Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs AFC Wimbledon | Saturday 5th February 2022

Comments

• Options
    Oxford just gone 3-2 up
    And so it finished, 3-2. Oxford score a 96th minute winner

• Options
    And that’s why we need our captain on the pitch. Nothing wrong with innis and Famewo, they even both scored, but as our two main defenders they are a liability. Pearce needs to be there to tell people what to do 
  • Options
    3 points and that's pretty much all there is to say about it.
  • Options
    @Leuth
    ‘Aneke: 5.5 didn't happen for him today, and he screwed up royally for their second goal ‘

It was Clare not Aneke. Clare was blocked. 

‘Washington: 7.5 HE FINISHED A ONE ON ONE’

You've forgotten the game where he chipped the keeper (nice finish). 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    @Leuth
    ‘Aneke: 5.5 didn't happen for him today, and he screwed up royally for their second goal ‘

Idk, the first thing I saw behind the goalscorer was Aneke with head in hands looking sheepish. Apologies if I've impugned his defending (which was otherwise tbf decent) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought we were pretty awful but we won. Mc Givilray had an off day and defensively we looked shaky.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    We won. If we defend like that at Bolton or Wigan we will get our arses handed to us.

Hope Chuck's was just taken off to make sure he is ready for Tuesday as without him we looked powderpuff up front. He wasn't brilliant, but he scares the shit out of defenders.

Shout out to DJ who I thought was excellent playing on the wrong side (for him).

I do think the wind contributed to the poor defending. In the first half especially Famewo and Innis got completely caught out by long balls which seem to take off.
  • Options
    Am still flying over the pacific and was able to watch the match all but the last 5 minutes. Incredible this technology. All wins are great wins but I was looking forward to seeing the new boy start in midfield. Shame Alby was sacrificed as I thought he was playing well but understandably new boy had to tip his toe in the water. Can’t say I saw much from the camera view and I’d like to know whether there were any glimpses that he will be a good addition?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Leuth said:
    JamesSeed said:
    @Leuth

Idk, the first thing I saw behind the goalscorer was Aneke with head in hands looking sheepish. Apologies if I've impugned his defending (which was otherwise tbf decent) 
    James is right, it's Clare who loses his man to a block. The lads in the studio seemed to have a hard time with it as well, which I found strange. It was poor defending in that we didn't have anyone else in that area, but it was also a well worked set piece. 
  • Options
    Entertaining game but dire defending from both teams.

We are so vulnerable to a big punt over the top. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Solidgone said:
    Am still flying over the pacific and was able to watch the match all but the last 5 minutes. Incredible this technology. All wins are great wins but I was looking forward to seeing the new boy start in midfield. Shame Alby was sacrificed as I thought he was playing well but understandably new boy had to tip his toe in the water. Can’t say I saw much from the camera view and I’d like to know whether there were any glimpses that he will be a good addition?
    This is your Captain speaking... please fasten your seat belts and turn off your bloody laptop @Solidgone...the game has finished 3-2..yipeeeeee B)

• Options
    Was thinking about asking McGillivary for a hand moving out best China dinner set...probably not a good idea.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Leuth said:
    JamesSeed said:
    @Leuth

James is right, it's Clare who loses his man to a block. The lads in the studio seemed to have a hard time with it as well, which I found strange. It was poor defending in that we didn't have anyone else in that area, but it was also a well worked set piece. 
    There was some kind of domino effect going on. Clare ended up with two to mark and was blocked off to make it look worse. Chuks was marking someone but he should have moved over - worry about the free man closer to the goal. He’d have had to leave his other man but in a less threatening location. 

The main problem seemed to be that Innis was marking no one - which I know we’ve been doing recently to just leave him to go attack the ball - a job Stockley usually has. They bypasses Innis though and chaos ensued from there. 
  • Options
    We won
  • Options
    Burstow getting a very mixed reaction clearly a lot of boos …. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We needed that win. Unconvincing and need to tighten up our set piece defending.

Conceding twice in 90 mins at home under Jacko is uncharacteristic (see stat below) and against better opposition we would’ve paid for it. Thankfully Wimbledon are equally poor at set piece defending so it evened out this afternoon.

(Stat: prior to today, we had only conceded twice in eight league matches at the Valley. Once against Rotherham and once against Wycombe.)
    Re your statistic. Feel free to dub that a Calumny.
  • Options
    3rd win in a row. Up to 11th and heading in the right direction.

That was our poorest performance of the three but we take it and move on. 

Let’s start by giving DJ some huge credit for the pass of the season so far! What a through ball.

We looked lost after Aneke went off which shows how important he is for us.

Great to see Albie get a couple of assists to his name. He should be really growing in confidence with that final product starting to come.

We MUST look at and work on our set piece defending for Tuesday but I trust our coaches that we will.

Let’s keep winning and see where it takes us! 
  • Options
    Just got in after dinner and straight to the match thread. 

Great result. Thanks to all the contributors. 
  • Options
    Another 7 in a row for a playoff spot.
  • Options
    Is that a Golfie or a Bristol Rovers?
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Why flying? Surely you should be aboard HMS Piss the League. 
  • Options

Form table looking much better. 
    We have to play 3 of them in our next 4 games. The 4th team before the end of the month is Oxford.

Win all 4 & the play offs are officially on.