Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2022

Comments

• Options
    506-4 off 75 overs and the players are brought off for bad light

Booooooooooo - 4 runs short of creating a new record for the most number of runs by any Test side in a day's play. But it is the most number of runs for the first day of a Test
    And as my post above that is already getting grief says.....its over how many overs they were made. "A days play" can mean all sorts of this. 
  • Options
    76 boundaries in 75 overs btw
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    76 boundaries in 75 overs btw
    And only 2 sixes ?
  • Options
    The 4 centurions went to Tonbridge, Stowe, Cranleigh and Sedbergh respectively - another coincidence, or not, in that they are all private schools
  • Options

• Options
    To put this bowling attack into perspective - five of the six bowlers used had one Test wicket between them prior to today. The other had 33. Anderson, with 667 wickets, has almost 20 times the total of the Pakistan bowling attack on his own! Combine that inexperience with a flat deck and a bullying batting line up and we are where we are. 
    We also have 2 debutants, Brook in only his 2nd test and Duckett playing his 5th test 6 years after his 4th. We do have a bit more of a mix of experienced players in there and ours are more split between bowlers and batters.
  • Options
    To put this bowling attack into perspective - five of the six bowlers used had one Test wicket between them prior to today. The other had 33. Anderson, with 667 wickets, has almost 20 times the total of the Pakistan bowling attack on his own! Combine that inexperience with a flat deck and a bullying batting line up and we are where we are. 
    We also have 2 debutants, Brook in only his 2nd test and Duckett playing his 5th test 6 years after his 4th. We do have a bit more of a mix of experienced players in there and ours are more split between bowlers and batters.
    Indeed - our top six had played 273 Tests prior to today as opposed to their six bowlers with just 15 Tests in total. And it's easier for inexperienced Test batsmen to play an inexperienced attack on a road as it's no place for even the best of bowlers let alone those who have no plans let alone any control.

It will be interesting to see how much the pitch changes over the course of the next few days and how we bowl on it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whilst I applauded the ICC & ICB for proposing starting the game a day later due to illness I dont applaud them for setting the playing conditions that means players walk off 15 overs short of the MINIMUM that should be played in a day. I mean, what's the point of having floodlights. And I hope people who do the record books put today's play as the highest scoring EVER......because I bet the 509 that Sri Lanka made wasn't done in 75 overs  !

PS. I know the match probably started before 11am today but the ICC must start looking at daylight hours on the sub continent & change the playing conditions to suit. Many times in India & Pakistan play finishes even before the scheduled time because of light. We might get "bad light stops play" in England but thats usually because of the weather, not because of the sun setting. Maybe we should try starting  test matches in England at 1pm & try getting in 90 overs during September. 
    Got to feel sorry for all the fans who have been so desperately short-changed by the day's play. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Whilst I applauded the ICC & ICB for proposing starting the game a day later due to illness I dont applaud them for setting the playing conditions that means players walk off 15 overs short of the MINIMUM that should be played in a day. I mean, what's the point of having floodlights. And I hope people who do the record books put today's play as the highest scoring EVER......because I bet the 509 that Sri Lanka made wasn't done in 75 overs  !
    You do know what records are, right?
    No, Please tell me because I've shot 57 around Barnehurst Golf course but my name ain't in the record books !
    What did you shoot on the back 9?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Leuth said:
    No, Please tell me because I've shot 57 around Barnehurst Golf course but my name ain't in the record books !
    How many did you take on the second nine 😉.
    Leuth said:
    Been done mate. You snooze you lose 😉.
  • Options
    I'm sick of making excuses for him now... Joe Root out
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Been done mate. You snooze you loose 😉.
    Well that's pissed over my corn flakes. I typed that expecting it to be in promote territory 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Well that's pissed over my corn flakes. I typed that expecting it to be in promote territory 
    To be fair you’ve had a lot on your plate defending your position over on the Varney/Brighton  thread 😉.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

PS. I know the match probably started before 11am today but the ICC must start looking at daylight hours on the sub continent & change the playing conditions to suit. Many times in India & Pakistan play finishes even before the scheduled time because of light. We might get "bad light stops play" in England but thats usually because of the weather, not because of the sun setting. Maybe we should try starting  test matches in England at 1pm & try getting in 90 overs during September. 
    Got to feel sorry for all the fans who have been so desperately short-changed by the day's play. 
    That's not the point. The point is a Test match is over 5 days & every day you are supposed to bowl 90 overs (minus any overs lost due to change of innings). Today we lost 15 overs. Not just the odd one or two but 15. That is supposed to be an hours play. There were not (I dont think) and major disruptions (no head injuries that required the physio on) and only 4 wickets fell, so again not a lot of time lost due to players coming out. There were a couple of DRS reviews, but again not that many and not as many as some recent Test matches.

The venue has floodlights, so no reason why they couldn't keep playing on until it actually got dangerous. About the only time I have seen the playing conditions adhered to was Nassar's famous win IN PAKISTAN when the umpires stood firm and said the earlier timewasting would not work & Pakistan had to bowl the allotted overs. Today that would have been called off with England needing 15 to win. 
  • Options
    the day was cut short to save Pakistan, and the ball, further punishment 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    To be fair you’ve had a lot on your plate defending your position over on the Varney/Brighton  thread 😉.
    My fat mate keeps saying he's got a lot on his plate........
  • Options
    Chizz said:

That's not the point. The point is a Test match is over 5 days & every day you are supposed to bowl 90 overs (minus any overs lost due to change of innings). Today we lost 15 overs. Not just the odd one or two but 15. That is supposed to be an hours play. There were not (I dont think) and major disruptions (no head injuries that required the physio on) and only 4 wickets fell, so again not a lot of time lost due to players coming out. There were a couple of DRS reviews, but again not that many and not as many as some recent Test matches.

The venue has floodlights, so no reason why they couldn't keep playing on until it actually got dangerous. About the only time I have seen the playing conditions adhered to was Nassar's famous win IN PAKISTAN when the umpires stood firm and said the earlier timewasting would not work & Pakistan had to bowl the allotted overs. Today that would have been called off with England needing 15 to win. 
    What really gets my goat is in England they always make the time up at the end of the day.  Then go off for bad light without making anything up.  You have wasted 5 hours of perfect day light before a ball is bowled.

Yes you should get 90 overs in for you, rather expensive tickets, but these are extra overs.  If you need to make up more than, say 10, overs start early as well.
  • Options
    With modern scoring rates, and the amount of time it takes to fetch the ball back from the boundary, 90 overs probably isn't realistic, when compared to traditional Test match batting of leaving the ball or pushing for a couple of singles which would have taken far less time.
  • Options
    With modern scoring rates, and the amount of time it takes to fetch the ball back from the boundary, 90 overs probably isn't realistic, when compared to traditional Test match batting of leaving the ball or pushing for a couple of singles which would have taken far less time.
    Simple answer then is to have players stationed around the boundary to field the ball. I think England did this in the summer Tests against NZ when going for quick runs. There are answers if you want to find them. 
  • Options
    Left for work at 120 odd for none - did I miss an anything ? 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    506-4 off 75 overs and the players are brought off for bad light

Booooooooooo - 4 runs short of creating a new record for the most number of runs by any Test side in a day's play. But it is the most number of runs for the first day of a Test
    And as my post above that is already getting grief says.....its over how many overs they were made. "A days play" can mean all sorts of this. 
    Just checked the details of the Sri Lanka v Bangladesh Test match in 2002. 2nd day Sri Lanka started on 32 for no wicket (7 overs) and finished the day 541 for 9 (111 overs). So IN A DAYS PLAY OF 104 OVERS Sri Lanka scored 509 runs.

For context England scored 506 runs in 75 overs.

I think I know what is the better feat and in my mind a record. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

You'd prefer England to be 275-2, so long as they did it in 90 overs? 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    515-5, 76 overs

Stokes out for 41 (18), backing away from stumps and bowled.

Livingstone joins Brook at the crease.
  • Options
    Livingstone picks out the man in the deep.

539-6

Livingstone 9(10)

Out comes Will Jacks.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Review for LBW first ball but Jacks survives.