Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2022

Comments

• I'm a bit of a cricket novice... what is wrong with a bit of dew? I'm assuming the players don't play in trainers?

They came off for rain today at one point and surely the ground was damper than morning dew would be when they came back on?

The presence of heavy dew might delay the start of play from a safety perspective but the reason that it is mentioned mostly is actually to do with how it can affect the ball.

Dew will make it difficult for bowlers to grip the ball especially for spinners and for fielders to catch it but, most of all, the seam becomes so wet that it is virtually impossible to dry thus reducing the  ability of a fast bowler to get the ball to move. 

Dew is also the reason that day/night games become so difficult to take place because success or failure can revolve around the timing of its presence. Equally, in night white ball games, in certain parts of the world, it is usually a big advantage to bat second because the bat does come onto the bat that much better as it skids on the surface as oppose to holding or stopping and batsman can hit through the line of the ball with more confidence. 
    gripping the ball never occurred to me. it doesn't really answer my question about the rain delay though. 
    Heavy overnight dew can make the surface very much as slippery as rain though standing water from a heavy downpour takes the consideration of injury to another level even though all players do wear spikes in such conditions. Umpires do have a "duty of care" and for that reason (and the fear of being sued should a player get injured) they tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to the commencement or re-commencement of play.  

So there is "heavy dew" at 10.30 but absolutely fine by 11. What a load of bollox. 
  • edited September 2022
    I'm a bit of a cricket novice... what is wrong with a bit of dew? I'm assuming the players don't play in trainers?

They came off for rain today at one point and surely the ground was damper than morning dew would be when they came back on?

The presence of heavy dew might delay the start of play from a safety perspective but the reason that it is mentioned mostly is actually to do with how it can affect the ball.

Dew will make it difficult for bowlers to grip the ball especially for spinners and for fielders to catch it but, most of all, the seam becomes so wet that it is virtually impossible to dry thus reducing the  ability of a fast bowler to get the ball to move. 

Dew is also the reason that day/night games become so difficult to take place because success or failure can revolve around the timing of its presence. Equally, in night white ball games, in certain parts of the world, it is usually a big advantage to bat second because the bat does come onto the bat that much better as it skids on the surface as oppose to holding or stopping and batsman can hit through the line of the ball with more confidence. 
    gripping the ball never occurred to me. it doesn't really answer my question about the rain delay though. 
    Heavy overnight dew can make the surface very much as slippery as rain though standing water from a heavy downpour takes the consideration of injury to another level even though all players do wear spikes in such conditions. Umpires do have a "duty of care" and for that reason (and the fear of being sued should a player get injured) they tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to the commencement or re-commencement of play.  

So there is "heavy dew" at 10.30 but absolutely fine by 11. What a load of bollox. 
  • edited September 2022
    I'm a bit of a cricket novice... what is wrong with a bit of dew? I'm assuming the players don't play in trainers?

• Going back from memory, didnt the 60 over finals at lords that started at 10.30 the team always winning the toss fielded due to the dew and favourable conditions aid the bowling side. And was often decided in those opening 8-10 overs.
  • It is to be fair proper foggy out there this morning 
  • edited September 2022

"Heavy overnight dew" doesn't mean that the dew is heavy at 10.30am and not so at 11.00am does it? It might not be perfect at 10.30am but is, more likely, guaranteed to be so by 11.00am.  I do know that six of the seven Tests in 2005 started at 10.30am but then was to do with C4 covering the cricket and them not wanting it to interfere with their evening schedule but, interestingly, this is a bit from an article in the Guardian in reference to the Ashes series in 2005 (written by Vic Marks, ex Somerset and England spinner and one of the best cricketing and most knowledgeable journalists around):

England would settle for a tense, dour draw, but they cannot afford to plan for one. Given five days of mostly fine weather, which the forecasters predict, the draw has gone out of fashion and with 10.30 starts and autumnal dew fresh on the ground - this is the latest ever start to a Test match in England - the ball is liable to dart around early on, however perfect the pitch. 

The bit about the "latest ever start to a Test match in England" refers to the fact that the Final Test started on 8th September. This one was meant to start a day later. So, it can be started at 10.30am but it is the time of year that lends itself to the possibility of dew.

• Never been in the Upper Bedser before, though have been in a prawn sandwich box once 

• "Our resistance is low"
  • First pint to down @AFKABartram
  • England want tomorrow off
  • Sponsored links:

• "Our resistance is low"
    "Our resistance is non existent!"
  • would make it a good game if both teams forfeited their first Innings and made it  3 day 1 innings shoot out ...................
    As opposed to a 3 day, 2 innings shoot out - the first two Tests didn't need a 4th day!
    It is now, a 2 day, 1 innings shoot out
  • England have really vivid this. Had to go out yesterday afternoon & bat properly, then get to this morning & then give it a bit of a dart. Put 300 on the board & put SA under pressure.

However, they did the complete opposite & now the advantage is with SA. Even if they only get 250 they have a good chance of getting us all out tomorrow for under 200. 

My money is on them.

SA 60%
    England 50%
    Draw 10%
  • England have really vivid this. Had to go out yesterday afternoon & bat properly, then get to this morning & then give it a bit of a dart. Put 300 on the board & put SA under pressure.

However, they did the complete opposite & now the advantage is with SA. Even if they only get 250 they have a good chance of getting us all out tomorrow for under 200. 

My money is on them.

SA 60%
    England 50%
    Draw 10%
    They'll take heart when they realise that they 'only' have to make twice as many in their second innings as their first. 
  • The teams are level now
  • Stokes brings himself on and gets the breakthrough in his first over.

A number of close calls, but S Africa has toughed it out well
  • I'm sitting here wishing I could be listening to Bumble right now talking about the game - instead of KP!
  • This has been a brilliant spell by Broad and Anderson.
  • Sponsored links:

• If it isn't Robinson "taking" a wicket with a no ball then it is Stokes. So unnecessary. 
  • 130 to win. In a normal series that would be a formality!
  • So, we have to get 130 to win. KP talking about trying to win it tonight. Don't think we have enough overs/daylight for that. I think we'll have to come back tomorrow morning to get another 40 to win. Just hope they dont go mad this evening and we are 60 for 5 at stumps. 
  • Jesus...that was close !!

Dont they tell them to run their bat in anymore. 
  • Zak playing one of those cameos where you think he's definitely worth persevering with...
  • Lees playing like someone who's come to the crease in the 45th over of an ODI
  • Zak playing one of those cameos where you think he's definitely worth persevering with...
    I think he’s playing quite rightly like he has nothing to lose. Even if he bats through I don’t think he should be given another test start for a while.

I think he’s playing quite rightly like he has nothing to lose. Even if he bats through I don’t think he should be given another test start for a while.

I think that is the point. There is no reason whatsoever for him to play as he did in the first innings with a negative game plan. That doesn't alter the fact that his technique isn't up to it. For that matter, Lees is no better and should have been out first ball.
  • I think statistically Jack Leach is probably our best opener over the last few years
  • South Africans mentally on the plane already.