see how Charlton get promoted. The squad does not look strong enough. Its difficult to get a decent striker in January. Hoping that by the start of the next season, the third striker and weaknesses  in the squad are sorted out.
  • Options
    Souare is so fucking poor. Its embarrassing that he's robbing a living. 
    Bin him off first chance.

First half was good bar there goal but the second was woeful. They set up to counter and it worked for them.

Burstow to start next game instead of Leko if the others are still out.

Lastly, get DJ doing extra fitness sessions..he just look dead on his feet 
  • Options
    Im not so sure that the Wimbledon game will go ahead, Covid is spreading like wildfire I wouldnt mind betting that some more of our players are found to be positive....Mrs RM has been fine throughout the whole of the pandemic, eaarler this week she tested positive for Covid and is not currently in a good state of health, yet she is normally as fit as a fiddle!
    Hope she's feeling better soon RM.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought we looked overly tired. Not making excuses for that display but I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised that we have more covid sufferers in the squad. The day before I tested positive this week I was absolutely shattered,no other symptoms,just that. If Stockley had buried that first half header then Plymouths fragile confidence would've shattered I think. Not to be, one of those days. Onto Wimbledon.

Hope you feel better soon @Redvalleyeast and that the covid turns out mild for you. Got a booster yesterday, ok but have the energy level of today's Charlton's match.
  • Options
    vff said:
    I thought we looked overly tired. Not making excuses for that display but I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised that we have more covid sufferers in the squad. The day before I tested positive this week I was absolutely shattered,no other symptoms,just that. If Stockley had buried that first half header then Plymouths fragile confidence would've shattered I think. Not to be, one of those days. Onto Wimbledon.

Hope you feel better soon @Redvalleyeast and that the covid turns out mild for you. Got a booster yesterday, ok but have the energy level of today's Charlton's match.
    Many thanks @vff,i've felt better!
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Apologies if this is a stupid question - but did we have the option to get the game postponed?
    Obviously it makes no sense whatsoever to play without your best forward and defender....
    No we had more than 14 players available. 

Saying that if anyone caught Covid on the coach/train to the game there could be some serious backlash. 
    It was kind of insinuated during the broadcast that players are only tested when they have symptoms. But EFL guidelines from a couple days ago mandate testing players daily. I wonder if the mandate went into effect right away. 

https://www.efl.com/news/2021/december/efl-statement-covid-19-update/

Unless a player tests positive on the day and is allowed to travel (which I highly, highly doubt), I don't see how anyone can be blamed if players catch it on the coach.

Hopefully this forces players who aren't vaxxed to reconsider getting vaxxed. It might take 6 weeks for the full effects, but better late than never. In November, 75% of EFL players had had at least one shot. That was a pretty big increase from 50% in October. But ideally you'd want that to be 90%+. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Hope she's feeling better soon RM.
    Thanks @aliwibble much appreciated
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Excellent commentary by Louis Mendez on Radio London.
    Shame the same couldn't be said of the stand in Jamie Reid. Awful style, hard to listen to. Get well soon Greg and Terry! 
    Realised how much I missed Greg and Tel after enduring the comedy duo for ITV4 against Gateshead.
  • Options
    Good to see big Ryan on the pitch again though, especially if Clare has picked up a knock. 
    Definitely good to have him back, but he can't play at that RCB position if Jacko wants that player pushing into the opposition half and sometimes playing as a sort of deep fullback in possession. He looked so awkward receiving the ball near the touchline. It has to be Gunter in that role if Clare misses the next game. The only role I think Iniss can play in our current set up is in the middle of the three, and he'll have to dislodge Pearce from that. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Good to see big Ryan on the pitch again though, especially if Clare has picked up a knock. 
    Definitely good to have him back, but he can't play at that RCB position if Jacko wants that player pushing into the opposition half and sometimes playing as a sort of deep fullback in possession. He looked so awkward receiving the ball near the touchline. It has to be Gunter in that role if Clare misses the next game. The only role I think Iniss can play in our current set up is in the middle of the three, and he'll have to dislodge Pearce from that. 
    I was surprised Gunter didn't come on. 
  • Options
    Gutted with that performance today. Lacked so many things. Loads of credit in the bank for me though. Big period coming up. But I think we will be ok just for the playoffs.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Leuth said:
    Oh god, sorry if the commentator reads CL, but yeah, that was staggering stuff. Couldn't identify our players most of the time. Said Plymouth were a confident team when they've been losing every fucking week. Didn't seem to really understand football. Gave us poshos a bad name
    In the commentators' defence it's not always easy to pick out the players when you're watching on TV, which us what Jamie Reid and Browny were doing today. I thought that's how they were working in the first half just by the way they were calling things but in the second half they were saying they were at The Valley, not Home Park.

Jamie may be a professional commentator (is he a Charlton fan?) but give me Tel, Greg, or any of the other guys from Valley Pass commentary stints in seasons past.

Except Emma ...