Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2022

Comments

• He’s now missed 6 of the 8 :-) 
    I hope that someone else is going to the bar now if only for the preservation of our wickets!
  • Crawley really has been told to go back into his shell early on - 5 off 33 balls including 31 dots. That's fine so long as runs are coming at the other end (as they are) otherwise you are just allowing the opposition to bowl where they like and he then doesn't give it up.
  • As soon as I pressed "post comment" it happened.
  • Oh dear, Zak.

Couldn't say it wasn't coming though....
  • Has Crawley taken over from Bairstow for wasting reviews. 
  • That has to be Crawley out of the side until he can get some serious form back in first class cricket 
    That review was shocking. 
  • Oh dear, Zak.

Couldn't say it wasn't coming though....
    The management can back him for the next decade but, sadly, he just doesn't have a technique that lends itself to playing the moving red ball. There is absolutely nothing in his history, bar the odd innings on a road as in his 267 in the drawn Test against Pakistan, that suggests otherwise. Ultimately, 50 over white ball might be his game but we have plenty that can do that already.  
    Has Crawley taken over from Bairstow for wasting reviews. 
    That review was shocking. 
    It is the mark of desperation. When out of form particularly, batsmen cling to any hope whatsoever of staying in. Imagine how many club players would be wasting them if only for the fact that so many don't actually understand the Laws of the Game! 
  • Every now and again  a cricketer comes along with a face that you want to punch.
    Warner being a prime example. 
    I now want to add Verreynne to that list.
  • Sponsored links:

• ffs, is your your mate at the bar again @AFKABartram ?
  • No idea what Stokes is playing at. Let off 2 balls ago & then nicks off going at a wide one.

Do they want to game over inside 2 days ?  England had the chance of getting a very decent lead, if not a massive one. Looks like the lead could be less than 50 !
  • No idea what Stokes is playing at. Let off 2 balls ago & then nicks off going at a wide one.

Do they want to game over inside 2 days ?  England had the chance of getting a very decent lead, if not a massive one. Looks like the lead could be less than 50 !
    Bazball
  • ffs, is your your mate at the bar again @AFKABartram ?
    The A Team drinkers of my group were aiming to do a pint per wicket ratio through play. 16 wickets down and now on their 14th pint of Guinness they’re accepting defeat 
    On normal days that would be well under par. Imagine in the era of boycott batting you would all be going home sober. 
  • Ffs umpires it ain't that dark.
  • 26 overs lost today. That is what happens when you have a slow over rate, start at 11.00am and play Test cricket in September.
  • 26 overs lost today. That is what happens when you have a slow over rate, start at 11.00am and play Test cricket in September.
    I see Nassar agrees with us. Saying we should be staying at 10.30. Daft starting at 11 when it gets murky around 6.30pm. And don't start on about dew. There is no dew at this time of year at 10.30.....esp with the weather we've been having. 
    I see Nassar agrees with us. Saying we should be staying at 10.30. Daft starting at 11 when it gets murky around 6.30pm. And don't start on about dew. There is no dew at this time of year at 10.30.....esp with the weather we've been having. 
    I'm happy for a 10.30 start, but my lawn was soaking wet with dew at 10.30 this morning.
    No point having floodlights is there. It seems the only time we play under floodlights is when there is a day/night Test. In all other situations the umpires call a halt in play. So......why can we play a day/night Test under lights and not one that isn't ? It seems there are different rules.....ah...and a different ball. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2022
    I'm a bit of a cricket novice... what is wrong with a bit of dew? I'm assuming the players don't play in trainers?

They came off for rain today at one point and surely the ground was damper than morning dew would be when they came back on?

This was the light above when they walked off. Was the lightest it had been for a couple of hours! 

• To be fair the picture on the TV was getting darker and darker.
    I said to the wife this will be called off in 5 mins through bad light and it was.
  • I had, with good reason, been fearful that my Day 4 tickets would be a write off, instead due to circumstances it will be a full and key day.

Just bought a ticket for Monday too, well worth the £20 for anyone able to get down
  • I'm a bit of a cricket novice... what is wrong with a bit of dew? I'm assuming the players don't play in trainers?

They came off for rain today at one point and surely the ground was damper than morning dew would be when they came back on?

The presence of heavy dew might delay the start of play from a safety perspective but the reason that it is mentioned mostly is actually to do with how it can affect the ball.

Dew will make it difficult for bowlers to grip the ball especially for spinners and for fielders to catch it but, most of all, the seam becomes so wet that it is virtually impossible to dry thus reducing the  ability of a fast bowler to get the ball to move. 

Dew is also the reason that day/night games become so difficult to take place because success or failure can revolve around the timing of its presence. Equally, in night white ball games, in certain parts of the world, it is usually a big advantage to bat second because the bat does come onto the bat that much better as it skids on the surface as oppose to holding or stopping and batsman can hit through the line of the ball with more confidence. 
  • County Championship matches start at 10:30 in September, so I don't think dew is that much of an issue.

I think it's more about allowing enough time for spectators to get to the game. 
  • I'm a bit of a cricket novice... what is wrong with a bit of dew? I'm assuming the players don't play in trainers?

The presence of heavy dew might delay the start of play from a safety perspective but the reason that it is mentioned mostly is actually to do with how it can affect the ball.

Dew will make it difficult for bowlers to grip the ball especially for spinners and for fielders to catch it but, most of all, the seam becomes so wet that it is virtually impossible to dry thus reducing the  ability of a fast bowler to get the ball to move. 

Dew is also the reason that day/night games become so difficult to take place because success or failure can revolve around the timing of its presence. Equally, in night white ball games, in certain parts of the world, it is usually a big advantage to bat second because the bat does come onto the bat that much better as it skids on the surface as oppose to holding or stopping and batsman can hit through the line of the ball with more confidence. 
    gripping the ball never occurred to me. it doesn't really answer my question about the rain delay though. 

gripping the ball never occurred to me. it doesn't really answer my question about the rain delay though. 
    Heavy overnight dew can make the surface very much as slippery as rain though standing water from a heavy downpour takes the consideration of injury to another level even though all players do wear spikes in such conditions. Umpires do have a "duty of care" and for that reason (and the fear of being sued should a player get injured) they tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to the commencement or re-commencement of play.  

• County Championship matches start at 10:30 in September, so I don't think dew is that much of an issue.

I think it's more about allowing enough time for spectators to get to the game. 
    The first players tee off at 6.30am during the Open. Doesn't stop thousands turning up to see them play. Even tomorrow at the PGA the first ones out are off around 7am. In Surrey.......about 30 miles from the Oval. If spectators can get to Wentworth at that time they can get to South London for 10.30 !!!!