Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2022

Comments

• One of the recommendations of the Strauss report and reaction of some Counties to that is overseas players are banned from the CC. For those of us that grew up watching the likes of Viv Richards, Joel Garner, Barry Richards, Gordon Greenidge, Malcom Marshall, Mike Proctor, Mushtaq Mohammad, Zaheer Abbas and many, many more, this is disappointing especially from the perspective that our players improved as a result of playing against them in the CC. However, that value has diminished with very few actually playing (and staying for the summer) so I do see the other argument but it has to be better playing against a Matt Henry doesn't it? It will also make the step up from County to Test cricket even greater.

Another recommendation is a change to the Central Contracts system and one that I advocated myself as they will be more of a pay-as-you-play deals in addition to a player's County Contract. There will also be bigger incentives for both Counties to produce Test players and for players to play the longer form of international cricket. New CC's will be announced in October so any changes are unlikely to be implemented at that time.
  • One of the recommendations of the Strauss report and reaction of some Counties to that is overseas players are banned from the CC. For those of us that grew up watching the likes of Viv Richards, Joel Garner, Barry Richards, Gordon Greenidge, Malcom Marshall, Mike Proctor, Mushtaq Mohammad, Zaheer Abbas and many, many more, this is disappointing especially from the perspective that our players improved as a result of playing against them in the CC. However, that value has diminished with very few actually playing (and staying for the summer) so I do see the other argument but it has to be better playing against a Matt Henry doesn't it? It will also make the step up from County to Test cricket even greater.

Another recommendation is a change to the Central Contracts system and one that I advocated myself as they will be more of a pay-as-you-play deals in addition to a player's County Contract. There will also be bigger incentives for both Counties to produce Test players and for players to play the longer form of international cricket. New CC's will be announced in October so any changes are unlikely to be implemented at that time.
    The only glimmer of a positive from a Sussex point of view would've been Pujara and Riswan. I've got absolutely no doubt they will have improved the younger players in our squad. The overseas players are not the problem in the slightest 
  • IMHO the England test team were at their best when counties could have sometimes 2 overseas players in the team and kolpaks… 
  • No root and no Roy… although with Buttler opening we don’t need Roy so much 

my guess is root probably ruled himself out of selection? 
    Malan has the Root role in the T20 side, and has been playing well in the Hundred.
    the fact we call it the root role says it all though...

i prefer to call it the van jaarsveld role ;) poke it around for 10 overs and before you know it they've got a fifty.
  • edited September 2022
    No root and no Roy… although with Buttler opening we don’t need Roy so much 

my guess is root probably ruled himself out of selection? 
    Malan has the Root role in the T20 side, and has been playing well in the Hundred.
    the fact we call it the root role says it all though...

i prefer to call it the van jaarsveld role ;) poke it around for 10 overs and before you know it they've got a fifty.
    In a way I don't mind Root not being picked, as it helps prevent him being burnt out by too much international cricket
  • I guess Root's omission from the T20 squad is a reflection of his ranking over the past few years.  He's dropped from 4th in the world in April 2016 to - currently - 98th.  

He did a job in the WC final in 2016, because the openers failed.  (Coincidentally, both have been omitted, and both have had discipline issues).  England have the luxury of replacing him (in "the Root role") with the player listed as the all-time highest-rated batter ever (and, if batting and bowling ratings have equivalence, then he's the highest-rated player ever), the current highest-rated England-qualified batter and world ranked number 5 (and only England batter in the top 15), Dawid Malan. 

I am a huge fan of Joe Root.  He's been an astonishingly successful, attractive, diligent and easy-on-the-eye batter Englnad has produced in a generation.  But, given the choice between Malan and Root (and that has to be the choice, because there isn't room for both of them) the selectors have made the right choice.  
  • Chizz said:
    I guess Root's omission from the T20 squad is a reflection of his ranking over the past few years.  He's dropped from 4th in the world in April 2016 to - currently - 98th.  

He did a job in the WC final in 2016, because the openers failed.  (Coincidentally, both have been omitted, and both have had discipline issues).  England have the luxury of replacing him (in "the Root role") with the player listed as the all-time highest-rated batter ever (and, if batting and bowling ratings have equivalence, then he's the highest-rated player ever), the current highest-rated England-qualified batter and world ranked number 5 (and only England batter in the top 15), Dawid Malan. 

I am a huge fan of Joe Root.  He's been an astonishingly successful, attractive, diligent and easy-on-the-eye batter Englnad has produced in a generation.  But, given the choice between Malan and Root (and that has to be the choice, because there isn't room for both of them) the selectors have made the right choice.  

There is one very good reason why Root has dropped from 4th to 98th in the ranking system - he hasn't played an international T20 since 5th May 2019. 

New ratings are given to players at the end of each match. If a player misses a match, he automatically drops some points for every match he misses which demonstrates how flawed the system is as England have played an awful lot of T20 matches in the last 40 months! Since that last T20I he has scored 1290 runs in ODIs at an average of 58.64 
  • YJB out if the world cup.
  • Salt to open then
  • Bloody hell, it must a first a player getting injured on the same day the squad is announced. Duckett has been added to the Test side, though I assume Brook will be ahead of him. No announcement about a WC replacement yet 

What the hell is he doing playing golf anyway? Surely England players should get injured playing football.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    YJB out if the world cup.
    Door open for Hales? Key was just on the telly saying he wasn’t in the squad simply because bairstow was in the side..
  • Big loss actually Jonny bairstow, him continuing his form and Buttler in full flow would demolish most sides
  • Chizz said:
    I guess Root's omission from the T20 squad is a reflection of his ranking over the past few years.  He's dropped from 4th in the world in April 2016 to - currently - 98th.  

There is one very good reason why Root has dropped from 4th to 98th in the ranking system - he hasn't played an international T20 since 5th May 2019. 

New ratings are given to players at the end of each match. If a player misses a match, he automatically drops some points for every match he misses which demonstrates how flawed the system is as England have played an awful lot of T20 matches in the last 40 months! Since that last T20I he has scored 1290 runs in ODIs at an average of 58.64 
    I think it makes the case for his omission even clearer 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    YJB out if the world cup.
    Door open for Hales? Key was just on the telly saying he wasn’t in the squad simply because bairstow was in the side..
    As Key said, Hales phoned him to find out why he was left out. We will now find out whether it was Morgan who refused to allow Hales back or whether it was the England hierarchy although they might take the option of bringing in a third keeper/batsman in which case Billings, Duckett or even Cox (who is on the Pakistan tour) that might be selected. 
  • Is Bairstow a closet Charlton fan or something? Breaking his leg playing golf??
  • If you play entirely too much international cricket for long enough, you will get occasional results like this morning's. Head to Cricinfo if you fancy a good laugh
  • Leuth said:
    If you play entirely too much international cricket for long enough, you will get occasional results like this morning's. Head to Cricinfo if you fancy a good laugh
    Got to feel sorry for Warner...

Of course you haven't 🤣🤣
  • Wow. Warner 94, Maxwell 19, then nobody else with more than 5! A strong side too

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO54086
  • Alex Hales could be the WC replacement for Bairstow.

Apart from being in good form, he knows Aussie conditions well having played a lot in the Big Bash
  • The weather forecast for the first 2 days of the test doesn't look good 
  • Sponsored links:

• The weather forecast for the first 2 days of the test doesn't look good 
    Yeah, and in early September too. Who'd a thunk it. Now if only there was a spare month in the middle of summer....like maybe July ? 
  • Good news for me as I have day 4 tickets, and the game might actually last that long  :D
  • Good news for me as I have day 4 tickets, and the game might actually last that long  :D
    I don't know Jimmy bowling in September doesn't a run fest make.
  • Alex Hales recalled 
  • At the Oval tomorrow. Forecast doesn't look too bad according to MetCheck who are generally the most accurate. Rain about but we should get a decent number of overs in

Apart from being in good form, he knows Aussie conditions well having played a lot in the Big Bash
    Let’s see if he can bury the hatchet with some of his England colleagues he fell out with. 

Let’s see if he can bury the hatchet with some of his England colleagues he fell out with. 
    How many of those are still there? Morgan you assume was the main one

It goes deeper than that. It's not just the two instances of being done for substance abuse. Calling his dog "Kevin" as an alleged racial slur was one thing. Another was when he cheated on his then long term girlfriend on tour who was the sister of one of the other player's partners was another. All the party and their partners knew about it bar his girlfriend who only found it from someone else when she joined the tour. He had history of doing that to her too which is why she dumped him on the spot and flew straight back home. And those are things we know about. 

It was put to the players by Morgan as to whether they wanted Hales in the squad and there was minimal support for him. There are still any number that are part of that squad but Buttler would have been approached and presumably he agreed that Hales should get a clean slate. Hales' weight of runs has got him there but one more indiscretion will see him straight out again.

in the ben stokes documentary stokes talks about the bristol incident and talks about "my friend - at the time" in reference to i believe hales. 
  • edited September 2022
    But then how many England players liked Kevin Pietersen? I'm sure not all his team mates liked Boycott.

It's not as if England's white ball team has been great this summer, and Hales would disrupt a winning team