Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Plymouth Argyle vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 18th December 2021

Comments

• Options
    First half looked bright for the first 30minute. Second half adkins esque. Kirk total waste of space. 
  • Options
    Plymouth played the way we did against them at The Valley. They showed a lot more energy and contested better than we did. They deserved the win and could have scored more goals. We looked jaded and maybe there were more of our players out there sufering from COVID?? 

Can`t win them all. Disappointing loss with no points gained but only 1 goal conceded.

Next game away again and JJ needs to find a way to get that high level of performance out of the players they have shown recently in the home games. 

COYRs!

• Options
    we need to put home performance’s into away game’s plus players in and out needed 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Oh god, sorry if the commentator reads CL, but yeah, that was staggering stuff. Couldn't identify our players most of the time. Said Plymouth were a confident team when they've been losing every fucking week. Didn't seem to really understand football. Gave us poshos a bad name
    In the commentators' defence it's not always easy to pick out the players when you're watching on TV, which us what Jamie Reid and Browny were doing today. I thought that's how they were working in the first half just by the way they were calling things but in the second half they were saying they were at The Valley, not Home Park.

Jamie may be a professional commentator (is he a Charlton fan?) but give me Tel, Greg, or any of the other guys from Valley Pass commentary stints in seasons past.

Except Emma ...
    Wasn't just that though. It was his horse racing commentary style plus asking Brownie multiple times what he thought of a player or difference in management styles of JJ and Adkins while the game was going on. Just commentate on the game no one wants a chat show. 
  • Options

[Snip]

Next game away again and JJ needs to find a way to get that high level of performance out of the players they have shown recently in the home games. 

Maybe we need to be taking 18,000+ Addicks fans to away games to create the same atmosphere to get the players revved up?
  • Options
    What I said last week is that we're one or two key players getting injured from reverting back to what we had seen earlier this season. Well today proves that. Not much to dwell on really, poor performances from nearly everyone today. Reinforcements are needed desperately in January. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Leuth said:
    Oh god, sorry if the commentator reads CL, but yeah, that was staggering stuff. Couldn't identify our players most of the time. Said Plymouth were a confident team when they've been losing every fucking week. Didn't seem to really understand football. Gave us poshos a bad name
    In the commentators' defence it's not always easy to pick out the players when you're watching on TV, which us what Jamie Reid and Browny were doing today. I thought that's how they were working in the first half just by the way they were calling things but in the second half they were saying they were at The Valley, not Home Park.

Jamie may be a professional commentator (is he a Charlton fan?) but give me Tel, Greg, or any of the other guys from Valley Pass commentary stints in seasons past.

Except Emma ...
    Wasn't just that though. It was his horse racing commentary style plus asking Brownie multiple times what he thought of a player or difference in management styles of JJ and Adkins while the game was going on. Just commentate on the game no one wants a chat show. 
    He's a radio commentator and he made multiple references to those listening to the audio-only coverage, so that's probably why he had that style.

Not that I want to make too many excuses for him ...
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Leuth said:

Except Emma ...
    He's a radio commentator and he made multiple references to those listening to the audio-only coverage, so that's probably why he had that style.

Not that I want to make too many excuses for him ...
    If you're a radio commentator you don't ask questions while the match is going on as no one has a clue what's happening. 
  • Options
    PWR but for me, a total non event, apart from some decent patches in the first half.

We SO missed Wash & Akin...in fact it's rather concerning that the loss of just 2 players made such a significant difference.

DJ had an absolute nightmare, Lee once again not the player we saw & admired when he first joined us, Stockley, well, I'm seriously questioning both his ability & his temperament and  when he came on the pitch, Kirk was dire.

So, let's fervently hope that this was a one off & that we don't fall so far behind our recent standards again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A poor performance, and worryingly lethargic. If several players played with Covid, spreading the virus, that's terrible. We shouldn't be tired surely, as we haven't played for a week

DJ was poor BUT did try. Souare looks like a dubious gamble that didn't work. Leko was more effective running wide than as a central striker. Stockley didn't make the most of our best chance, and skied another shot. Kirk did nothing useful in his 30 minutes until his final kick, and didn't help the shape either, being so right footed

The midfield wasn't great either, Lee and Gilbey were barely involved, while Dobson seemed overwhelmed in the second half. If Lee and Gilbey are that leggy, there will HAVE to be rotation over the Christmas period, assuming no cancellations.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    We obviously missed Washington & Famewo today.

We missed Stockley when he was out for 3 games - 2 away games, lost 1 and drew 1 after being 2-0 up.

It shows that we are only a few players away from Adkins territory. Look at the teams around & below us, only 1 has played the same number of games as us, the rest have 1, 2 or, in Wimbledon's case, 3 games in hand.

I don't mind being called out & i'm known as a pessimist but talk of the play offs should be just that- talk. In reality we are only a bad run from being sucked back into a relegation fight. 

The first thing that is needed come Jan 2nd is a striker. The second thing is another striker. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Is Washington the most important player in our squad? We’re a different, much worse team without him
    Yes. We really missed him today. We desperately needed someone to graft away, take the game by the scruff of the neck and give the team something to have confidence in. So many times Washington has been that person, but today there was no-one.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Except Emma ...
    Fulham fan. I remember a game he was doing for us on BBC London a few years ago. During that one he seemed more interested in the tweets that they were getting about the game. Shame as I've known him since primary school!

As far today's result it's a poor one against a team bang out of form. We sounded bereft of energy 2nd half and were carrying a few players. As others have said you have to wonder if Covid was more of an issue than just those 3 missing. 
  • Options
    Commentary aside, the balance of the audio wasn’t great. Could barely hear the game, just them talking.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Stig said:
    se9addick said:
    Is Washington the most important player in our squad? We’re a different, much worse team without him
    Yes. We really missed him today. We desperately needed someone to graft away, take the game by the scruff of the neck and give the team something to have confidence in. So many times Washington has been that person, but today there was no-one.
    Different type of player, but I would of (and this isn’t just hindsight) started Burstow upfront with Stockley. We are far too one dimensional with just Stockley, it was a factor in Adkins ultimately losing his job and hopefully Jackson will avoid similar mistakes. 
  • Options
    First 20 mins I saw nothing that worried me about Plymouth, and their keeper kept them in it with 2 good saves - then, well I don’t know what happened to us - dreadful

An earlier post on here mentioned the positive Covid cases, and I do wonder if there will be more positive cases in the team over next few days - they have all trained with Akin, Conor and Josh this week, and we did seem to have a collective slump in energy after half time

Hey ho - all part of the joy of being a Charlton fan 😳
  • Options
    I hope Wimbledon gets called off we go again against gillingham and then get some players back and in🤞🤞
  • Options
    cazo said:
    I hope Wimbledon gets called off we go again against gillingham and then get some players back and in🤞🤞
    No thanks. Would much rather be having our traditional Boxing Day match. We should have enough to beat Wimbledon even without Washington and Famewo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    no we won’t 
  • Options
    And Charlie Kirk - jeez, simply horrendous - how the fuck did he miss the target with the shot he had (ok it would have been ruled out, but he put it wider of the goal than the distance he shot from !!!)
    Luckily we only signed him on a short term deal! 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Been waiting for this fixture since they were announced. What a pile of shit. One player worth his place today: Clare. Otherwise they should be bloody ashamed. Let Jacko down, let us down.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    And Charlie Kirk - jeez, simply horrendous - how the fuck did he miss the target with the shot he had (ok it would have been ruled out, but he put it wider of the goal than the distance he shot from !!!)
    Luckily we only signed him on a short term deal! 
    We bemoaned Naby having a long deal - He left us a completely different player to the one that joined

Hope Charlie will be able to do similst.
    Oh definitely 
  • Options
    I can’t believe the number of posts are about the commentator and not about our ineffective display up front. Come on guys, I know we are upset about the performance but it’s nothing to do with the stand-in commentator l. 
  • Options
    Jacko’s pre-match interview was unfortunately correct and paraphrasing Disappointing to lose key players the game as we had worked so hard with them in the training ground before then. We have done our best to replicate that but I’m pretty sure we’re fucked unless we get lucky’
  • Options
    Another poor away performance - can't see us threatening the playoff places.
  • Options
    Glad we played in red