Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2022

Comments

• Options
    Incredible turnaround. 

There seems to be a lot of self belief in this new look England side 
  • Options
    Well, they've crafted a new all-rounder in the Bazball image. Actually, Sam Curran is a similar type. I wonder if someday there'll be a place for both. Curran will have to inherit Stokes' role for that, I think, which means more consistent batting scores. A FC hundred would be a start
  • Options
    Watched every ball today.
    Foakes hasn't had such a good match this time ,Boult was brilliant with the new ball,stokes a little too reckless, Overton a very pleasant surprise and YJB was brilliant. If we can get a first innings lead we will be favourites to chase anything..not forgetting that NZ only have 3 bowlers who are realistically capable of taking wickets. 

Its test cricket but not as we know it 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    All credit to JB and JOve. Excellent counter attcking innings and great fun to watch.

I would like to point out though, for all the talk of a new approach and attacking intent etc I think we got our tactics horribly wrong early in the innings. 

NZ have come into this match with 3 bowlers plus a couple of part timers. Their first spells were always going to be class but there was always going to be a period (and it would come very quickly) where the part timers come on and we can try and knock them out the attack and force the main 3 bowlers to bowl when tired. The aggressive thing to do would be to make sure we got through their first spells at worst down so we could take them on with wickets in hand. Pope Crawley Root and Stokes all could have done more about their wickets.
  • Options
    All credit to JB and JOve. Excellent counter attcking innings and great fun to watch.

I would like to point out though, for all the talk of a new approach and attacking intent etc I think we got our tactics horribly wrong early in the innings. 

NZ have come into this match with 3 bowlers plus a couple of part timers. Their first spells were always going to be class but there was always going to be a period (and it would come very quickly) where the part timers come on and we can try and knock them out the attack and force the main 3 bowlers to bowl when tired. The aggressive thing to do would be to make sure we got through their first spells at worst down so we could take them on with wickets in hand. Pope Crawley Root and Stokes all could have done more about their wickets.
    I think you are bang on with the approach first up but I think you have to give immense credit to boult for his opening spell...root and Pope were simply out to fantastic bowling...going to be a another great days cricket today if we get a lead and put more miles in the legs of boult ,southee and Wagner it will be interesting 
  • Options
    Interesting morning ahead. I do hope that Overton goes on to make a 100. had my doubts on Bairstow but boy has he delivered the last 2 tests.

Think Crawleys time is up, he has had plenty of chances to prove himself. Just hope England dont fold for 20 runs this morning and go on to have some sort of lead.
  • Options
    real shame that Overton just misses out on a perhaps one in a lifetime chance
  • Options
    You wanna bet? I mean, it could be. But it probably won't be
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Leuth said:
    You wanna bet? I mean, it could be. But it probably won't be
    bet how much .. Overton will not get a test century in the next three years ? .. I don't look too far forward as I am quite an ol geezer lol ((:>)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lovely cameo from Broad. Shame he didn’t get his 50.
  • Options
    Ahh. And JB goes next ball too. Shame. Great innings.
  • Options
    I remember Tudor getting stuck on 99. No idea why he didnt push to get to his 100. 
  • Options
    And why is Bairstow behind the stumps  ?  What's happened to Foakes ?
  • Options
    And why is Bairstow behind the stumps  ?  What's happened to Foakes ?
    Pain in his back evidently. 
    Resting as a precaution. 
  • Options
    I remember Tudor getting stuck on 99. No idea why he didnt push to get to his 100. 
    Thorpe robbed him. He ended up on 95 with one needed to win and edged a four aiming for six
  • Options
    It's been a bit old-fashioned and turgid today, hasn't it?  
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Thorpe robbed him. He ended up on 95 with one needed to win and edged a four aiming for six
    Worse was Ahterton's declaration leaving Hick two short of a maiden Test century; and Rahul Dravid declaring on 675-5 with Tendulkar 194*
  • Options
    Can we go off ever 10 minutes?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good catch straight after the break.
  • Options
    How has Broad not got a wicket in this spell.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Thorpe robbed him. He ended up on 95 with one needed to win and edged a four aiming for six.
    I think I remember Thorpe saying afterwards that he was urging Tudor to go for it when there was less than 10 to get but Tudor was more concerned about the win that getting g to 100.

No idea if that was true & never heard what Tudor made of it all. 

But Hck only had himself to blame. Spent ages in the 90's pushing & prodding iirc. 
  • Options
    Atherton sent a message out to Hick saying the time he would be declaring as they needed a certain time for turnaround of innings and to get bowling at them 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Strauss (c)
    Cook
    Trott
    Kp
    Root
    Bell
    Prior (w)
    Swann
    Jones
    Gough 
    Anderson

Ask me later and I'll change 5 of them.
    You do realise that England played outside of the 2010-11 Ashes, right
    Trescothick was far more entertaining than Cook and would have made a lot more runs, bar the mental health issues . 

Trescothick
    Vaughan (c)
    Root
    Pietersen
    Thorpe
    Stokes
    Prior
    Flintoff
    Swann
    Gough
    Anderson
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Leuth said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Strauss (c)
    Cook
    Trott
    Kp
    Root
    Bell
    Prior (w)
    Swann
    Jones
    Gough 
    Anderson

Ask me later and I'll change 5 of them.
    You do realise that England played outside of the 2010-11 Ashes, right
    Trescothick was far more entertaining than Cook and would have made a lot more runs, bar the mental health issues . 

Trescothick
    Vaughan (c)
    Root
    Pietersen
    Thorpe
    Stokes
    Prior
    Flintoff
    Swann
    Gough
    Anderson
    Yeah and I would have got more runs than Cook if it were not for the fact that I can’t play cricket 
  • Options
    Foakes positive for Covid

Billings replaces him 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Foakes positive for Covid

Billings replaces him 
    So yesterday's back problem was actually Covid
  • Options
    Kumar Sangakkara delivered a brilliant session yesterday on the technical and mental issues facing top order batsmen. It really was first class and he is, in my opinion, the best analyst of batting and keeping there is.
  • Options
    Local weather watch, perfect bowling conditions this morning, should become easier for batting later in the day.  The previously forecast rain seems to have gone.

The change in the weather forecast and the speed of England's first innings has taken the draw total off the table imo.