Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Cheltenham v Charlton | 3pm Saturday 15th January

Comments

• Options
    Desire definitely looked to be lacking today 
  • Options
    Mike said:
    Too many players that are just happy to be here.

I don't buy into the over use of "hungry" players but I do think we have too many players that know that this is their level.  Either now, or ever.  Some of them probably also know that promotion would see them "jogged on" as well...... 

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Mike said:

I don't buy into the over use of "hungry" players but I do think we have too many players that know that this is their level.  Either now, or ever.  Some of them probably also know that promotion would see them "jogged on" as well...... 

Agreed 100%.  I always look at a squad and think “who could step up to the next level” there are probably only a couple in the squad who would be comfortable in the championship on a regular basis. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Very disappointing.
    Out-hustled and lacking ideas and confidence.
    Cool stadium name though.
    PS shocking ref. Again.  For our first yellow he didn't stop play, consult with his lino or see what happened.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Take that point after playing like that. Poor finishing and 4 good saves from Hendo gave us a chance to get that point at the end.

Inniss is just as bad as Hendo for their goal. Shocking pass which led to the shot from the fella. Henderson should do better of course, but Inniss does not fanny around with it, then there is no shot on goal.

First 15 minutes were good, but after that it was poor.

Morgan the only one that looked forward and tried to get us going.

Back 3 were dreadful. DJ not in it. Lee needs to buck his ideas up. Dobson all
    effort as usual and then he got sucked into giving the ball away

Felt a bit sorry for the front 2 as they were feeding off scraps all afternoon. 

A much needed improvement required this Saturday, otherwise Fleetwood will get 3 points based on that today.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Mike said:

Agreed 100%.  I always look at a squad and think “who could step up to the next level” there are probably only a couple in the squad who would be comfortable in the championship on a regular basis. 
    The fact they probably can't isn't the major issue, it's the fact they know they can't.

• Options

"Jackson made five changes from the side beaten at Crewe in midweek and was asked if he had also pondered a change in formation for the visit to Gloucestershire.

“I’ve been thinking about a lot of things,” he added.

“It’s easy to think after a couple of defeats you rip it up and start again. That’s not the way I go about my work. I believe in what I’m doing. I know the lads believe in it. When it’s implemented well, you see the things we’re trying to do. Today, for whatever reason, it didn’t happen. Individual performances weren’t good enough."

Don't expect a formation change anytime soon. 

That doesn't make any sense to me. Results have been bad, but performances have been worse. Surely it's worth tweaking it and trying something new? Even if it's still just til we have Stockley back
  • Options
    Incredibly poor performance.  Matthews isn't a wing back . Lee , Jayesimi, Leko and CBT aren't good enough.  Burstow not ready . It's a shambles. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So Stockley has had treatment and if he responds he could be back in two weeks.
    Hmm, fingers crossed cos those hip injuries are a lottery, ask super Clive. 
  • Options

Gallen said we now have the spine of a team, I don't really see that. 
    We’ve got a team of jellyfiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssshhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    So Stockley has had treatment and if he responds he could be back in two weeks.
    Hmm, fingers crossed cos those hip injuries are a lottery, ask super Clive. 
    I think you're doing 2+2 and getting 5. 

I read that as he's had a treatment and we'll see where he is in 2 weeks. Probably 3-5 weeks away, but I could be doing 3+2 and getting 4!
  • Options
    My stream had the Cheltenham commentators who weren't too bad to listen to apart from "Faweeemo" and 'Gibley".... They were surprised DJ got taken off and thought he looked good. I don't think he was great or anything but considering he should never be playing left wing back he did ok. 
    Back 3 all shaky especially Clare. Lee not producing enough. Burstow not in it but little supply. Aneke poor but gets the goal so can't complain. Leko abysmal. Really like Dobson. 

• Options
    Mike said:
    Didn’t look like it at the game. Looking at the highlights I think it hit the top of the stansion, not the bar.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2022
    How many of our starters were here two years ago? How many came up through our Academy? I think the answer to both is "not many." I am not surprised there is not a lot of passion for the shirt, either here or on many other clubs. Most of our players never planned to be here in the first place and most do not plan to be here in the future either. I've always believed that to do well over the long term you need a club "culture" and that starts at the top and filters down. It's been a long time since we had one in my view.
  • Options
    Mike said:
    Didn’t look like it at the game. Looking at the highlights I think it hit the top of the stansion, not the bar.
    I watched the game and it hit the top of the bar without doubt.
  • Options
    3 asks for the next game.

1. Washington up front with Aneke if fit.
    2. Elliott Lee to be rested
    3. Henderson back on the bench.
  • Options
    Elliot is at risk of being a loan to release at the moment. He's been good for us so lets not go too far but really needs to deliver the goods with goals and assists now.
  • Options
    Feel bad for all the people that are going to think that last minute goal is 'turning our season around'. 

In terms of our squad quality we are exactly where we should be, lower midtable in League One. 
    I'd like to know what our squad / wage bill is in the league. I would assume it would place us higher than 14th. Clearly wage bill doesn't equate to league position, but I think Thomas is putting his money where his mouth is, albeit at League One level.

The summer trading will be interesting. 
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited January 2022
    Cheltenham didn’t take their chances & got punished. I have seen lots of Charlton games, where this has happened & Charlton has dropped points. We benefited today. Disjointed peformance, at least run of 3 defeats has stopped. 

Maybe the opposition teams have sussed out the 352 formation. Not sure we have the players for a different formation though, without injured players returning. Lee has poor for quite a few games and looks like he needs a rest on the subs bench. Hoping Johnnie Jackson has the tactically flexibility (and the players) to adjust the formation. Glad to see Albie Morgan have a good game and he tracked back well to help the defence out. Chuks Aneke showing what he brings, with return to the team - goals. individual quality and ability to turn defeats into draws - and hopefully soon draws into wins.