Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Cheltenham v Charlton | 3pm Saturday 15th January

Comments

• Options
    I slowed down and paused, defo looks over to me
  • Options
    AddickRam said:
    Pleased for Morgan as he gets a lot of shit and tbh, its been justified a fair amount but today he really wanted it and tried to get on the ball. Not sure why Dobson is getting low marks, cant do all the defending AND midfield work himself but still played well.

Clares worst game in a Charlton shirt by a mile. Lee holds onto the ball too long and it seems like he picks the wrong pass more often than not, if we could play a system that doesnt include him for a couple of games, I think we should try it. 

Burstow is going to be a star and again, the low marks seem harsh for a player who had little to no service despite constantly making runs behind defenders and our players not having the ability to see it.

Hendo should be doing better with the save that led to the goal, push out wide and never back into play.

CBT made an impact I thought but they 2-3 players on him like a shot when he got on the ball!

Thought there number 10 was a handful, thats the kind of player we are missing. There number 9 was a complete bellend. Cheltenham looked like a team who played for each other and ultimately wanted it more than us.

Drastic improvement is needed going forward. The team as a whole are capable of better as shown against Ipswich, Plymouth etc. 

Lastly, welcome back Chucks...missed you man!

Think we need to get Lee further forward somehow and have someone with Dobson to try play out, Lee is meant to be the link up player and needs to play quick with limited touches. 

Their number 10 is Alfie May who was born in Gravesend played for Chatham, Erith & Hythe before moving to Donny.  Probably someone we have looked at in the past. 
    Think we should look at him. So much more dynamic than anything we have at the moment, especially when you mention link up play. 
    God help us!
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    AddickRam said:
    Pleased for Morgan as he gets a lot of shit and tbh, its been justified a fair amount but today he really wanted it and tried to get on the ball. Not sure why Dobson is getting low marks, cant do all the defending AND midfield work himself but still played well.

Clares worst game in a Charlton shirt by a mile. Lee holds onto the ball too long and it seems like he picks the wrong pass more often than not, if we could play a system that doesnt include him for a couple of games, I think we should try it. 

Burstow is going to be a star and again, the low marks seem harsh for a player who had little to no service despite constantly making runs behind defenders and our players not having the ability to see it.

Hendo should be doing better with the save that led to the goal, push out wide and never back into play.

CBT made an impact I thought but they 2-3 players on him like a shot when he got on the ball!

Thought there number 10 was a handful, thats the kind of player we are missing. There number 9 was a complete bellend. Cheltenham looked like a team who played for each other and ultimately wanted it more than us.

Drastic improvement is needed going forward. The team as a whole are capable of better as shown against Ipswich, Plymouth etc. 

Think we need to get Lee further forward somehow and have someone with Dobson to try play out, Lee is meant to be the link up player and needs to play quick with limited touches. 

Their number 10 is Alfie May who was born in Gravesend played for Chatham, Erith & Hythe before moving to Donny.  Probably someone we have looked at in the past. 
    Think we should look at him. So much more dynamic than anything we have at the moment, especially when you mention link up play. 
    God help us!
    Whys that Red? Not looking for an argument of course. 
  • Options
    I think the standard in L1 is much better than people are saying - a lot of teams are well coached and we look one of the more limited sides to be fair.
  • Options
    looks like it probably went over the line but you can't really blame the officials. Needed technology to be given.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Not read this thread so sorry if old news, but there is an 8 minute vlog on you tube and it clearly shows Inniss cleared header in the first half over the line. Annoying.  
    Definitely over the line
  • Options
    Doesn't look over to me, impossible to be sure either way. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Players left leg is on the line so the ball being in line with his hips would suggest it was over. 

This shot is a split second after mine, it's even further over. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Players left leg is on the line so the ball being in line with his hips would suggest it was over. 

This shot is a split second after mine, it's even further over. 

You could be right Dazzler, I still think its inconclusive at best, and our half hearted appeals from our players suggest they didn't think it was over.
  • Options
    We have goalline tech don’t we? 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Nope - Not outside the Premier League.

Imagine it'll never filter down to the rest of the Football League either as clubs must have to cover the costs themselves.
  • Options
    We woz robbed !
  • Options
    You got your glasses on? I'm 99% sure it's gone over although I agree with Muttley, hard to blame the official at game time speed it looked tight. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Bailey said:
    I really don't think it's attitude, it's more how much this team relies on two forwards who are missing through injury. Up until the Plymouth game everyone was talking about reaching the play offs, since that game we have scored two goals in five games and Chuk's has one of those. If players think that they cannot capitalise on their good play up to the box then the confidence ebbs away pretty fast. The return of Stockley and Washington with the option of Chuk's will see a return to form. 

This is my opinion:
    We won 3 home games on the trot 2-0 against decent opposition in front of a crowd.
    Without Stockley and Washington in a two the rest of the team have lost confidence.
    Aneke is a great signing and with young Bairstow learning his trade in men's football, we can use all 4 over 90+ minutes with two up top. ( We need all four fit and rotating)

Conor and Jayden not being fit have derailed our momentum and then the negativity of Charlton fans/critics just pours out as the last several years (decade ?) have been so tough and the yo-yo of not fit to wear the shirt- fit to wear the shirt and making top 6- not fit to wear the shirt is on a fucking loop and is now getting tedious.

Accept this is a season of transition.

You mean like last season? 
    and like next season will be.
  • Options
    This is probably the hardest League One ever, in terms of the number of big teams/teams with money. That doesn't excuse how shite we are, mind, but we were never going to be able to compete for the best league one players last summer, and probably not next.
    So take that expectation away and like 99% of other football fans, just hope the stars align and next year will be our year. 
  • Options
    This is probably the hardest League One ever, in terms of the number of big teams/teams with money. That doesn't excuse how shite we are, mind, but we were never going to be able to compete for the best league one players last summer, and probably not next.
    So take that expectation away and like 99% of other football fans, just hope the stars align and next year will be our year. 
    why? 
  • Options
    PWADDICK said:
    Go to 2:54 on the attachment and tell me that doesn't cross the line from Inniss
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I32Vsq8cY9w
    Apologies everyone for this - I had money on Inniss to score first so that was never going in. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    AddickRam said:

God help us!
    Signing him, would be a real lack of ambition, imho

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    why? 
    Because Wigan, Sunderland and Ipswich had much more money than us.
    Rotherham, Wycombe and Sheffield Wednesday were just relegated and so had better immediate prospects.

I think its arguable we could have been 7th in line.
  • Options
    This time next year Rodney...
  • Options
    why? 
    Rotherham, Wycombe and Sheffield Wednesday were just relegated and so had better immediate prospects.

If we can't compete with Wigan, Rotherham and Wycombe for players then I guess we better settle in League One for the forseeable. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    AddickRam said:

God help us!
    Signing him, would be a real lack of ambition, imho

Fair enough. Either way I think we certainly need similar type of player as he was a menace. 
  • Options
    why? 

If we can't compete with Wigan, Rotherham and Wycombe for players then I guess we better settle in League One for the forseeable. 
    Well we've been down here for the majority of the past 10 years so... yeah, sadly you could say it's our level.
  • Options
    I think the standard in L1 is much better than people are saying - a lot of teams are well coached and we look one of the more limited sides to be fair.
    Spot on. Compare the standard today with the standard in the Crofts and Foley (Slade) era, and I think it’s way higher now. We very rarely dominate teams in League One, and have no automatic right to be in a higher division just because of our past and our use of a large stadium (that we don’t even own). 
    This means nothing to smaller, hungry clubs, who probably see us as a soft touch these days, and a nice away day for their fans. 
    I hope we can establish ourselves as sustainable club living within our budget, as is the plan, but if we do I fear it’ll be a long slog getting out of this league. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Nope - Not outside the Premier League.

Imagine it'll never filter down to the rest of the Football League either as clubs must have to cover the costs themselves.
    Thought it was in the championship?
    Remember being at the rusty toolbox  for our last visit and we had a shot that hit the bar and was cleared off the line, most of the ball was over, but not all of it.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    Spot on. Compare the standard today with the standard in the Crofts and Foley (Slade) era, and I think it’s way higher now. We very rarely dominate teams in League One, and have no automatic right to be in a higher division just because of our past and our use of a large stadium (that we don’t even own). 
    This means nothing to smaller, hungry clubs, who probably see us as a soft touch these days, and a nice away day for their fans. 
    I hope we can establish ourselves as sustainable club living within our budget, as is the plan, but if we do I fear it’ll be a long slog getting out of this league. 
    I've seen sides in the NL who look better coached than us such as Borehamwood and Stockport and we don't look very fluid. I can't remember many games where we have dominated and we certainly don't look like a side ready to escape L1.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Thinking about the game last Saturday, our players were definitely trying. I think JJ wanted to make some changes but those were not completely successful - DJ as LWB and Matthews as RWB didn’t really work.

But the key thing for me was how hard the Cheltenham players worked. They hassled and harried us when we had the ball for
    the whole game. As a result we never got
    to settle on the ball which meant our players having to rush everything they did. 

Cheltenham also pushed out a long way every time their keeper got it, which resulted in our players always being back in our half. The other thing was that Cheltenham always managed to have around 6 players round the ball at all times - so in attack they always had lots of options and in defence they always outnumbered our defenders. 

The approach, and the fitness levels to achieve it, was almost enough to get them the three points.
  • Options
    Thinking about the game last Saturday, our players were definitely trying. I think JJ wanted to make some changes but those were not completely successful - DJ as LWB and Matthews as RWB didn’t really work.

But the key thing for me was how hard the Cheltenham players worked. They hassled and harried us when we had the ball for
    the whole game. As a result we never got
    to settle on the ball which meant our players having to rush everything they did. 

Cheltenham also pushed out a long way every time their keeper got it, which resulted in our players always being back in our half. The other thing was that Cheltenham always managed to have around 6 players round the ball at all times - so in attack they always had lots of options and in defence they always outnumbered our defenders. 

The approach, and the fitness levels to achieve it, was almost enough to get them the three points.
    I think coaching has improved a lot in the lower leagues and teams are more organised. Fewer teams are easy to beat.