Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2022

Comments

• Chizz said:
    Deserves to be in the same breath as brearley, Hussain and Vaughan in all time best/most impactful leaders of English cricket. Finally turned us into a great one day side. 
    Special mention for Paul Collingwood, England's first World Cup winning captain.
    I didn’t realise Paul Collingwood captained the women in 1973. He really did have a long, interesting career didn’t he…
    That’s what he got his MBE for 
  • edited June 2022
    Pauline Collingwood

• I thoroughly enjoyed watching the last 2 tests. What a positive mindset they have embraced. Rolling the kiwis over is no mean feat. 
  • ozaddick said:
    I thoroughly enjoyed watching the last 2 tests. What a positive mindset they have embraced. Rolling the kiwis over is no mean feat. 
    yep we made them look ordinary, and they really aren't. Caught myself thinking "the real test will come vs india", but tbh new zealand and india are just about par with each other imo.
  • ozaddick said:
    I thoroughly enjoyed watching the last 2 tests. What a positive mindset they have embraced. Rolling the kiwis over is no mean feat. 
    yep we made them look ordinary, and they really aren't. Caught myself thinking "the real test will come vs india", but tbh new zealand and india are just about par with each other imo.
    If anything, NZ may be a little ahead
  • Chizz said:
    ozaddick said:
    In no way - batting, bowling or fielding - are NZ in the same class as India right now. A year or two ago, sure. 
  • Leuth said:
    Chizz said:
    ozaddick said:
    In no way - batting, bowling or fielding - are NZ in the same class as India right now. A year or two ago, sure. 
    In England?  
  • Really looking forward to the India test match.  Would love to see Bairstow & co smash them all over the park
  • I'm already chubbing up at the thought of Jimmy knicking Virat off twice 
  • Leuth said:
    Chizz said:
    ozaddick said:
    In results, India aren't substantially ahead compared to a year ago, when New Zealand beat them in - arguably - the most important Test match of 2021.  

In red ball cricket, this year, they've lost both Tests they played in South Africa, thrashed a poor Sri Lanka twice at home and drawn with Leicestershire.   
  • Sponsored links:

• Really looking forward to the India test match.  Would love to see Bairstow & co smash them all over the park
    its a shame kohli is no longer captain, would have loved to have seen him stood there dumbfounded as YJB tears them apart.
    its a shame kohli is no longer captain, would have loved to have seen him stood there dumbfounded as YJB tears them apart.
    They'll still spend the entire test match with the camera glued onto him. Can't stand the bloke
    They'll still spend the entire test match with the camera glued onto him. Can't stand the bloke
    Same, think he's tried to pull in a kind of football-esque vibe into cricket, loosely intimidating umpires and visibly looking irritated at batsman and decisions. It doesn't help that the BCCI is a truly awful organisation. You just have to look at how root/stokes and williamson conduct themselves to see you can be nice and play hard. 
  • Team announced, Billings plays (I'm assuming Foakes not out of isolation? but hopefully available for Surrey next week?)

Jimmy back in for Joverton (can we have him back for the T20 tomorrow night pls?)

Potentially harsh on Joverton but hard to not bring Jimmy back in. I would have made a case for Broady dropping out given he hasn't been at his best this series (Pace down, accuracy off, lower Expected wickets metric than he has ever returned in a series before etc.) But again hard to drop Broad for a big one Vs India.
  • Team announced, Billings plays (I'm assuming Foakes not out of isolation? but hopefully available for Surrey next week?)

Jimmy back in for Joverton (can we have him back for the T20 tomorrow night pls?)

Potentially harsh on Joverton but hard to not bring Jimmy back in. I would have made a case for Broady dropping out given he hasn't been at his best this series (Pace down, accuracy off, lower Expected wickets metric than he has ever returned in a series before etc.) But again hard to drop Broad for a big one Vs India.
    Whilst Broad certainly hasn't been at his best he was better than Overton with the ball and if we could catch he would've had quite a few more poles
  • Though Broad was a bit unlucky v NZ, bowled some very good spells without the reward a couple of times.
  • every time i write broad off and say he's probably passed it he tends to rip through with ridiculous figures with like 5-30 or something. 

Whilst Broad certainly hasn't been at his best he was better than Overton with the ball and if we could catch he would've had quite a few more poles
    Some of these guys, possibly? 
  • Any idea why its starting at 10.30 tomorrow & not the very usual 11.
    To not clash with the TV coverage of the blast game in the evening is what i've heard
  • Sponsored links:

To not clash with the TV coverage of the blast game in the evening is what i've heard
    Nadine Dorris is going to that, she loves a bit of baseball.
    She has since she watched Gazza score the winning touchdown against Scotland in the Ashes.

• One for the future?
    Poor reason imo. The 2019 Ashes match at Headingley coincided with the Mens final at Wimbledon. They didn't change the time of thay did they. 

Why not just start the Blast game 30 mins later. 

Poor reason imo. The 2019 Ashes match at Headingley coincided with the Mens final at Wimbledon. They didn't change the time of thay did they. 

No, they didn’t change the time. In fairness the Headingly test was 6 weeks after the Wimbledon final though. it was the longest final in Wimbledon history but not quite that long ;) 

2019 was the Cricket World Cup Final and Mens Wimbledon Final on the same day
    So it’s easier for Indian tv to schedule it. 

I don't know the answer to that one but, perhaps, because the Blast game is meant to finish by 10.00pm and not 10.30pm? I suspect that, even on a weekend day, some parents of young children wouldn't want to be getting home with them at 11.00pm or even 11.30pm. Given that there are so few matches in The Blast which aren't school nights (unlike The Hundred which is played in the hols) the Counties probably aren't keen to limit their future supporters even further - the Test today, let's face it, will be mostly populated by adults.

2019 was the Cricket World Cup Final and Mens Wimbledon Final on the same day
    That's madness. Two big events in London on the same day AND a Test Match in Leeds?