Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2022

Comments

• Options
    Since Bairstow was recalled for the Boxing Day Test he has scored 814 runs in 8 matches at an average of 58.14 
    He always finds a way to come through patches of difficulty 
  • Options
    what were what were the questions to root that were awkward 
    is there a link to the interview 

for the record we’re definitely not gonna chase the runs down in any of those 3 tests, I could not be more wrong  .
    Unreal the way they’ve gone about it ….. brilliant 

Plenty of kebab shops in Headingly, will we see you all in one in the early hours of tomorrow morning?

It was pretty shit at the end of your captaincy wasn't it.  Are you enjoying it more now?

Pretty much the gist of it.
  • Options
    Well played England.3 great run chases made to look incredibly easy.I have been a big critic of the team over the last couple of years deservedly so as we have been awful.But these last 3 test matches we have been fantastic.Fair play to Bairstow, as in the past ive been one he's biggest critics but thanks for proving me wrong.Great to see so much positivity for once.Yes there will be defeats on the way no doubt but i think this team now has the spirit and class to bounce back.One negative is our own Zak Crawley.I really hope they keep faith with him as he is a good player.Good to see mcCullum has come out and praised him and will keep faith with him.I think mccullum and Stokes will get the best out of him and improve his tecnique.Bring on India.BARMY ARMY BARMY ARMY!!
  • Options
    YJB has been battling like Mccullum at his peak. Just brilliantly destructive and so fun to watch. Think Crawley gets the India test and then if he underperforms there then you look at other options. Personally not sure about Sangakkara wanting Buttler to open in red ball cricket , that feels like a return to the Jason Roy experiment. Do you go back to Burns or Hameed in that case or look to go in a completely different direction? 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    YJB has been battling like Mccullum at his peak. Just brilliantly destructive and so fun to watch. Think Crawley gets the India test and then if he underperforms there then you look at other options. Personally not sure about Sangakkara wanting Buttler to open in red ball cricket , that feels like a return to the Jason Roy experiment. Do you go back to Burns or Hameed in that case or look to go in a completely different direction? 
    I don’t expect to see Hameed again.  Key likes Haines of Sussex - not sure if he’s made any runs this year .  Left field would be Billings opening .  I know he’s never done it before but he’s pretty wound technically and he’s the kind of character that McCullum would like .  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    What do you do with Crawley if you do drop him? 

Send him back to Kent to get a load of runs to force a recall?

What about the person that replaces him?  If Crawley is so well thought of it will only be a matter of time before he is back.

But is it fair on Lees and Pope to have him there either at the moment?

My mind is to drop him now, for his own good but I can also see that how you do that is a problem.  You can't bring someone in knowing they only have one test.  Unless you bring someone in like Roy or Butler who are doing you a "favour" and know they aren't there long term.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2022/jun/26/zak-crawley-should-be-a-perfect-fit-for-this-england-but-offers-only-high-farce

All that said that article is a bit harsh. 
    Rather harshly put but I don't disagree with any of thr points. In particular about singles and manipulating he field early on to show intent. It's the sign of a class player and is obviously absent in Zaks game.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Robson. 
  • Options
    Another great test match and throughly enjoyable to watch. Does anyone know who would have come in next if Root or Bairstow got out? Stokes was sitting on the balcony in a tracksuit at the end of the match. Wondered if they would have given Billing a knock?
  • Options
    what were what were the questions to root that were awkward 
    is there a link to the interview 

for the record we’re definitely not gonna chase the runs down in any of those 3 tests, I could not be more wrong  .
    Unreal the way they’ve gone about it ….. brilliant 
    Haven't got a link but have had another listen

For the penultimate question Atherton said to Root that he must know the importance of celebrating a win like this and that there were a few kebab houses near the ground - a reference to them visiting one, somewhat worse for more than a few drinks, after the previous Test. And then of course there was the Australian incident when the Police were called. Root was somewhat sheepish and answered "probably not, try not to do that again". But he did follow that up by saying that you have to enjoy a series win like this and that they would celebrate in the right way.

The final question related to the Test team under his leadership in the final few years not being given priority and whether there was a shift now and determination to continue the "rise". Again he looked uncomfortable at answering that and clearly doesn't want any comparisons made because he replied with "we should leave what's happened previously where it is and is just enjoying playing under Stokes leadership."

No major fall out but a reflection that he felt the constant scrutiny (and I suspect via social media especially) a bit unfair and that he doesn't want to go down the line of comparing eras of captaincy, presumably because of the inevitable finger pointing at not just him but the coaches he worked under.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I don’t expect to see Hameed again.  Key likes Haines of Sussex - not sure if he’s made any runs this year .  Left field would be Billings opening .  I know he’s never done it before but he’s pretty wound technically and he’s the kind of character that McCullum would like .  
    Haines started the season really well but has fallen away quite badly. Probably the burden of captaining one of the worst/most inexperienced County sides ever. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another great test match and throughly enjoyable to watch. Does anyone know who would have come in next if Root or Bairstow got out? Stokes was sitting on the balcony in a tracksuit at the end of the match. Wondered if they would have given Billing a knock?
    The commentators did suggest that it might be Billings
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    What do you do with Crawley if you do drop him? 

Send him back to Kent to get a load of runs to force a recall?

What about the person that replaces him?  If Crawley is so well thought of it will only be a matter of time before he is back.

But is it fair on Lees and Pope to have him there either at the moment?

My mind is to drop him now, for his own good but I can also see that how you do that is a problem.  You can't bring someone in knowing they only have one test.  Unless you bring someone in like Roy or Butler who are doing you a "favour" and know they aren't there long term.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2022/jun/26/zak-crawley-should-be-a-perfect-fit-for-this-england-but-offers-only-high-farce

All that said that article is a bit harsh. 
    Rather harshly put but I don't disagree with any of thr points. In particular about singles and manipulating he field early on to show intent. It's the sign of a class player and is obviously absent in Zaks game.
    It really did put me in mind of Warne's comment about Monty a few years ago.

He hasn't played 50 tests, he has played the same one 50 times.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Haines started the season in sensational form but has tailed off much like the whole Sussex side. Still a big talent but not currently in the best of nick, might be someone that needs a Lion's tour this winter.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Haines started the season really well but has fallen away quite badly. Probably the burden of captaining one of the worst/most inexperienced County sides ever. 

Without Mohammed Rizwan proving why he's one of the best in the world , Sussex would be even more of an embarrassment than they are currently. Just an absolute shambles 
  • Options
    The commentators did suggest that it might be Billings
    Thanks, was watching at work with the sound down
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    harsh to say that about hameed - he's the same age as zak crawley and still has years to refine his game. Clearly has something about him. 
  • Options
    Potts has bowled 10% more balls this season than any other bowler and 30% more than any other seamer. The modern way is for bowlers not to bowl too much for fear of injury. Strength and conditioning coaches have a job to do and their biggest task is to keep a player fit - as such, these days any niggles result in a bowler being told that they have to do certain exercises and not play for "x" number of weeks. Bowlers used to stay fit by playing. As Potts is doing. There never used to be central contracts either. I hear that people say that those bowlers of old ended up with issues later in life. I wouldn't mind betting that a lot of the ones that are constantly out injured suffer as many such issues later in life.

Potts plays in Division 2. We've always been told that runs and wickets in the second tier mean nothing. Which is why players at counties in Div 2 feel that they have to move. Another trend that Potts is bucking. But would if have got the call with the old regime and specifically the influence of his county team mate, the newly elected captain, Stokes?

• Options
    And Pott's somewhat left field selection rather brings me back to Ben Compton. Potts has less than a hundred First Class wickets but was called up. Compton has almost a thousand runs in Div 1. If Crawley is dropped eventually than why not Compton? 
  • Options
    Eoin Morgan officially announces his retirement from international cricket. Thank you eoin! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Massive shame he didnt have the form or fitness to see us through to the world cup and leave on a high there. But The emergence of Livingstone in that middle order probably made it a bit harder for him too. 

His impact on English cricket and international cricket is unbelievable.
  • Options
    Deserves to be in the same breath as brearley, Hussain and Vaughan in all time best/most impactful leaders of English cricket. Finally turned us into a great one day side. 
  • Options
    Deserves to be in the same breath as brearley, Hussain and Vaughan in all time best/most impactful leaders of English cricket. Finally turned us into a great one day side. 
    Special mention for Paul Collingwood, England's first World Cup winning captain.
  • Options
    The Edgbaston ticket exchange is awful and doesn’t work on my mobile, but quite a few tickets available for India this weekend still. I’ve had to put my 3 up on Sunday due to a wedding (South Lower block 36).
  • Options
    I've torn all the ligaments in my ankle so can't play for about a month. Very tempted to venture up solo to Edgbaston on Saturday
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    As a Sussex supporter, I would agree with that comment. However, Haines has become more reckless this season and given away his wicket too often. I am suspicious that Key has told to score at 5 an over and he is in the team. Scoring at 3.5 an over is fine.
  • Options
    Alice Davidson-Richards > Jamie Overton 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Special mention for Paul Collingwood, England's first World Cup winning captain.
    I didn’t realise Paul Collingwood captained the women in 1973. He really did have a long, interesting career didn’t he…
  • Options
    Harmer takes 15 wickets in the match as Essex beat Hants by 12 runs .. he is a remarkable bowler for Essex .. 2nd innings he bowled 32 overs on the trot .. 
    Essex v Hampshire - Cricket - BBC Sport