Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Only - January 2022 Transfer Rumours (Deadline Day p.97)

Comments

• Options
    CafcSCP said:
    Wonder how many of those calling for Twine, 1 knew of him before this summer or would have moaned if we had signed him?

This gets said quite a lot and I’m genuinely curious why. Is it because most fans don’t keep up with the league or listen to many football podcasts? 

Scott Twine was universally raved about last season, 10+ goals and assists for two rubbish teams. If you have any sort of digital presence then you’ve probably seen some of his wonder goals.

The fact MK Dons got him means we had every chance if we had tried, which is a shame. Hopefully we can pick up the next one. 
    Why if he went to MK Dons would  he have chosen Charlton instead. We could have approached Eisa but didn't.  There is a reason for both.  We under rated them, could not afford them, didn't  notice them or they gave us the elbow.
    Well of course it’s one of those 4, congratulations on covering every angle. But why wouldn’t he have chosen Charlton over MK Dons? Find it hard to believe we couldn’t have competed with then financially and expectations were fairly high. 
    Your sarcastic comment  becomes you. Naturally I covered every angle so some bloke like you , anxious to make a dig, could not say I hadn't covered every angle.  
    Anyway it isn't hard to believe we couldn't compete because Twine and Eisa went to MK Dons and they paid a biggish fee for Eisa to Peterborough , which, I believe,  we wouldn't meet. 
    I agree on Eisa, no way would we have paid that fee when we had signed Stockley and fully planned to play 1 up top. Not sure you’re correct on Twine. 
    Maybe he wasn't near the top of any list we had. I think there is a budget but it is not that big a budget. I can also understand not signing Marcus Browne if reports are correct . What is odd is Charlton not considering Kyle Dempsey unless Jackson doesn't rate him.
    Sounds to me more like he/Gillingham aren't considering Charlton rather than the other way round. 
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic closed for the season,
    please come back next year!!🙄☹️😤
    Waste of a whole season.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    SLP said we pulled out of the Browne deal, Pete O’Rourke is claiming we were beaten by Oxford. Great to have stories for both the optimists and pessimists :)
    Could be the same thing. Eg - Oxford beat Charlton by offering better terms, so Charlton pulled out
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Waste of a whole season.
    We have had 3 or more consecutive poor transfer windows. 
    We must do much better this coming summer otherwise it's groundhog day. 
  • Options
    Hate to say it though, but there is no perfect formula to make it work - We can try to do better, think we need to stop looking at "names", but unfortunately there is never a guarantee. 
  • Options
    I’ve been told directly we aren’t in for Dempsey as we think we can get better - assume that’s Fraser.

But offering them half what paid to me shows were aren’t serious about getting him. We’re just trying ‘get value’ again. Feels like the derisory Dempsey from the summer.

Personally I’d love to get Dempsey in
  • Options
    Very true! 

Reality is MK are a very well run club top to bottom and are deservedly well ahead of us on and off the pitch.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Waste of a whole season.
    Last winter we had Stockley,  Millar and Jaiyesimi.  That was 3 windows ago. Nobody thought  that bad then an I still don't. 
    The last three windows you could argue were better than the any we’ve had in recent years, there’s been some absolute dud signings granted, but some on here sound like they’d prefer we still had Roland or ESI who would sell the clubs arse for the right price.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    paulfox said:
    Waste of a whole season.
    Last winter we had Stockley,  Millar and Jaiyesimi.  That was 3 windows ago. Nobody thought  that bad then an I still don't. 
    The last three windows you could argue were better than the any we’ve had in recent years, there’s been some absolute dud signings granted, but some on here sound like they’d prefer we still had Roland or ESI who would sell the clubs arse for the right price.  
    I think most of the signings made sense at least. Of course not all have worked out, but I don't think we've signed one player (possibly excluding the rushed end to the window when Sandgaard first come in) who I immediately thought would flop. Souare was always a risk and we cocked up at left-back, but at the point of signing him we had little choice. CBT was another punt, but wasn't brought in to regularly start. Problem is that I think Dobson is probably the only one who has exceeded expectations. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Waste of a whole season.
    I think most of the signings made sense at least. Of course not all have worked out, but I don't think we've signed one player (possibly excluding the rushed end to the window when Sandgaard first come in) who I immediately thought would flop. Souare was always a risk and we cocked up at left-back, but at the point of signing him we had little choice. CBT was another punt, but wasn't brought in to regularly start. Problem is that I think Dobson is probably the only one who has exceeded expectations. 
    Fair post, we’re all experts on the signings with hindsight indeed.  I want us to sign every player mentioned like many others but at the end of the day we finally have the foundations laid to be a success eventually, albeit taking longer than we thought!
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    I thought people didn’t want Browne? No point paying over the odds for a player with a serious injury on his CV and then moaning when he gets injured in March.
    Come on, you know full well that now someone else has gone for him, we are a basket case of a club who lost out again. Regardless of whether he was actually wanted or not. 
    We net spent more on transfer fees than any other league one side in the last window. 
  • Options
    Think the club are a shambles at the moment, they need to come clean about the Marcus Browne deal otherwise it looks like the club set themselves up to be beaten by Oxford. I Think we have a poor team on the recruitment side and as such should consider dismantling and get rid. It been going on too long and the club will lose season ticket sales for next year if they are not careful. Again just shows the sad state of affairs we are in when it comes to transfers.

Agreed I’m not renewing my 3 tickets this summer until I see some proper intent. I won’t be falling for the hyperbole again.

I think a good few are in the same boat
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Very true! 

Reality is MK are a very well run club top to bottom and are deservedly well ahead of us on and off the pitch.
    They of course own the best stadium in the bottom two divisions and considerably better than many above that. Yet many on here look down on them which is very strange as Charlton hardly own the kit basket 🧺 they store the kit on.

Should we just airbrush history and ignore the fact that they effectively stole a club from a small but incredibly loyal fan base?

No mark club, run by a comple knob head.

The ground is a souless bowl full of pseudo cinema seats. About as much atmosphere as the moon.
    Jeez let some of that hate go it’s not healthy.

Doesnt take away from the fact that the knobhead is running them very well and they are trouncing us on & off the pitch.

If they are a no mark club what are we right now. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    If Oxford want to take the risk on his ACL and pay for that upfront, then fine, if we didn’t like what we saw in the scans and wanted to structure a deal around that risk and Boro didn’t want to that, then fine, we move on. 

Agreed, but with the nagging concern that maybe Oxford is now a more enticing prospect for a player than Charlton
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    It's entirely possible that after 2 successful loan spells at Oxford, both under Robinson, Marcus Browne would prefer to go back somewhere he knows, and where he's liked, than a new club and manager.

It's the same logic that would make us far more attractive to Jonathan Leko than say Pompey
    Can you please stop giving rational arguments on here. 😔

As it is, so far Browne hasn't gone anywhere but as predicted just as his likely signing was deemed evidence of bad decision making by the club, his possible move to Oxford is now, for some of the same people, evidence of bad decision making by the club.

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Scoham said:
    SLP said we pulled out of the Browne deal, Pete O’Rourke is claiming we were beaten by Oxford. Great to have stories for both the optimists and pessimists :)
    Could be the same thing. Eg - Oxford beat Charlton by offering better terms, so Charlton pulled out
    I read (possibly on here) that we offered more than other clubs and Oxford came in only after we pulled out of the deal
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Hal1x said:
    Think the club are a shambles at the moment, they need to come clean about the Marcus Browne deal otherwise it looks like the club set themselves up to be beaten by Oxford. I Think we have a poor team on the recruitment side and as such should consider dismantling and get rid. It been going on too long and the club will lose season ticket sales for next year if they are not careful. Again just shows the sad state of affairs we are in when it comes to transfers.

I don't agree with you, the shambles at the club were over the previous few years, we are relatively well run at present in MY opinion. They don't need to come clean, or justify why they didn't sign Browne, there may be all sorts of reasons. We can have an opinion, but thats all it is.
    This 100%

We are slowly rebuilding a sustainable club.

All well and good saying we’ve spent more than this club or why aren’t we competing with this club. Truth is there is no magic wand to fix years of ineptitude and negligence. Our off field appointments have been sensible and we’ve had mixed success in transfers. The biggest two mistakes for this season was leaving the business too late in the summer and leaving Adkins in place too long. 

Sunderland have proved no one has a god given right to get out of this league and it may take time. We don’t need to micro analyse every little decision.
    Didn't one directly influence the other?

IMO if we had got the recruitment better, it will never be 100% right, Adkins would probably be under a bit of pressure to get us in the play offs now, as a minimum.

Adkins didn't look like a fish up a tree with Millar, JFC et al last season.  Did he become a bad manager over the summer or did the squad become considerably worse? 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Waste of a whole season.
    Smith and Schwartz kind of off set those though. Still a poor window
  • Options

Told you the deal was off because they could not agree the way the transfer was going to be paid .. nothing to do if medical etc etc …..