Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2022

Comments

• Options
    I think Boycott/Edrich/Luckhurst were the earliest England openers that I recall.
    Me too
    Len Hutton and Cyril Washbrooke
    Nearest I got to seeing Len Hutton was seeing his son, Richard, play for England!
    I saw Len Hutton just the once and Ray Lindwall was tying him in knots, I think he was out for about 7.
  • Options
    TMS has served up so many memories for me over the years! I don’t think the commentary today is as good as John Arlott and the great Brian Johnson to mention just a few old stalwarts. Housewife’s used to send in their Victoria Sponges and other delights for the commentary team to sample. Then of course we had the “old stalwarts” taking the field. Cowdrey, Barrington, Edrich, Knott, Statham, Trueman, Tutmus, Illingworth, Close and the young up and coming Boycott. Plenty of others too that I’ve failed to mention. 
    Then of course we had that fantastic unforgettable Brian Johnson gaff when we played the West Indies: “The batsman is Holding, the bowlers Willey”. Truly unforgettable indeed! 
    This new idea of playing Test Match Cricket like a limited overs game I’m sure will help revitalise the game. Bravo to the new England set up!
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Although I agree with the Crawley to be dropped comments, who would come in though?
    Brooks, and move Bairstow to open.
    Are you on drugs? Bairstow to open.. He is the form of his life, and happy with his role in the team, why on the earth would change that!!

I agree Crawley is out of form, but Baz clearly likes his attiude, and Crawley trying to be positive, and why change a winning team? It's a team sport!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    What about Ali to open the batting?
    No thanks .  He’s picking and choosing when he plays and for whom.  His record with the bat in the last few years has been really poor too.  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Might as well say f$#@ it and open with Roy, Salt or Butler.
    Sagrakkara said we should open with Butler. 
    And I can see why he said it.  If Fokes isn't available for Friday, what do you do?  Open with Butler and bring in Brookes probably improves the team.  But then if Jimmy is fit 3 changes seems a lot.
  • Options
    It isn't raining yet, it's ment to start in about an hour though it doesn't look like it ATM.

Set fair after lunch though and the light will hold later.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Bods64 said:
    TMS has served up so many memories for me over the years! I don’t think the commentary today is as good as John Arlott and the great Brian Johnson to mention just a few old stalwarts. Housewife’s used to send in their Victoria Sponges and other delights for the commentary team to sample. Then of course we had the “old stalwarts” taking the field. Cowdrey, Barrington, Edrich, Knott, Statham, Trueman, Tutmus, Illingworth, Close and the young up and coming Boycott. Plenty of others too that I’ve failed to mention. 
    Then of course we had that fantastic unforgettable Brian Johnson gaff when we played the West Indies: “The batsman is Holding, the bowlers Willey”. Truly unforgettable indeed! 
    This new idea of playing Test Match Cricket like a limited overs game I’m sure will help revitalise the game. Bravo to the new England set up!
    Loved Brian Johnson. My favourite moment was when Agnew got him giggling and was obviously doing something to make his giggles worse and Johnners desperately gasps “Oh stop it Jonathan!” amidst a fit of giggles. He was a wonderfully humourous, accessible, yet authoritative link to cricket for so many listeners.
    Unfortunately the famous “Holding Willey” line is sort of an urban myth in that it is misremembered by many (possibly a “Mandela effect” as many people swear blind they remember it) - it was a joke sent in by a listener and was never part of commentary as Blofeld and Baxter explain here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D0a-FOoM9ms

• Options
    It's raining, not a lot though.
  • Options
    Bods64 said:
    This has been phased out of TMS whiteout me really realising!
  • Options
    Bods64 said:
    Loved Brian Johnson. My favourite moment was when Agnew got him giggling and was obviously doing something to make his giggles worse and Johnners desperately gasps “Oh stop it Jonathan!” amidst a fit of giggles. He was a wonderfully humourous, accessible, yet authoritative link to cricket for so many listeners.
    Unfortunately the famous “Holding Willey” line is sort of an urban myth in that it is misremembered by many (possibly a “Mandela effect” as many people swear blind they remember it) - it was a joke sent in by a listener and was never part of commentary as Blofeld and Baxter explain here:

I have always thought that it was more likely to have been the bowlers Holding the batman's Willey, seeing as Michael Holding is the more recognised bowler (did Peter Willey bowl?) and much more likely that way round. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    buttler's basically been told the captain's job is his, which now imo is a full time role and he shouldn't be playing test cricket. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    buttler's basically been told the captain's job is his, which now imo is a full time role and he shouldn't be playing test cricket. 
    Does that mean Ben Stokes shouldn't be in the ODI or T20 teams?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    It's raining, not a lot though.

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    well, he isn't, is he?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    well, he isn't, is he?
    None of the Test players played against the Netherlands.  But, if there's an edict that the white ball captain can't or shouldn't play Test cricket, is there a concomitant oppugnant decree prohibiting the red ball captain playing short-form cricket for England? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    well, he isn't, is he?
    None of the Test players played against the Netherlands.  But, if there's an edict that the white ball captain can't or shouldn't play Test cricket, is there a concomitant oppugnant decree prohibiting the red ball captain playing short-form cricket for England? 
    Buttler will be playing as many T20 franchises as he can including the IPL and the Big Bash so won't be available to tour. That is the difference between him and Stokes. And I dont believe Buttler is interested in red ball anyway. He hasnt played a County Championship game in three years and couldn't wait to leave the last tour.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    well, he isn't, is he?
    Key told the new white ball coach he would basically only have Stokes, and Root, for world cups and the immediate build up to them.
  • Options
    Morgan set to announce his retirement.  

Bit of a shocker that
  • Options

Bit of a shocker that
    I would have made him the coach.  Seems strange appointing one then him retiring.

The biggest influence on English cricket since?????
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2022

Bit of a shocker that
    It's really not. He has been in hopeless form for two years now and that isn't just for England - that is for every single franchise he's played for in that time. You can't carry a player in white ball - it is like Brearley and Test cricket - because Morgan will either get nothing or simply chew up balls and both will have a detrimental effect on the team. A top seven of Roy, Salt or Bairstow, Root, Livingstone, Buttler, Stokes, Moeen is as good as it gets in the world.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    well, he isn't, is he?
    Key told the new white ball coach he would basically only have Stokes, and Root, for world cups and the immediate build up to them.
    Thanks, I didn't know that. Where does that leave Vairstow? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Bit of a shocker that
    I would have made him the coach.  Seems strange appointing one then him retiring.

He said himself before the Netherlands series that he wouldn't hesitate to step aside if he couldn't find form. As I say, this has been going on for two years and if it weren't for him being skipper he would have been dropped even sooner. He bagged a pair against the Netherlands and looked awful in both and then didn't play in the third ODI because of a bad back. I would suggest that he'd already made up his mind after that second duck but that wouldn't have been the time to announce it. He can concentrate on being an ECB ambassador promoting The Hundred now. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    well, he isn't, is he?
    Don't know Vairstow. See Chizz we can all do it!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    well, he isn't, is he?
    Nasser said it on sky yesterday.  I assume the mental burden has been as much on Bairstow?  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Bit of a shocker that

I'd imagine he will try and milk a fair few franchise gigs for a couple of seasons yet. Then he will move into coaching
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Bit of a shocker that

Hussain and fletcher id say.

Makes sense to retire now, he’s been poor for a long time, and as mentioned, we now have great finishers like livingstone and moeen who offer something with the ball as well. Buttler is a shoe in for the captaincy, gives him a bit of time to prepare for world t20 in oz too. 
  • Options
    Bods64 said:

I have always thought that it was more likely to have been the bowlers Holding the batman's Willey, seeing as Michael Holding is the more recognised bowler (did Peter Willey bowl?) and much more likely that way round. 
    Willey was an off spin bowler, an all rounder
  • Options
    The correct decision for Morgan to retire. He wouldn't want to just be in the team just out of loyalty for past glories.
  • Options
    Bods64 said:

Willey was an off spin bowler, an all rounder
    Sorry, of course he was.