Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2022

Comments

• Options
    298-3 off 83 at lunch
  • Options
    Richard Thompson, the new ECB Chairman (91 days into the job), was interviewed by Atherton at lunch.

Talked about the current economic crisis in the country. Was asked whether there are any Counties close to bust and said that there are a few facing real challenges. The ECB are currently recruiting five new Board Members of which most will be cricketing people. They will be looking to cut the numbers working at the ECB and they will be looking at the headcount (currently 360) so the inference is that there may have to be redundancies.

Thompson wants all the four competitions to co-exist alongside each other. He confirmed that the ECB had received an unsolicited offer from a private equity firm but wouldn't be drawn on the figure (rumoured to have been £300m for a 75% stake in The Hundred). He also said that, based on the story, a number of private equity firms have come forward and that cricket is awash with private equity money so he's not surprised by this and expects more interest. The response to the offer, he says, was "thank you very much, we'll come back to you when we are ready". He says that, whatever they do, will not be done quickly and he sees that the competition will be worth a lot more perhaps four or five years down the line. He said that the pathway via the counties is vital to the game and that this has to be protected. The debate re the performance review is ongoing and the impact on the schedule of having the four competitions.

Atherton then asked him about Will Smeed and whether he saw any danger signs to First Class cricket. Thompson agreed that it is and that this was a flashing amber light - he said it's not a Kerry Packer moment yet but that they have to be able to control this given that we are providing the pathway for these players. He then talked about the balance between the Mens and Womens game is changing. 

• Options
    Back to the game and normality - Anderson and Robinson take the semi new ball after lunch
  • Options
    Yet another ton - Leach becomes the fourth bowler to concede over 100 in the match

331-3 and ominously Babar Azam reaches his 50. We are now back to Leach and Jacks bowling in tandem

• Options
    I've seen everything now. Robinson is coming on to bowl. Root removes Leach's cap and uses the sweat from Leach's head to shine the ball. Leach then promptly walks off the pitch having served his purpose!

To give an idea of how slow and low this wicket now is, Pope is standing up to Robinson. 
  • Options
    Babar Azam becomes the seventh batsman to hit a ton in the match

401-3
  • Options
    411-3 at tea
  • Options
    Robinson has Shakeel caught behind 

413-4
  • Options
    458-4

Follow on saved
  • Options
    Babar Azam smacks a ball off Jacks straight to Leach at point

473-5
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Livingstone isn't fit for the next match, England have a tricky selection issue. 
  • Options
    Rizwan clips one to short mid wicket and is caught by Stokes

475-6
  • Options
    Oh hello. Suddenly an ultra-Bazball 3rd innings looms...
  • Options
    If Livingstone isn't fit for the next match, England have a tricky selection issue. 
    It'll be Ahmed! Foakes can come in for...idk. Does he come in? Probably. But we do need another bowler. Hmm 
  • Options
    I think what's clear is that strengthening the batting is meaningless on these pitches. I expect Ahmed to come in for Livingstone and if Foakes does come in it'll probably be for...god, Jacks? That doesn't make a huge amount of sense, but Ahmed surely the better bowler. You could even drop Brook, insane as that sounds, so you'll have a good keeper
  • Options
    Apart from Matt Parkinson's omission, Dom Bess is yet another England spinner called up too early, and then forgotten about
  • Options
    Pakistan playing for the close in textbook fashion 
  • Options
    Another to Jacks. Naseem caught in the deep by Leach

497-7 
  • Options
    499-7 at close
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I think what's clear is that strengthening the batting is meaningless on these pitches. I expect Ahmed to come in for Livingstone and if Foakes does come in it'll probably be for...god, Jacks? That doesn't make a huge amount of sense, but Ahmed surely the better bowler. You could even drop Brook, insane as that sounds, so you'll have a good keeper
    I would stake a lot of money on them not dropping Brook for Foakes. They've made him hang about and he personifies Bazball as much as any other player. They will also not risk upsetting him with everything else that is going on in the background. Jacks is far more likely to be ommitted if we decide to play Ahmed for the injured Livingstone especially as we already have an off break bowler in the shape of Root and six bowlers in the side even though Leach does the workload of two.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    as it's England's first time in Pakistan for a long time, perhaps the pitch was designed so that for the first test both sides could emerge with honours shared .. as a theory it's as good as any .. much talk on R5SX of how internal trophy Pakistan games have been played on greenish wickets, including those at Rawalpindi with low scores and usually results. This pitch is obviously a long way from being of that type
  • Options
    Jacks gets his 4th wicket of the winnings. Pakistan now 554/8, 103 runs behind.

Salman goes for 53 and in doing so becomes the first batsman in this match to get a 50. Every other guy who passed 50, went on to get a century.
  • Options
    Jacks finishes with 6 wickets, Pakistan all out for 579.

England lead by 78, and i think we can probably expect some more 'Bazball' coming up.
  • Options
    Jacks has bowled very well given the conditions and his inexperience. I don't think that we will be rushing Livingstone back now and it will be a straight swap of Foakes for him now. 
  • Options
    Oh dear - Duckett out for a golden, running the ball off the face of the bat straight to slip. 
  • Options
    36-2 off 5.1 overs

Pope out caught hooking. Bazball might have to be reigned in a bit. There's nothing in the wicket but we can't be 150 or so all out!
  • Options
    Baz ball is entertaining but it can also be stupid. England will not win this but Pakistan still can. 

I don't know why England had to attack from the off again, would there have been any harm in 40 minutes of caution 
  • Options
    Crawley living dangerously - already dropped by the bowler he is almost done by a slower ball and the ball loops over mid off. Both batsman and bowler are in white ball mode with sweepers out from the off.
  • Options
    46-2 off 7 at lunch. 124 ahead