Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs AFC Wimbledon | Saturday 5th February 2022

Comments

• Options
    Not the highest quality game but plenty of entertainment and 3 points so that will do nicely for me.
  • Options
    We made hard work if that, but their second was a good quality goal tbf. 
    3 on the spin, as we go into some tough games. 
    Well done lads. 
  • Options
    Finally got on my train from Kings cross to Halifax. Fighting with Don’s fans at London Bridge- mass brawl. 

Then joined the Hartlepool fans on route to Kings Cross. Suicide at Stevenage resulted in a big bottle neck. Massive fights, police dogs and truncheons out. Finally got on a train over an hour later. 

Apart from that. 

We won. Haha 
  • Options
    Great 3 points. 22k crowd? Sounds incredible for us in div 1 no deals on offer or did I miss something,   views please, also what was atmosphere like please, for a long distance supporter hoping to make his first valley trip next month  Great Result. Coyr!
    Nowhere near 22,000 in the ground. Felt more like 13,000. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought we were always going to win that one. 

When we went 2-1 up we had a couple of chances, the wombles had fallen apart at that stage , if we had scored again I think it could have been a cricket score. 

The equaliser gave them some hope and made us work a bit harder. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Great 3 points. 22k crowd? Sounds incredible for us in div 1 no deals on offer or did I miss something,   views please, also what was atmosphere like please, for a long distance supporter hoping to make his first valley trip next month  Great Result. Coyr!
    Nowhere near 22,000 in the ground. Felt more like 13,000. 
    Kids for a quid as well. Is it still buy one get one free for ST holders?
  • Options
    Re: freebies, I got 4 free tickets in the West Lower via work. All Greenwich Council Staff were offered them via our Intranet. That offer has been in place for the last 2 home games.

• Options
    edited February 2022
  • Options
    robroy said:
    Finally got on my train from Kings cross to Halifax. Fighting with Don’s fans at London Bridge- mass brawl. 

Then joined the Hartlepool fans on route to Kings Cross. Suicide at Stevenage resulted in a big bottle neck. Massive fights, police dogs and truncheons out. Finally got on a train over an hour later. 

Apart from that. 

We won. Haha 

I was sat on my train on a platform at King's cross for 2 hours, ended up taking 4 hours to do a 80 min trip. 
  • Options
    Burstow getting a very mixed reaction clearly a lot of boos …. 
    Can anyone not named Colin confirm this was the case? Bit weird if so, not sure why anyone would boo burstow
  • Options
    Yes as a Non Colin I can back up Colin's claim that there was a very mixed reception for Burstow with audible boos.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:
    Forget the result.
    30+  years following the club and it's the 1st time it's ever happened to me.
    Half time whistle goes , I ask the bloke sitting a couple of seats away do you mind if I come past.
    Well cant you go out the other way was his reply.
    Dont think I've seen him before, but will be an ongoing battle from now on
    Incredible - you werent in row h block wsl were you?
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    robroy said:

Apart from that. 

We won. Haha 

I was sat on my train on a platform at King's cross for 2 hours, ended up taking 4 hours to do a 80 min trip. 
    Edit from CL pedantry corner:  It wasn't an 80 minute trip, it was a 4 hour one.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Forget the result.
    30+  years following the club and it's the 1st time it's ever happened to me.
    Half time whistle goes , I ask the bloke sitting a couple of seats away do you mind if I come past.
    Well cant you go out the other way was his reply.
    Dont think I've seen him before, but will be an ongoing battle from now on
    Incredible - you werent in row h block wsl were you?
    Seat 3?
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    robroy said:

Apart from that. 

We won. Haha 

Edit from CL pedantry corner:  It wasn't an 80 minute trip, it was a 4 hour one.
    Haha touché! 
  • Options
    AFC were a poor side but I felt in control more than a 3-2 score line suggests. We gifted them the first and the defending for the second wasn’t great. 

I’d like to see a bit more in the final third. Morgan and Gilbey wasted good opportunities but luckily set pieces and a sublime DJ pass got us the win. Morgan was pretty average but some great set pieces. I’d love Inniss to stay fit as I think those back 3 could really click and become a solid unit. 

Not sure Nile John was a worthwhile signing if we’re expecting to see JFC this season but there’s plenty of games left. We need Stockley back to provide a bit of competition up top. Burstow has shown he can finish but is still very raw as a player and I was concerned we were going to give AFC a bit of a chance when he came on for Chuks
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    A few non footballing points first.. ..

No way there was 22000 in there today. Probably 17-18k max. Sitting in the North Upper we get a good view of all of the ground. Although there are more people than in recent years, especially with blocks AB open on the AC stand, there were lots of empty seats in all of the stands.

I can also confirm quite a few boos & negative comments re Burstow from around us......and also when exiting the ground after the game.

I was also intimidated before the game from a householder on Charlton Lane. I parked in a lawful parking space outside a row of houses. I was parked in front of a house which had a gate, behind which was a large van (which was parked to the side & did not look like it had moved for weeks). But there was no dropped curb & the white lines were distinctly visible (as in they weren't old & out of use). Upon getting out of the car I was approached by the householder to be told that I couldn't park there. I said that it was a lawful designated parking spot & as he had no dropped curb I wasnt blocking his gate/drive. His attitude was that if I didn't move my car then that was ok but just be aware of that when I got  back - intermating that some harm would come to it in the meantime. In the end I decided that I didnt want to have to change tyres in the dark or find my windows smashed in, so drove off & finally found space in the car park in Charlton Park. One day I'll drive a beat up old banger & let nature take its course......then I'll throw a brick through his window !!!

Grrrrrr..........

but at least we finally "did a Golfie" and so we can put that one to bed & not talk about it anymore. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I see the attendance has been given as 22486.

Presumably that is another made up one? 
    Attendance means number of people attending, so 22,486 is a lie of almost Trumpian proportions ;-)
    I think they could say the gate was 22,486, as that is more associated with gate revenue, but if they want to an attendance figer, then that should be the number of people attending. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    It may have been tactical having an open game as we seem to struggle more when opponents get men behind the ball. Then back ourselves to have more quality than Wimbledon which I think we just about had.

In terms of points under Jacko, I recall, hopefully correctly, that Sky showed we were 24 points from 14 games under him before the Pompey game and of course if that is correct we would now be 30 points from 16 games which is a touch shy of the magic 2 points per game. It is also lower than what we will need to have any interest in the play offs.

If some teams have worked out a way to combat our system and we have worked out a way to combat that, maybe we can go on the sort of run we will need. Big maybe. Clearly, we will have a better idea of that in our upcoming games, rather than against Wimbledon.