Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2022

Comments

• Discussions are still ongoing with Cricket South Africa about whether it is possible to extend the match to Tuesday, which is when the tourists are scheduled to fly home.

The ECB added there would need to be a consideration for the "additional stresses on London infrastructure and safety" if a sixth day is to be arranged.

Or in other words, can we afford it! 
  • Will they cancel the original toss? As England we’re going to bowl as it cloudy and tomorrow might suit batting. I suppose they won’t.
  • The way both teams have batted, 3 days may be enough anyway

"Zak, Alex. There's only 3 days left, so you have to play aggressively from the start. Chase wide ones, play uppish shots, don't cover your stumps. Your usual game."
    When you look at it like that, they’re actually quite talented. A knack for getting out 
  • Bilko said:
    Will they cancel the original toss? As England we’re going to bowl as it cloudy and tomorrow might suit batting. I suppose they won’t.
    The toss will stand. We elected to bowl on the first day due to the cloudy conditions and the whole day was rained off. It might have been sunny all day today thus negating the value of winning the toss. 
  • Now a 3 day game. Can't extend it to Tuesday as SA are booked on a flight home.

But never fear, we are making up for lost time by having 98 overs each day. So that is, at best, less than a session made up out of the 6 that have been lost.

Couldn't they start at 10.30 and/or go through until 7pm. 
  • Now a 3 day game. Can't extend it to Tuesday as SA are booked on a flight home.

But never fear, we are making up for lost time by having 98 overs each day. So that is, at best, less than a session made up out of the 6 that have been lost.

Pitch will be damp at 10:30 and it'll be practically dark at 7pm. Sunset on Monday is 7:22, so it'll be practically twilight at 7pm. They may have to start at 10:30, but I can't see them playing beyond 6:30
  • would make it a good game if both teams forfeited their first Innings and made it  3 day 1 innings shoot out ...................
  • would make it a good game if both teams forfeited their first Innings and made it  3 day 1 innings shoot out ...................
    As opposed to a 3 day, 2 innings shoot out - the first two Tests didn't need a 4th day!

Pitch will be damp at 10:30 and it'll be practically dark at 7pm. Sunset on Monday is 7:22, so it'll be practically twilight at 7pm. They may have to start at 10:30, but I can't see them playing beyond 6:30
    That's why for the past 100 years Test matches have been played in June, July and the early part of August, where it gets light at 6am & dark after 8pm. If Test cricket in England had been meant to be played in mid September then WG Grace would have been playing it then. 

ECB - trying to re-invent the wheel & coming unstuck at the first hurdle. . 
  • Sponsored links:

• England have suggested that to speed the game up, both sides will leave out one of their best players. South Africa have suggested Rabada, England have suggested Bairstow.
  • I have an email from The Oval, and clearly they want a different, less beery atmosphere than usual

We are proud to welcome you to The Oval, for the rest of the Test Match, for what will be a celebration of Her Majesty the Queen’s life.  
    As you will now be aware, it was announced today (Friday 9th September) that the Test Match between England and South Africa will resume tomorrow, Saturday 10th September, with all tickets for Days 3, 4 and 5 being valid for the days they were purchased for.
    For Day 4 (Sunday 11th) and Day 5 (Monday 12th), match-day timings will resume as normal. Gates will open at 9am, with the play scheduled to start at 11am.  
    The remainder of this Test Series will be a very special period for everyone involved, but please be informed that there will be some significant differences from your usual match-day experience.   
    Bars will be open once play starts and fans will be limited to purchasing two alcoholic drinks at a time throughout the day.
    Please be mindful of other people and behave with respect as concerns others and the occasion.   
    It is a chance for all of us to recognise the extraordinary contribution the Queen has made to public life, and we ask that all fans behave in such a way that shows we are equal to the moment.
  • Anyone else going today?
  • Perfect conditions for a bowl 
  • 22-3

Robinson bowling superbly. I don't know about anyone else but each and every time he gets a wicket, I'm waiting to see if the outgoing batsman makes it to the dressing room - before being called back for a "no ball".
  • What a start to the game. Could end up being an exciting three days.
  • edited September 2022
    Two poor batting lineups, this would never need a full 4 days, never mind 5, if the weather holds
  • Still ambitious to get it all done in three. Massively favours England in my view, though I guess the draw must still be favourite.
  • On the other hand, we might be batting by lunchtime 
  • it's not even going to last 3 days at this rate...
  • Sponsored links:

• 41-6

I layed South Africa at 200 but also had a small interest in Jansen at 22/1 to be top SA first innings run scorer so could do with him staying in for a bit longer but not too long!
  • Sorry guys, looks like the wickets stopped falling as soon as I switched on to watch. 
  • Wondering whether our captain, AFKA, will be in a fit state to post an end of play's report tonight....
    Marginally better than one of my mates who managed to miss the first four wickets getting drinks! 
  • edited September 2022
    Agent Foakes!

Edit: Agent surrey!
  • Just want to say that the silence that descended, before it was even called for, was astonishing. Truly one of those moments that left me in wonder.
  • Robinson, I believe, is still registered as a player with Bickley Park. Wonder if he fancies a few games in Division 1 of the Kent League next season!
  • Robinson, I believe, is still registered as a player with Bickley Park. Wonder if he fancies a few games in Division 1 of the Kent League next season!
    Don’t think they can afford him now ! 
  • He’s now missed 6 of the 8 :-) 
    Perhaps he should just go to a pub that shows cricket & then he can watch the wickets fall from the bar.