Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• Sage said:
    Talal said:
    Sage said:
    To be clear, I haven't once said about there being a risk to Aneke's career, but the whole situation is sad as clearly his body has let him down a lot over the last 7/8 months.

We don't know anything until the scan is done and results are in.

Let's give him the support and know we are on his side and not get on his back when it's him that is suffering the most. Doesn't matter how much you get paid, he wants to play and make the most of his career. No one wants to be breaking down often and receiving abuse for it.
    Then why hasn't he lost some weight/muscle? His current physique clearly isn't working for him and hasn't for some time. 
    He’s extremely muscular but again there is no evidence to our knowledge that it is causing him harm. That’s speculation by fans. There may be a case of that, but we just don’t know.
    Worth trying though don't you think? 
  • Our football science fitness coach should sort out this problem... our yeh, I forgot 😁
  • Talal said:
    Sage said:
    Talal said:
    Sage said:
    To be clear, I haven't once said about there being a risk to Aneke's career, but the whole situation is sad as clearly his body has let him down a lot over the last 7/8 months.

Let's give him the support and know we are on his side and not get on his back when it's him that is suffering the most. Doesn't matter how much you get paid, he wants to play and make the most of his career. No one wants to be breaking down often and receiving abuse for it.
    Then why hasn't he lost some weight/muscle? His current physique clearly isn't working for him and hasn't for some time. 
    He’s extremely muscular but again there is no evidence to our knowledge that it is causing him harm. That’s speculation by fans. There may be a case of that, but we just don’t know.
    On the say so of someone on the Internet? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    Sage said:
    Talal said:
    Sage said:

On the say so of someone on the Internet? 
    More that nothing is currently working. 
  • Management of top level clubs have often told their players to lose their 'beach body' so it's a valid suggestion. No need to corner somebody on the internet, for making a suggestion on, erm, the internet.

They're not asking for an address to post some advice into the letterbox.
  • Sage said:
    Talal said:
    Sage said:

I understand you're a qualified physio or something similar Sage is that right? Do you believe being particularly muscular is going to be detrimental to your body for football?

I've heard the idea being repeated on the forum in regards to Chuks and although he's a big fella I've never thought he looked massive, and it never seems to affect his mobility as he's always moved quickly and been capable of a good turn of pace. It just seems like a bit of an old wives tale that it's his muscular physique causing him problems rather than a weakness that could be down to a myriad of other issues. Physically he doesn't look much different in size comparatively to Haaland for example, another big unit in the same position (slightly different skill level of course haha)
  • edited February 2023
    mendonca said:
    Management of top level clubs have often told their players to lose their 'beach body' so it's a valid suggestion. No need to corner somebody on the internet, for making a suggestion on, erm, the internet.

They're not asking for an address to post some advice into the letterbox.
    Its cropped up on almost ever page of this thread.  The person that is actually professionally placed to comment has repeatedly said that there is no evidence that it is the cause, or a concern. 

The same as people advising him to retire.  A pulled hamstring became a career ending injury because someone said it was and enough people repeated it.
  • Really feel for him but he must be close to to calling it quits.
    The fella can never stay fit and clearly has underlying issues that haven't been remedied up until now.
    He's 29. Does he really need the stress and more toil of trying to get fit when we all know that even if he does get somewhere near, it won't be long before he's back in the treatment room? The more he pushes the more chance he's got of doing himself some serious damage that could carry on through his years out of the game and into old age.

He got a pretty decent deal from us I believe. Part of me hopes Sandgaard was being charitable because he knew he wouldn't last long or get anything anywhere near as good somewhere else. It just gave him a bit of security and maybe a chance to look at a career change if and inevitably when things went south quickly.
    Never like to see anyone forced out of the game from injury but Chuks has to take a serious look at things.
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Talal said:
    Sage said:

I understand you're a qualified physio or something similar Sage is that right? Do you believe being particularly muscular is going to be detrimental to your body for football?

I've heard the idea being repeated on the forum in regards to Chuks and although he's a big fella I've never thought he looked massive, and it never seems to affect his mobility as he's always moved quickly and been capable of a good turn of pace. It just seems like a bit of an old wives tale that it's his muscular physique causing him problems rather than a weakness that could be down to a myriad of other issues. Physically he doesn't look much different in size comparatively to Haaland for example, another big unit in the same position (slightly different skill level of course haha)
    Degree in Sports Science with other bits and pieces involved and experience in different areas, not specifically physio itself, hence the disappointment in lack of investment in such area when those who regard it as a priority are the ones regularly performing at the top end of their respective divisions.

I actually think that Chuks could potentially have an issue away from how muscular he is that influences his recurring injuries. It could be a nerve issue, it could be a weakness in a specific area which is why he's so muscular to compensate it, it could be a number of different things. We just don't know.

I wouldn't lean on the side of saying he's too muscular and it causes a problem. Simply because that's a big statement and we don't have any evidence to suggest so. I think a thorough investigation needs to happen, if it hasn't already, to understand what's causing this to keep happening. I also think a detailed list of all his previous injuries needs to be produced and looked at and see if there is a common theme or pattern and if all injuries are lower body, anterior or posterior etc.

Either way, he needs the support to get through this and I hope he receives it from all sides, including us.
    Thanks for your reply, agree with all that you said and roughly equates to what I think, based on no technical knowledge/training myself.

I was also curious whether you believed it is possible to be "too muscular/bulky" in football? And whether you thought it would cause a greater chance of injury risk? Again this is relating back to the view that Chuks is too big and 'spends too much time in the gym' that I personally don't agree with.

Obviously you wouldn't want to look like Eddie Hall, and Akinfenwa probably took the physique focus too far (though still had a pretty successful career all things considered)
  • Sponsored links:

• Talal said:
    Sage said:
    Talal said:
    Sage said:

Let's say he loses muscle in his glutes, quads and calves, reducing the tightness in his hamstrings, he could become more susceptible to other injuries like quad strains or calf strains. 

The body is a machine the parts have to be balanced. It sounds to me like he needs to work on the elasticity of his muscles and tendons, not to lose them. 
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Talal said:
    Sage said:

Degree in Sports Science with other bits and pieces involved and experience in different areas, not specifically physio itself, hence the disappointment in lack of investment in such area when those who regard it as a priority are the ones regularly performing at the top end of their respective divisions.

I actually think that Chuks could potentially have an issue away from how muscular he is that influences his recurring injuries. It could be a nerve issue, it could be a weakness in a specific area which is why he's so muscular to compensate it, it could be a number of different things. We just don't know.

I wouldn't lean on the side of saying he's too muscular and it causes a problem. Simply because that's a big statement and we don't have any evidence to suggest so. I think a thorough investigation needs to happen, if it hasn't already, to understand what's causing this to keep happening. I also think a detailed list of all his previous injuries needs to be produced and looked at and see if there is a common theme or pattern and if all injuries are lower body, anterior or posterior etc.

Either way, he needs the support to get through this and I hope he receives it from all sides, including us.
    Thanks for your reply, agree with all that you said and roughly equates to what I think, based on no technical knowledge/training myself.

I was also curious whether you believed it is possible to be "too muscular/bulky" in football? And whether you thought it would cause a greater chance of injury risk? Again this is relating back to the view that Chuks is too big and 'spends too much time in the gym' that I personally don't agree with.

Obviously you wouldn't want to look like Eddie Hall, and Akinfenwa probably took the physique focus too far (though still had a pretty successful career all things considered)

He did alright?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Talal said:
    Sage said:

He did alright?
    Exactly, Haaland's bigger than him too I think.  Always thought it was a very outdated viewpoint whenever I saw it on here.
  • I only said it as nothing is working for him at the moment so may be worth a shot, didn't realise anyone would be so precious about it. Anyway, seems he's with us for some time so let's hope something changes whatever it may be. 
  • It is unlikely to work but the next stage is surely to get in as many opinions as possible and sort out a plan with the player for next season.
  • Talal said:
    I only said it as nothing is working for him at the moment so may be worth a shot, didn't realise anyone would be so precious about it. Anyway, seems he's with us for some time so let's hope something changes whatever it may be. 
    Sorry I didn't mean to dig you out personally but so far collectively people said:

He needs to retire
    He has a mental health issue
    It's all psychological 
    He needs to loose weight
    He needs to be paid off
    He has an underlying heart issue
    He should get an insurance payout

All with zero supporting evidence and I have probably missed afew.  

People offer an opinion then others repeat it as fact.  

I am going to stay off this thread because its worse than the takeover thread for it.
  • Muscle never hindered Adama Traore either.

Ronaldo and Haaland have some muscle but Traore is a muscle.
  • Overall i am not sure we should be cogitating too much about another person's body. As fans all we need to talk about is that he is injured and its his hammy. Keep discussion in generalities. Have a think how you'd feel if a bunch of random fat w4nkers were talking about the durability, shape or otherwise of your flabby untoned body.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    I only said it as nothing is working for him at the moment so may be worth a shot, didn't realise anyone would be so precious about it. Anyway, seems he's with us for some time so let's hope something changes whatever it may be. 
    Sorry I didn't mean to dig you out personally but so far collectively people said:

He needs to retire
    He has a mental health issue
    It's all psychological 
    He needs to loose weight
    He needs to be paid off
    He has an underlying heart issue
    He should get an insurance payout

All with zero supporting evidence and I have probably missed afew.  

People offer an opinion then others repeat it as fact.  

I am going to stay off this thread because its worse than the takeover thread for it.
    It's fine, cheers. 

Of all the things you listed, the weight/muscle topic is the only one that offers a possible idea to help the situation. All the others are negative. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Naming 1/2 players in a league with approx 450 players registered really is not a defence case!
  • mendonca said:
    Naming 1/2 players in a league with approx 450 players registered really is not a defence case!
    Randomly making stuff up and repeating it is hardly a solid case for the prosecution either...

Where is the evidence to support such a hypothesis?
  • edited February 2023
    I agree with the following quote from a study. Once again, a personal opinion, not citing that it us fact in this specific case.

"If we gain muscle mass based on strength-resistance work in the gym without any specificity for our sport, lifting very high loads with a very limited speed of movement, we run 
    a great risk of muscle injury when we try to perform those fast and explosive actions characteristic of football."

• There is one aspect that lends itself to the theory that Aneke takes time to get fit and in trying to do that he has ended up getting injured. From what I can see, he has missed the start in five of his last eight seasons and that doesn't include the one season when he missed the first game for us. He didn't play the first 5, 25, 12, 8 and 16 matches respectively in those five seasons. 

Aneke admitted at MK Dons that he has had a history of injuries which is why when he had that one very good season he was so happy. The same thing happened with is in '20/'21 for us when he played such a big part. However, he has only managed to start 167 League games in an 11 year career, so approximately 15 per season, but, clearly, most of those were earlier in his career as he's only started 19 in the last three and a half years. He is in some sort of vicious circle where he can't push his body to get fit enough for 90 minutes for fear of breaking down but because he can't push his body to really stretch those muscles, he ends up pulling something when he does get on.

We can't pretend that we didn't know about this issue when we re-signed him. Bowyer only gave him one start at Birmingham and we even agreed to take one of their loanees that he didn't want such was our desperation to cement the deal. What I do find interesting is that JJ started him in all of his first four League games back with us. So why did JJ/we suddenly believe that he was capable of doing that because there were no signs prior to that time that he could and he has only started one League game since?     
  • Maybe a permanent management contract is the answer to that final question.  

Good analysis btw!
  • edited February 2023
    Aneke's fitness woes predate his gym bro physique. It may or may not help his situation. But it's highly unlikely to be the route cause.

If he doesn't stretch very well etc. Then at almost 30 years old I don't see that suddenly changing really. Unfortunate.

• The fact we had managed to keep Innis fit for most of the season I was actually optimistic we could keep Aneke fit, but apparently not the case. 

• Time to move on, for all concerned 
  • Likely out for rest of the season according to Dean Holden on Charlton TV.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!