Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Only - January 2022 Transfer Rumours (Deadline Day p.97)

Comments

• Options
    Rotherham outbid Plymouth for leading league of Ireland striker Georgie Kelly another one gone.
    We don't have much of a track record of signing players straight from Ireland. Has there been anyone decent since Darren Randolph?
    Mark Kinsella
    Stephen Henderson
    Darren Randolph
    Seems we tend to do better in the goalkeepers  more than any other position.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Fraser was excellent last year.  The previous two years for Burton he was a decent midfielder but no where near the level of play from last year. So was last year the anomaly and has reverted back to his actual quality or was Ipswich just not a good fit
    Fraser was excellent last year, I should imagine, because MKD set up to get the best out of his abilities.

When we played them at home, Fraser was allowed to play and MKD took the points.
    Playing them away, Bowyer asked Pratley to go everywhere with Fraser and to close him out of the game. MKD couldn't function and Charlton won the game.

That's the problem when the gameplan relies on one player as the fulcrum.

But not every side has a player as brilliant as Pratley.

Right now, we certainly don't although Dobson is getting there.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Fraser was excellent last year.  The previous two years for Burton he was a decent midfielder but no where near the level of play from last year. So was last year the anomaly and has reverted back to his actual quality or was Ipswich just not a good fit
    Fraser was excellent last year, I should imagine, because MKD set up to get the best out of his abilities.

When we played them at home, Fraser was allowed to play and MKD took the points.
    Playing them away, Bowyer asked Pratley to go everywhere with Fraser and to close him out of the game. MKD couldn't function and Charlton won the game.

IRVING
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    If we were top half Premier League and Chelsea came after Burstow he would go. If they come now he will go. Money and opportunity talk in this game. If at 18 they wave 10-12k a week under his nose, incentives for his parents etc etc then who can blame him for moving on?
    But look at what he would be giving up….Leko tackling himself, Pearce tripping over his own boot laces, Famewo smashing the ball as hard as he can to no one,  Watson being so slow out of the changing room that the lights go out before he does and players doing tunnel jumps after beating the mighty Fleetwood Town….all things that you can’t put a price on. Stay in league 1 Mason - leaving the brave Papa Johns trophy 1/4 finalists for the Champions League holders is a mistake. 

And I bet Abramovich hasn’t written his own song.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS said:
    WSS said:
    "We will not be selling our good young players" or words to that effect. This is a vital test now with Burstow.

I will be absolutely gutted if he goes. 
    If he went for £20,000,000, would any of us be disappointed?  For £2,000,000, I know we all would. 
    The fee for Lookman for example was pretty decent, indeed he hasn't really progressed much since then
    He hasn't really progressed?!

You think he'd have been better off staying at Charlton? 82 appearances in the PL, 22 in the Bundesliga by the age of 24?
    Two seasons of football at 24...really,  how exhausting. By the time Billy Bonds was 21 he had played 2 plus seasons and went on to play 663 more for West Ham.
    Paul Went had played 50 for Leyton Orient by the time he was 17 and came to Charlton. 
    Alan Campbell had played 198 games by the time he was 21 !
    Likewise Mike Bailey 151 by the time he was 24,  Lennie Glover 177 by the age of 24. 
    All youth products , mostly ours . They'll had long careers too. 

82 by the cage of 24 is part time football really.
    You seem to be living under a bridge

fixed that for you
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Leuth said:
    Oggy Red said:

IRVING
    Pratley was good for us, Leuth.  I didn't like him at all in the promotion season but he had some superb games in the championship, particularly before Christmas. Limited yes, but good energy, good positional sense, versatile, gave his all.  
    Just playing my role in the grand comedy of CL
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:

He wasn't brilliant for Ipswich against us this season. 
    Fraser? So brilliant we controlled the game and won 2-0.

edit: not got my glasses on and have noticed the n't at the end of was....my bad
  • Options
    WSS said:
    WSS said:
    "We will not be selling our good young players" or words to that effect. This is a vital test now with Burstow.

If he went for £20,000,000, would any of us be disappointed?  For £2,000,000, I know we all would. 
    The fee for Lookman for example was pretty decent, indeed he hasn't really progressed much since then

You think he'd have been better off staying at Charlton? 82 appearances in the PL, 22 in the Bundesliga by the age of 24?
    Two seasons of football at 24...really,  how exhausting. By the time Billy Bonds was 21 he had played 2 plus seasons and went on to play 663 more for West Ham.
    Paul Went had played 50 for Leyton Orient by the time he was 17 and came to Charlton. 
    Likewise Mike Bailey 151 by the time he was 24,  Lennie Glover 177 by the age of 24. 

You seem to be living in the past.

And you're not adding things up.

82 in the PL, 22 in the Bundesliga and 45 games for us. 150 in total. 25 appearances per season on average since his breakthrough is pretty good.
    I looked at our own youth products.  These days young players are 'seemingly to delicate to play much. 25 a season is part time. Once every two weeks. Hardly back breaking work. Infact I played more as youth, once playing 3 times over a weekend. 
    The hoary old living in the past jibe cuts no ice here. I cannot hardly quote from the bfuture can I ?
    The players don’t seem to be moaning about playing too much these days it’s the management.  And so what?  Times change, things get better, easier, we work smarter not harder, that’s modern life.  Why would you want to run an 18 year olds legs off just so we can say “well I played 8 times a week in 1976”.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    WSS said:
    WSS said:

82 in the PL, 22 in the Bundesliga and 45 games for us. 150 in total. 25 appearances per season on average since his breakthrough is pretty good.
    I looked at our own youth products.  These days young players are 'seemingly to delicate to play much. 25 a season is part time. Once every two weeks. Hardly back breaking work. Infact I played more as youth, once playing 3 times over a weekend. 
    The hoary old living in the past jibe cuts no ice here. I cannot hardly quote from the bfuture can I ?
    When was you born then @addick1956?
    During an era when training was 3 laps round the pitch, a run up and down the terraces, followed by a sprint.
    The hard work, tactics and team building was done in the pub over a pint and a fag.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Gribbo said:
    WSS said:
    WSS said:

During an era when training was 3 laps round the pitch, a run up and down the terraces, followed by a sprint.
    The hard work, tactics and team building was done in the pub over a pint and a fag.

Sounds like being a supporter in the 80s
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Gribbo said:
    WSS said:
    WSS said:

The hard work, tactics and team building was done in the dressing room over a pint and a fag at half time. 

• Options
    Whatever happened to that Wigan midfielder we were after last summer - the one it was said failed a medical here?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Whatever happened to that Wigan midfielder we were after last summer - the one it was said failed a medical here?

Solomon-Otabor? Signed for St Johnstone in scotland
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Viv Solomon-Otabor?  Just left St Johnstone after a short term contract expired. Did manage 7 games in 6 weeks though......

Could sign outside of the window. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:

Viv Solomon-Otabor?  Just left St Johnstone after a short term contract expired. Did manage 7 games in 6 weeks though......

Could sign outside of the window. 
    Sounds promising.

I heard our Meds team are worried about a drop off in client numbers.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Viv Solomon-Otabar- dodgy knee, so no thanks. With tighter squad restrictions coming in next year, we need to give greater importance to recruiting players that can last a season.