Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Cheltenham v Charlton | 3pm Saturday 15th January

Comments

• Options

A big thank you to the 1,519 travelling Addicks for keeping us going until the end this afternoon. Immense as always 

imageimage
  • Options
    Pleased for Morgan as he gets a lot of shit and tbh, its been justified a fair amount but today he really wanted it and tried to get on the ball. Not sure why Dobson is getting low marks, cant do all the defending AND midfield work himself but still played well.

Clares worst game in a Charlton shirt by a mile. Lee holds onto the ball too long and it seems like he picks the wrong pass more often than not, if we could play a system that doesnt include him for a couple of games, I think we should try it. 

Burstow is going to be a star and again, the low marks seem harsh for a player who had little to no service despite constantly making runs behind defenders and our players not having the ability to see it.

Hendo should be doing better with the save that led to the goal, push out wide and never back into play.

CBT made an impact I thought but they 2-3 players on him like a shot when he got on the ball!

Thought there number 10 was a handful, thats the kind of player we are missing. There number 9 was a complete bellend. Cheltenham looked like a team who played for each other and ultimately wanted it more than us.

Drastic improvement is needed going forward. The team as a whole are capable of better as shown against Ipswich, Plymouth etc. 

Lastly, welcome back Chucks...missed you man!

Think we need to get Lee further forward somehow and have someone with Dobson to try play out, Lee is meant to be the link up player and needs to play quick with limited touches. 

Their number 10 is Alfie May who was born in Gravesend played for Chatham, Erith & Hythe before moving to Donny.  Probably someone we have looked at in the past. 
  • Options
    That was as bad as it gets , we some how manage to sink further and further in to shitness .
    Everyone to a man managed a sloppy pass to the oppo at some point and some more than others obviously .
    Its real basics and we can’t even get that right .
    Who out of that lot would I be gutted if they weren’t there next season Chucks and that’s it … give it a few weeks and he’ll be injured and shit 
    what a fucking shambles we are , at least Morgan tried to push forward and be positive even if there’s no options or ability to do so with any threat … Dobson huffs and puffs and great energy but a crab of a footballer and of course we do need water carriers but these are shit third tier teams who are pissing all over us ffs 
    as for the defence , useless 

42% 7th-12th
    53%   13th-20th
    5%      Oh we’ve got some new grounds to visit next season , fuck off 
  • Options
    It’s hard to describe how awful that was to watch, reminiscent of Dagenham & Redbridge away a few years ago, it was just not good enough.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    HMS piss the league is back on. 
    I thought HMS Midtable Obscurity had come in to harbour. 
  • Options
    Painful.
    Mid table this season and I dont think it will be much better next season.
  • Options
    Matthews offered nothing, Leko even less.

Burstow was constantly making runs for balls over the top, the person with the ball wasn’t looking up and didn’t see him. Once is forgivable, multiple times is inexcusable. 
  • Options
    I don’t really see how our wing backs are really meant to offer anything, when we have a static midfield, two blokes standing on the defensive line up front, and such an obvious way of playing that every time they get the ball they have two players on them straight away. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure what to say about this team now. Really thought even back in the summer we would compete at the top end of the table. Dobson is the fast becoming the only player I want to see at the club next season. Gutted. 
  • Options
    JJ seems to be struggling with this set of players in the same way that LB and NA did. I'm not clear what the way forward is at present?

Powell esque clear out and £3-4m rebuild. 
  • Options
    AddickRam said:
    Pleased for Morgan as he gets a lot of shit and tbh, its been justified a fair amount but today he really wanted it and tried to get on the ball. Not sure why Dobson is getting low marks, cant do all the defending AND midfield work himself but still played well.

Clares worst game in a Charlton shirt by a mile. Lee holds onto the ball too long and it seems like he picks the wrong pass more often than not, if we could play a system that doesnt include him for a couple of games, I think we should try it. 

Burstow is going to be a star and again, the low marks seem harsh for a player who had little to no service despite constantly making runs behind defenders and our players not having the ability to see it.

Hendo should be doing better with the save that led to the goal, push out wide and never back into play.

CBT made an impact I thought but they 2-3 players on him like a shot when he got on the ball!

Thought there number 10 was a handful, thats the kind of player we are missing. There number 9 was a complete bellend. Cheltenham looked like a team who played for each other and ultimately wanted it more than us.

Drastic improvement is needed going forward. The team as a whole are capable of better as shown against Ipswich, Plymouth etc. 

Think we need to get Lee further forward somehow and have someone with Dobson to try play out, Lee is meant to be the link up player and needs to play quick with limited touches. 

Their number 10 is Alfie May who was born in Gravesend played for Chatham, Erith & Hythe before moving to Donny.  Probably someone we have looked at in the past. 
    Think we should look at him. So much more dynamic than anything we have at the moment, especially when you mention link up play. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    JJ seems to be struggling with this set of players in the same way that LB and NA did. I'm not clear what the way forward is at present?

Simply the squad or the management team as well? Something seems pretty flawed in the club at present.

I'm not confident of our ability to recruit in terms of ability and personality? I feel little or no attachment to any of these players.

Powell inherited an awful squad from Parkinson and struggled with them even more than Parky. It seems unlikely we'll be able to rebuild in the same way.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    "I look back at the Crewe game where I thought we were dominant for large parts" - what game was he watching? We were absolutely awful. If Adkins had said that he'd be getting crucified.
    Agree. Reading those comments I think he’s delusional.
    I agree with Jacko, first 20-30 mins we were dominant and got into strong attacking positions(...but without getting a shot away). That hold on the game was lost when in an attempt to play out from defence one of our defenders passed out to a closely marked midfielder... they got possession, and suddenly they became more confident and our confidence quickly evaporated.Then we went into a passage of play lacking in quality determination or organisation.We also came back into the game for the last 20mins through tenacity or maybe they we trying to hang on to their lead and dropped back. Total 40-50 mins.
    That is approx. 50% of the game. A large part.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    "I look back at the Crewe game where I thought we were dominant for large parts" - what game was he watching? We were absolutely awful. If Adkins had said that he'd be getting crucified.
    Agree. Reading those comments I think he’s delusional.
    I agree with Jacko, first 20-30 mins we were dominant and got into strong attacking positions(...but without getting a shot away). That hold on the game was lost when in an attempt to play out from defence one of our defenders passed out to a closely marked midfielder... they got possession, and suddenly they became more confident and our confidence quickly evaporated.Then we went into a passage of play lacking in quality determination or organisation.We also came back into the game for the last 20mins through tenacity or maybe they we trying to hang on to their lead and dropped back. Total 40-50 mins.
    That is approx. 50% of the game. A large part.
     vs.Crewe
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

We have a lot more of the current squad under contract for next season than what Powelly inherited. How do you propose to get round that issue?
  • Options
    I think HMS Relegation Fight is going full steam ahead. Fifth bottom Morecombe are six points behind with a game in hand. If all those below won their games in hand we’d  be fifth bottom. Lose to Fleetwood on Saturday and they leapfrog above us. Don’t think we should be drawn into this ‘we are too good to go down malarkey’. And to think some are still talking about the play offs.
  • Options
    I think HMS Relegation Fight is going full steam ahead. Fifth bottom Morecombe are six points behind with a game in hand. If all those below won their games in hand we’d  be fifth bottom. Lose to Fleetwood on Saturday and they leapfrog above us. Don’t think we should be drawn into this ‘we are too good to go down malarkey’. And to think some are still talking about the play offs.
    We are in a relegation battle, but lets be realistic the teams below us will not win all their games in hand 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

We have a lot more of the current squad under contract for next season than what Powelly inherited. How do you propose to get round that issue?
    Not really, we have enough OOC to make a massive difference. 

Washington
    Purrington
    Pearce
    Watson
    Davison 
    Souare 
    Inniss
    Gunter
    Matthews
    Henderson

Plus Lee and Fanewo

That's 12.....

It wasn't the Bover, Pope, Smith, Alonso, Euall etc that won us the league under Powell was it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AddickRam said:

Think we should look at him. So much more dynamic than anything we have at the moment, especially when you mention link up play. 
    I know a few people who know him, he was out with “an injury “ whilst at Donny, after tests at the training ground.
  • Options
    I'm genuinely at a loss with how to try and justify the last few performances, a few short weeks ago I was confident that we would reach playoffs as a minimum and went as far too say we would lose another 3 games all season ! Now it is a completely different outlook, how a team that looked so good can morph into one so bad is beyond me.
    It isnt even a case that the players dont care because you can see from their reaction to our goal yesterday that they obviously do ! Maybe they are trying too hard ?
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I'm genuinely at a loss with how to try and justify the last few performances, a few short weeks ago I was confident that we would reach playoffs as a minimum and went as far too say we would lose another 3 games all season ! Now it is a completely different outlook, how a team that looked so good can morph into one so bad is beyond me.
    It isnt even a case that the players dont care because you can see from their reaction to our goal yesterday that they obviously do ! Maybe they are trying too hard ?
    Well exactly. I’ve mentioned it a couple of times recently, but it does feel like many fans of many football clubs do always fall down this trope when their team are underperforming or not doing well. 

Is the team playing with the intensity and pace that they did when JJ was caretaker? Certainly not, but they were always not going to, and keeping up that level of intensity across all sports is unsustainable. It’s nothing to do with not ‘caring’.

The issue is now we need skill, ability and effective tactics and style of play to help carry us through games, and at the moment it feels like we have none of that.

To many players making poor decisions, to many patterns of play which are easy to defend against. It would be nice to watch us play a game where we have a dynamic and interchanging front line which allows us to play through the middle of the park.
  • Options
    Chuks Aneke will make a big difference to the side (if he can play most of the games). 

He may even be an option to play behind Stockley and Washington at some point. A position where he could drive with the ball. 

Get the goalie back, get a settled back three again and we should pick up enough points at home to be safe. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    They are at best a mid table team. The money spent on them and the time to plan for this season they should have been a top 6 team
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Talk of "get players back from injuries and we should be safe" is so depressing. Clearly the new owner, new manager, bounce, is no guarantee for success, despite this being the default for fans when things on the pitch are woeful. In all likelihood, most of our players (when we either don't renew their contracts or sell them - laugh) will go on to have successful careers elsewhere. Sadly they are not showing it is likely to happen at Charlton. As mentioned a Powell esque clear out without 15 new players between Jan and September is unlikely. Not sure of the economics, but if tight arse could bank roll a squad overhaul, surely our rock star footbal fan can. But will he? Not knocking Thomas, he's saved us and is still learning what football club ownership is all about. I genuinely believe that he's doing what he thinks will bring success, AND will be as disappointed as we are, with the on pitch aspects of the club. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Well exactly. I’ve mentioned it a couple of times recently, but it does feel like many fans of many football clubs do always fall down this trope when their team are underperforming or not doing well. 

Is the team playing with the intensity and pace that they did when JJ was caretaker? Certainly not, but they were always not going to, and keeping up that level of intensity across all sports is unsustainable. It’s nothing to do with not ‘caring’.

The issue is now we need skill, ability and effective tactics and style of play to help carry us through games, and at the moment it feels like we have none of that.

To many players making poor decisions, to many patterns of play which are easy to defend against. It would be nice to watch us play a game where we have a dynamic and interchanging front line which allows us to play through the middle of the park.
    They run around for 90 minutes, looked delighted when we scored, looked gutted when we conceded.

Very rarely over the last 18 haven't they done that, which to be honest is the absolute bare minimum.

What they are now also doing is doing a lot of stuff half heartedly, including the decision making.  How many people were convinced Adkins told them to play hoof ball, how many are now accusing Jackson of the same?

They don't pass with conviction, tackle with conviction, put their head in where it hurts, throw themselves at half chances.  Those things add up, quickly.

How many of our players would Crewe and Cheltenham love to have if they could afford them?  Probably all of them to be really honest.  Do the fundamentals right and we win both those games 9 out of 10 times. 

Collectively our players lack bollocks and respect for themselves, their team mates, the manager and us.  

I didn't think that Jackson would get such a good tune out of them as he did.  I didn't think sacking Adkins would solve all our ills.  But what I did think is the players wouldn't hang him out to dry, he was basically their choice! 

• Options
    I really don't think it's attitude, it's more how much this team relies on two forwards who are missing through injury. Up until the Plymouth game everyone was talking about reaching the play offs, since that game we have scored two goals in five games and Chuk's has one of those. If players think that they cannot capitalise on their good play up to the box then the confidence ebbs away pretty fast. The return of Stockley and Washington with the option of Chuk's will see a return to form. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Simply the squad or the management team as well? Something seems pretty flawed in the club at present.

I'm not confident of our ability to recruit in terms of ability and personality? I feel little or no attachment to any of these players.

Powell inherited an awful squad from Parkinson and struggled with them even more than Parky. It seems unlikely we'll be able to rebuild in the same way.
    I always thought it was crazy that Parky got the job after a terrible spell of results as caretaker manager

But similarly, he was really unlucky to be sacked, as Powell (other than brief managerial bounce) did worse with the same group of players that had been strengthened with the addition of BWP
  • Options
    It's an odd psychology, in that big clubs in mid table are always seen as being potential promotion challengers, whereas smaller clubs are seen as having a good gap to the relegation places.

The Cheltenham programme started their analysis of us by saying that we'll be hoping we haven't left it too late to mount a playoff bid, when they would never have said that about their own side, despite them having 1 point more than us