Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Only - January 2022 Transfer Rumours (Deadline Day p.97)

Comments

• Chelsea want to continue their loan business and will have to do it with under 21’s plus half a dozen over. They will be looking to hoover up more youngsters going forward and the powers that be need to limit the numbers allowed out on loan in this age group as well.

Getting cat1 is becoming urgent with the talent we have in our youth sides, but this would have not prevented Burstow leaving.

They have probably doubled his wages for doing the same job. We can only hope that we have secured a good deal with add on’s.
  • This summer transfer window could be very interesting.  What did we get for Burstow and will it be reinvested?  Say it was £4M as mentioned on here then since TS came in we would have received something like £9.6M in transfer fees iirc.  Spent out maybe £2.5M? So in transfer dealing up say £7M?  

Probably cost about that to run the club for 12 months so maybe he is break even at this point (or close?).  Not bad for us in L1 if so.

Now to the summer... If Pope and Gomez move on, both of which COULD happen then TS could be well in the money.  How much of that goes into transfer fees? Would he buy Sparrows Lane if possible and assuming quite cheap...
  • redbuttle said:
    Clarky said:
    Gribbo said:
    I do understand why TS can rub people up the wrong way, but I'm not too sure why him acting any different would change the situation. 

A question - If you were happy with the performances and we were looking at going up, would ownership of Sparrows Lane and the ground still be as big an issue?

If it's the current league position that's the problem, surely that's down to the players and Jacko. If it's transfers that's the problem, we know funds have been made available, so it must be down to Gallen and / or Jacko.

I do personally have an issue with the club and assets not being owned as one, but on balance understand you can't have everyghing. I also find it remarkable how people think they can tell someone else how to spend their £millions after they've already coughed a couple of £million to get us where we are now
    Pretty much sums it up for me. And agree entirely about how some think they have the right in telling someone how to spend their millions presumably based on purchasing a £300-£500 season ticket which they then complain is to expensive and prices shouldn't increase.
    Agree with you. Whatever Thomas does, or doesn't do is wrong with some of our fans.
    And have very short memories
  • Sponsored links:

• You mean just like Chrissy Powell, Lee Bowyer, Johnny Humphries, Mickey Bennett, Mark Kinsella and Chuks Aneke did?

Don't forget the great Eddie Firmani, back from some top Italian clubs!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    ct_addick said:
    ct_addick said:
    So tell me difference between TS and RD other than he comes to games and plays the guitar in the Oak after.....always will be a selling club
    Oh and TS doesn't own the Valley and Sparrows Lane FFS
    You will find that may not get honest debate and will become a pariah. 
    What would the debate be? Why would it not be honest? 

The facts are that TS did not separate the Valley and Sparrows Lane from the club, Roland did. Thomas refused to meet Roland's unacceptably high valuation for those assets, the same value that scared other potential owners off... The Aussies, Andrew Barclay and allegedly some others (we're yet to hear anything hard on who they were). 

To be fair, it was ESI who separated the assets. The original agreement was them buying the club first,  with a legal obligation to acquire the club’s remaining assets within six months.

• You mean just like Chrissy Powell, Lee Bowyer, Johnny Humphries, Mickey Bennett, Mark Kinsella and Chuks Aneke did?

Killer, Flash, Morts
  • Dazzler21 said:
    ct_addick said:
    ct_addick said:
    So tell me difference between TS and RD other than he comes to games and plays the guitar in the Oak after.....always will be a selling club
    Oh and TS doesn't own the Valley and Sparrows Lane FFS
    You will find that may not get honest debate and will become a pariah. 
    What would the debate be? Why would it not be honest? 

The facts are that TS did not separate the Valley and Sparrows Lane from the club, Roland did. Thomas refused to meet Roland's unacceptably high valuation for those assets, the same value that scared other potential owners off... The Aussies, Andrew Barclay and allegedly some others (we're yet to hear anything hard on who they were). 

To be fair, it was ESI who separated the assets. The original agreement was them buying the club first,  with a legal obligation to acquire the club’s remaining assets within six months.

Ah but it was Roland who agreed to it and did not do his proper research on the clowns. 
  • Redrobo said:
    Chelsea want to continue their loan business and will have to do it with under 21’s plus half a dozen over. They will be looking to hoover up more youngsters going forward and the powers that be need to limit the numbers allowed out on loan in this age group as well.

Getting cat1 is becoming urgent with the talent we have in our youth sides, but this would have not prevented Burstow leaving.

They have probably doubled his wages for doing the same job. We can only hope that we have secured a good deal with add on’s.
    Also as has been mentioned Brexit means Chelsea can't hoover up kids from abroad as often as before so now they and other PL clubs are looking to the lower divisions.
  • Could see him being loaned back next season as well his not ready for our first team let alone a championship club. 
  • Could see him being loaned back next season as well his not ready for our first team let alone a championship club. 
    I can't see him coming back next season unless we don't have 4 senior strikers. 

Which would be an issue. 

Killer, Flash, Morts
    Forgot about Morts!
  • I think this is a great deal if the money is right.

I don’t know what we gave Maidstone for him financially but the fact Chelsea were sniffing around him at that time and now we are going to get money for him is surely a win for us.

Also, he has scored some goals for us and clearly has the knack of being in the right place at the right time so far. I’m yet to be convinced by his play outside of the box or what type of forward he is it turns out to be.

I’m a little surprised at a big club coming in for him at this point. I feel he needs to be developed to prove himself as a consistent scorer at this level never mind higher up the leagues. He doesn’t stand out for me like our previous youngsters who’ve made to premier league clubs.

I hope it is a good move for him. In the little I know of him away from football he seems a decent young man and pretty humble. And getting him back on loan is a very wise move as has happened before with Dele Alli and Harvey Elliott. I’m sure he will be welcomed back by the other players.
  • has it been confirmed the deal is done. keep looking but have not found any announcement yet
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Could see him being loaned back next season as well his not ready for our first team let alone a championship club. 

Which would be an issue. 
    What if he carries on doing well between now and May. He wouldn't then be any younger than players like Maatsen or John who have been signed for the first team squad. 
  • msomerton said:
    has it been confirmed the deal is done. keep looking but have not found any announcement yet
    Chelsea win the race to sign Charlton Athletic striker Mason Burstow (astamfordbridgetoofar.com)

Time to let go of them straws you are clinging onto i'm afraid, gone, but back on loan... :(
  • edited February 2022
    Don't know if Burstow was on a contract at Maidstone? But there still might have been a gentlemans agreement that they would get "looked after" when the time came.

Wimbledon did something similar for Met Police FC, when they signed a young fullback a while back. They paid a fee when they didn't have to...1) to keep the relationship good with a "feeder club" 2) to do the right thing by a smaller club. 
  • Simonsen said:
    Don't know if Burstow was on a contract at Maidstone? But there still might have been a gentlemans agreement that they would get "looked after" when the time came.

Wimbledon did something similar for Met Police FC, when they signed a young fullback a while back. They paid a fee when they didn't have to...1) to keep the relationship good with a "feeder club" 2) to do the right thing by a smaller club. 
    I don’t think he had any contract with them, was just part of the development squad. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Could see him being loaned back next season as well his not ready for our first team let alone a championship club. 

Which would be an issue. 
    What if he carries on doing well between now and May. He wouldn't then be any younger than players like Maatsen or John who have been signed for the first team squad. 
    He isn't better than our other 3 now.  I would hope we have 4 of a similar, if not better standard, next season.  If he stayed I would want (I know what I want doesn't matter) him to be 5th choice. 

It's not the age, are they better than what we have and are they good enough to be in your squad, not as emergency use, but regular use.  Burstow would not have played if Stockley and Washington had been fit, if Davison had been good enough or Chucks had been here from the start. 
  • msomerton said:
    has it been confirmed the deal is done. keep looking but have not found any announcement yet
    Chelsea win the race to sign Charlton Athletic striker Mason Burstow (astamfordbridgetoofar.com)

Time to let go of them straws you are clinging onto i'm afraid, gone, but back on loan... :(
    Not confirmed by either club, as far as I have seen. Speculation by a Chelsea blog. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Which would be an issue. 
    He isn't better than our other 3 now.  I would hope we have 4 of a similar, if not better standard, next season.  If he stayed I would want (I know what I want doesn't matter) him to be 5th choice. 

It's not the age, are they better than what we have and are they good enough to be in your squad, not as emergency use, but regular use.  Burstow would not have played if Stockley and Washington had been fit, if Davison had been good enough or Chucks had been here from the start. 
    I totally agree, I like Aneke, Stockley and Washington and want a 4th alongside those three next season. But Burstow has 6 goals in 14 appearances, some of which are off the bench, which is pretty good going for any striker, irrespective of age. Why Burstow has been forced to play is irrelevant, he's taken the opportunity. So much so that the European Champions are signing him. If he scores 12-15 goals this season across all competitions, does that not mean he'd done enough to be one of the four next season? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Which would be an issue. 

He still would have been on the bench though (at a minimum) as he has pace and can finish, both priceless attributes
  • edited February 2022
    Simonsen said:

We signed Lucas Ness from the Met Police I think.