Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Cheltenham v Charlton | 3pm Saturday 15th January

Comments

• Options
    Got home from the game 30 mins ago. Spent most of the journey wondering how we got a point out of that. Total crock of unadulterated sh1t. I have no idea what tune Jacko is trying to get them to play, but today was all the wrong notes in the wrong order. Too many of them clearly didn't know what their job was, while Cheltenham were the opposite. Limited but far more effective, and should have won by 5 or 6 - their chances were that good.

Hendo should have done better with the goal, especially after Crewe (surely in all the keeper drills they practice turning shots out for a corner rather than back into play?), but made some good saves apart from that so I exempt him from criticism. But the rest? Bloody hell. Chuks at least showed some of what we've been missing and Burstow tried hard, but I feel sorry for him in this team. The main other takeaway is that Purrington is the only viable left wing-back we have right now. DJ or CBT? Just no.

Jacko really needs to fundamentally rethink his approach, starting with whether this formation really suits his players. It really isn't clear what we are trying to be - we have no identity and it just isn't good enough right now given the quality of the squad. If he doesn't, we're going to spend the rest of the season looking down and not up. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Mike said:
    Didn’t look like it at the game. Looking at the highlights I think it hit the top of the stansion, not the bar.
    shirty5 said:
    Mike said:
    Didn’t look like it at the game. Looking at the highlights I think it hit the top of the stansion, not the bar.
    Hit the top of the bar
    Should’ve have gone to Specsavers Evesham 😉 
  • Options
    Formation change time.
  • Options
    Was at the match - long day, thanks to my Son and Daughter coming home at 5am this morning and waking me up - awful performance - but (unlike my 2 mates who left at 90 mins) I saw the equaliser - never dull being an Addick ……
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Just got home, not much to say that has not been said already, poor all round and we are all so predictable. 

Positives for me chucks who looks like he can create something from nothing which with our midfield service he is going to have to, 

thought albie had a ok game and tried to drive the team forward. 

We desperately need wing backs and centre midfielders to help us out, 

• Options
    We’ve got the ball, we’ve got the ball….
  • Options
    Dreadful performance where we tried so hard to gift them the lead before they finally did so. Thought they outmuscled our team way too often apart from Aneke in the last 30 mins or so. Clare was poor, I blame Innis more then Henderson for their goal. But for all our poor play, and some of it was sooo poor, I have no sympathy for Cheltenham. Just like Wycombe, they spent most of the second half taking their time for throws, goalkicks, dropping down injured and yet still the ref only had 4 mins stoppage time? They probably would have beaten us with less negative tackticks.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I think we are now in a situation where JJ probably needs to fine tune and not throw the baby out with the bath water. He needs to find out who he wants for next season and who he doesn't want and he needs the space to do that. I would say that if a part of the engine is not working, it can affect the whole engine and it has been clear for a number of games that we have difficulty putting the ball in the back of the net. I think that is what JJ needs to work out rather than change formation at this stage and go back to square one. 

I like two up front, but the problem for JJ has been that without Washington and Stockley, the two we put out are too easy to mark out of the game. That throws a massive spanner in the works and Aneke is the sort of player who wins the 50:50s and changes that. Imagine if Davison was playing today instead of him! Today Burstow won nothing and was a passenger. It is wrong to be hard on the lad and I'm sure he has a bright future, but we carry more threat, we probably play better.

The thing is, Stockley is very effective when he dominates, but he can come up against a defender who has his number from time to time. Aneke is a good addition, but we probably need another striker with different attributes to go with these players and Washington. I want our forwards to occupy the opposition defence so that it creates more space for our midfield. And to give our wide men targets to aim for. I was watching Burstow when I could and his movement was not great. It didn't make a difference, but he seemed a bit on his heels when he should be on his toes and his energy was a bit wanting. Their defenders didn't feel the need to try to intimidate him. These are things to work on and reap the benefits maybe at some point next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shit performance, shit formation 

Wonder if the bloke got the picture he wanted of the electronic scoreboard….. 
  • Options
    Got home from the game 30 mins ago. Spent most of the journey wondering how we got a point out of that. Total crock of unadulterated sh1t. I have no idea what tune Jacko is trying to get them to play, but today was all the wrong notes in the wrong order. Too many of them clearly didn't know what their job was, while Cheltenham were the opposite. Limited but far more effective, and should have won by 5 or 6 - their chances were that good.

Hendo should have done better with the goal, especially after Crewe (surely in all the keeper drills they practice turning shots out for a corner rather than back into play?), but made some good saves apart from that so I exempt him from criticism. But the rest? Bloody hell. Chuks at least showed some of what we've been missing and Burstow tried hard, but I feel sorry for him in this team. The main other takeaway is that Purrington is the only viable left wing-back we have right now. DJ or CBT? Just no.

Jacko really needs to fundamentally rethink his approach, starting with whether this formation really suits his players. It really isn't clear what we are trying to be - we have no identity and it just isn't good enough right now given the quality of the squad. If he doesn't, we're going to spend the rest of the season looking down and not up. 
    Not knowing what the job was or choosing not to do it?

Remember at the end of Adkins there was suggestions that he didn't tell the defenders how to defend.  The two defenders in question were 29 and 31 and had played in the Premier league, champions league and internationals.  How much telling to they really need against average league 1 teams. 
  • Options
    m_2 said:
    Have a think about Jackson’s demeanour at both the pre game press conference and the Charlton TV interview immediately before the game . . . This wasn’t the confident, happy Jackson we’ve seen of late, this was a very worried and unhappy man.
     Note also that even though the second interview was after the Aneke signing he was obviously still very unhappy. 
     The team is not performing as it was and some players seem to have lost confidence. 
     What’s going on in the dressing room?
    It's hardly surprising his demeanour is worse, as in management it's all about results, and in particular results versus expectations, and the recent league results have been terrible.

ONE point from the last 4 games.
  • Options
    m_2 said:
    Have a think about Jackson’s demeanour at both the pre game press conference and the Charlton TV interview immediately before the game . . . This wasn’t the confident, happy Jackson we’ve seen of late, this was a very worried and unhappy man.
     Note also that even though the second interview was after the Aneke signing he was obviously still very unhappy. 
     The team is not performing as it was and some players seem to have lost confidence. 
     What’s going on in the dressing room?
    I'd be more worried if he was happy with where we are in the table and our recent results.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Got home now and posting after reading…
    Chuks definitely hit top of bar
    Hendo really should push saves sideways rather than forwards
    We ain’t going up
    Sad to learn there was homophobic abuse.  We are better than that. Grow up
  • Options
    Great day out , loads of laughs and few light ales, spoilt by the performance 
  • Options
    Why do we have the knack of making potentially good players turn shit overnight. Elliott Lee looked like he would end up being a real player this season but somehow in the last 6 to 8 games has turned into complete a cart horse

• Options
    I have zero faith that this squad of players, even with several quality additions, would ever have a promotion season. They don't have the grit.
  • Options
    Several changes to the team (needed) but the overall effect today was a disjointed display. It was obvious from the last few games that some had lost their right to the shirt and some freshing up was called for.

We were unable to impose ourselves on the opposition as we had done in the games before JJ was made permanent but this, I think, will return when the more regular players are back in contention and we can put out our strongest eleven again. 

Three games in six days, with no big reward, has sapped confidence and left a few tired bodies. A full week now before the next game will hopefully provide some recovery time and we may even see some new faces from the Window to add a little more strength? (Great to see Chucks back today and scoring our equaliser).  

Fleetwood had a great win against Rotherham today so it will be another tough game on Saturday. Going by our current form I would take a draw.   

• Options
    Wasn’t at the game, so will always take the opinions of those that were as seriously.  What an absolute shambles of a team we’ve cobbled together over the last few years.  Absolutely out of their depth and and would probably be more at home in the Vanarama.  F*** em all
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    801912601 said:
    Only positives today were that we sold out our ticket allocation, that Innis & Aneke managed to play a full game and we managed to score a goal to avoid a defeat.

Big negatives were the terrible performances of Henderson, Clare, DJ, Leko, CB-T and Lee. Of today’s & recent performances Henderson, Leko and Lee don’t deserve to have contracts with us next season.

DJ & CB- T don’t even look interested in playing for the team.

Don’t know what’s gone wrong within the camp but Jacko needs a big clear out of the squad and bring in new players.
    Thought CB-T had an alright game. Didn’t make as many mistakes as others did. 
  • Options
    We look so damn average.
    Defence was all over the shop, I'm presuming it may have been missing Pearce's organising ability.
    Midfield shows no creativity, Morgan was reasonable, Lee runs into dead ends every time, Dobson did his job well, Matthews isn't creative and nor was DJ.

Aneke was a threat and scored and Burstow was anonymous.

Henderson, although making a few good saves, looks past it and goes down too slow and sets up the goals for the opposition.

Clare, Iniss and Famewo all looked shaky and disorganised.
    We nicked an undeserved point and I'm pleased because it's about time.
    I was saying ages ago that when watching Henderson during the warm up at The Valley he was going down so slowly and looked so unfit. McG may not come for crosses as much as some would like but he’s a far better shot stopper than Henderson. Also I just don’t see the point in signing him. We could have kept Harness on the bench and then if McG git injured then got an emergency loan in.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    "I look back at the Crewe game where I thought we were dominant for large parts" - what game was he watching? We were absolutely awful. If Adkins had said that he'd be getting crucified.
    Agree. Reading those comments I think he’s delusional.
  • Options
    JJ seems to be struggling with this set of players in the same way that LB and NA did. I'm not clear what the way forward is at present?