Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Cheltenham v Charlton | 3pm Saturday 15th January

Comments

• Options
    First fix the defence. Too many sloppy goals being conceded. We are too often caught on the counter attack with our wingers/wing backs very easily dispossessed. 
  • Options
    First fix the defence. Too many sloppy goals being conceded. We are too often caught on the counter attack with our wingers/wing backs very easily dispossessed. 
    And the sided cb's too far up the pitch. They should imo only be around the opposition's 18 yard box for dead ball situations. I'm sick of Clare and Famewo being well out of position at the same time for counterattacks.
  • Options
    I think we need to build a team for next season at this point
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Going by the Gallen interview its partly what we're trying to do - I still think that we should stop expecting another mass exodus of players this summer - Do hope we stop being able to give additional options on contracts to older players. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Croydon said:
    SDAddick said:

If we keep the 3-5-2 I think Purrington needs to come back in at LWB, even if he hasn't been at his best in recent weeks. We just don't have any better options on the left. Leko needs to start at RWB. He's inconsistent, but he has the highest upside of our attacking options on that side. 

I love Leko but he doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the starting line up after his performances this week.
    I kind of agree but between DJ, CBT, Matthews, and Leko, who does deserve that RWB shirt? I mean arguably no one. My thinking is Leko at least has a moment of magic going forward that the others don't, even if some of the others are more consistent. 
    CBT the only one who's put in a decent cross from them all. Granted he's only done one per match, but still the most!
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Going by the Gallen interview its partly what we're trying to do - I still think that we should stop expecting another mass exodus of players this summer - Do hope we stop being able to give additional options on contracts to older players. 
    Can we hope for it though? 

None of these players are good enough. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Too many changes, too many players off form and without Washington and Stockley the team really don't know how to play without them. The work those two do, not only in being a threat but their hold up play is sadly missed and until they return we will struggle. 
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Can we hope for it though? 

None of these players are good enough. 
    Can hope for it - But I've felt for a while that people should be braced for disappointment if they dont get it. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Something stinks with the group of players, I dont know precisely what but either they are brainless or have decided they now don't want to play for Jacko 

I've got very little attachment to any of them and the lack of desire to be first to the ball today is something I cant ever accept. 

Point and a last minute equaliser was nice but that formation wasn't working today, we needed the numbers in midfield. 352 is often only a shuffle away from becoming a 442 diamond as generally one wing back will be a full back bombing on and the other will be a winger who can do the defensive stuff but really its Clare playing as a narrow full back

I dont like change for changes sake but we have to go back to outnumbering sides in midfield 
    Are you blaming the players for not playing for Jackson, or Jackson for setting us up badly?

• Options
    There is nothing better than a last minute away goal nicking undeserved points (especially after the joke smoke in the home end).  But….. that was shocking.   Not been to many aways this season - performance felt on a level with Wycombe away.  We’ve got the players but they seemed to have stopped operating as a team.  On the train and on the beer, so happy for now but something needs to change
  • Options

"Jackson made five changes from the side beaten at Crewe in midweek and was asked if he had also pondered a change in formation for the visit to Gloucestershire.

“I’ve been thinking about a lot of things,” he added.

“It’s easy to think after a couple of defeats you rip it up and start again. That’s not the way I go about my work. I believe in what I’m doing. I know the lads believe in it. When it’s implemented well, you see the things we’re trying to do. Today, for whatever reason, it didn’t happen. Individual performances weren’t good enough."

Don't expect a formation change anytime soon. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Short journey home but still feels like a wasted afternoon.  We were shockingly bad, what has happened to them??  Clare played like a park footballer, Leko has gone backwards and the whole team just seem drained of confidence.  The standard of football played was just so poor and the behaviour of some of our fans was worse. Miserable afternoon only slightly cheered by a last minute goal and meeting some friendly Lifers who were standing behind us. It can only get better...can't it???
  • Options
    I know the defence has started to look a bit dodgy but I think if we get more clinical upfront it will help the rest of the team.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Something stinks with the group of players, I dont know precisely what but either they are brainless or have decided they now don't want to play for Jacko 

I've got very little attachment to any of them and the lack of desire to be first to the ball today is something I cant ever accept. 

Point and a last minute equaliser was nice but that formation wasn't working today, we needed the numbers in midfield. 352 is often only a shuffle away from becoming a 442 diamond as generally one wing back will be a full back bombing on and the other will be a winger who can do the defensive stuff but really its Clare playing as a narrow full back

I dont like change for changes sake but we have to go back to outnumbering sides in midfield 
    Are you blaming the players for not playing for Jackson, or Jackson for setting us up badly?

Blame for me always starts on the pitch, players were not showing anywhere near enough desire to win the ball and dominate 50/50s. 

My point about the formation is that it only works when its used to overload midfield and it wasn't today, Matthews was off the pace and doesn't have the intent to get forward. He's a decent full back but whereas Purrington understood part of that job is getting forward and attacking the back post none of our other defensive full backs get it 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Carter said:

Blame for me always starts on the pitch, players were not showing anywhere near enough desire to win the ball and dominate 50/50s. 

My point about the formation is that it only works when its used to overload midfield and it wasn't today, Matthews was off the pace and doesn't have the intent to get forward. He's a decent full back but whereas Purrington understood part of that job is getting forward and attacking the back post none of our other defensive full backs get it 
    I have to say I disagree with you here. I think the blame starts off the pitch, and on the training ground. I don’t think desire has anything to do with our poor performance today.

I personally feel if we had a team that were more comfortable, better on the ball, and had more of a game plan then to either hit it long, or to get it out to the wing to be easily pressed, then we wouldn’t have been nearly as poor today.

Instead we are so predictable that every time we got the ball Cheltenham knew exactly which areas to press and when. We play, and have done for a long time, really turgid, slow and predictable football.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Is "center fowards" going to be Jackson's "center backs"?

That doesnt sound good about Jayden.  Sounds like might be two weeks might be a long time.