Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2022

Comments

• Options
    That was brain dead stupid. There is being attacking & being reckless. Thus is a Test match over 5 days, not a benefit game  ffs !!
  • Options
    Cant complain with 329 when they chose to bat first. Let's just hope we can stay competitive.....maybe even a lead  ?
    See Golfie - that's what happens when you choose to be optimistic. I almost prefer the old Golfie. Almost!
    Ok, I'll revert to type. 

I think today is where our attacking mode of play will come a cropper. One or both of these get out before tea then we might be lucky to get to 150. 

What is the follow on anyway...?

We need 130. NZ won't enforce it anyway as they won't want to be batting last.
    When does the follow on become 150 behind...?  Is it if you score under 300 ??
  • Options
    Yeah, that was way too far. You don't need to hit every ball for six! 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Our attacking mode of play is the only thing that can possibly save us here
    There has to be a balance though. It's a bit like constantly bowling bouncers - if you know what's coming virtually every ball you can set plans for that
  • Options
    Oh dear.

Relying on DRS now.
  • Options
    If you thought Stokes was aggressive, wait until you see J Overton... 
  • Options
    I understand NZ probably wont enforce the follow on, but when you have a team on the ropes like we are you could have the match all wrapped up tonight or by lunch tomorrow.

England aren't going to go into their shells & grind out 300 now are they. 
  • Options
    Cant complain with 329 when they chose to bat first. Let's just hope we can stay competitive.....maybe even a lead  ?
    See Golfie - that's what happens when you choose to be optimistic. I almost prefer the old Golfie. Almost!
    Ok, I'll revert to type. 

I think today is where our attacking mode of play will come a cropper. One or both of these get out before tea then we might be lucky to get to 150. 

It's determined by the length of the match.  In a five-day match it's 200; three- or four-day matches: 150; two-day match, 100
  • Options
    It is time, if only for Crawley's mental health, that he is dropped now. I'm really not sure his confidence could be any lower and the only way to restore it is to take him out of the firing line.
    *cough* Robson *cough*
  • Options
    Whilst our victory in the 2nd Test was down to some breath taking attacking batting.
    I felt favour fortuned the brave on the day and would be unlikely to do so on the majority of occasions.
    I couldn't understand why "commentators" were saying it was England's new attacking mode.
    As far as I can see our Test batsman have been failing for years, because they were already too attacking and lacking in patience.
    My cricket mates agreed.
    Today, I feel is the most likely outcome if you attempt to bat T20 style in Tests.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2022
    I understand NZ probably wont enforce the follow on, but when you have a team on the ropes like we are you could have the match all wrapped up tonight or by lunch tomorrow.

Well exactly, part of me hopes they do enforce it and bowl us out again by the end of the day.

Might nip some of this 'no compromise, positivity. attacking cricket' in the bud. I'm all for it, but you need to be clever about it and play the situation in front of you, as it's not going to work on pitches where the ball is moving or spinning. 
  • Options

NZ don't get anything extra for winning it early though. The only thing that might influence enforcing the follow on is any forecast bad weather.
  • Options

NZ don't get anything extra for winning it early though. The only thing that might influence enforcing the follow on is any forecast bad weather.
    There is weather about over the next couple of days.  After yesterday's play I was convinced it would be a draw....... 
  • Options
    JB's shot before drinks reminded me of an old saying.

" Fortune favours the brave".
    Or not.....
  • Options
    That was a Saturday afternoon co-ordinated appeal from a club side that persuaded the Umpire to give it out. Fortunately Overton has a right of appeal.
  • Options
    Ok, I'll revert to type. 

150 is the follow on total in county cricket. Test cricket is always 200.
  • Options
    I for one have enjoyed Nick Knight and Mark Butcher being part of the sky coverage on the test match. Very good commentators.
  • Options
    We've survived the follow on.

Next target is to get the deficit below 3 figures.

Still a long long way to go before we are close to parity. 
  • Options
    Id still bite your hand off for 100 behind after both teams have batted. 
  • Options
    Crazy run rate. More than 5 an over & its not like we are trying to set up a declaration or are in a run chase  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    If you thought Stokes was aggressive, wait until you see J Overton... 
    :)
  • Options
    Great partnership between Bairstow and Overton - difference between aggressive and reckless. Now please don't give it up to a part timer.
  • Options
    I am really confused if I think this makes Stokes getting out worse or vindicated 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I am really confused if I think this makes Stokes getting out worse or vindicated 
    Worse - he tried to hit too many balls and with the big shot at that. The punch down the ground just now from Bairstow followed by the tennis smash from Overton to much the same area demonstrated that there are many different ways to get the same result. Both are positive. 
  • Options
    Well done Johnny Bairstow!!!
  • Options
    Well done Johnny Bairstow!!!
    In such good form.

Must admit I wanted him drooped, he was getting out the same way too often, but glad to have been wrong.
    He's had a remarkable come back. In his last three series he's hit four hundreds against Australia, the Windies and NZ (2), scoring 697 runs and averaging 53.62 
  • Options
    Brilliant batting from Bairstow and Overton, every chance we could have a first innings lead now.  Not looking likely when we were 55-6
  • Options
    I for one have enjoyed Nick Knight and Mark Butcher being part of the sky coverage on the test match. Very good commentators.
    Don't think Sky have a bad commentator for test matches. All absolutely superb, lovely to have Mel Jones over too. Niall O'Brien makes me want to tear my ears off though in the shorter form stuff